1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Three Indonesian girls beheaded

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Oct 29, 2005.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

They were on their way to a Christian school.
    ***​
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4387604.stm

Three Indonesian girls beheaded
    By Tim Johnston
    BBC News, Jakarta

Three girls have been beheaded and another badly injured as they walked to a Christian school in Indonesia.

They were walking through a cocoa plantation near the city of Poso in central Sulawesi province when they were attacked.

This is an area that has a long history of religious violence between Muslims and Christians.

A government-brokered truce has only partially succeeded in reducing the number of incidents in recent years.

Police say the heads were found some distance from the bodies.

It is unclear what was behind the attack, but the girls attended a private Christian school and one of the heads was left outside a church leading to speculation that it might have had a religious motive.

Islamic state

Central Sulawesi and Poso in particular was the scene of bitter fighting between Muslims and Christians in 2001 and 2002.

Flashpoints: Sulawesi

More than 1,000 people were killed before a government-brokered truce.

Although the violence has been subdued, it has never gone away completely.

A bomb in May in the nearby town of Tentena, which is predominantly Christian, killed 22 people and injured over 30.

The fighting four years ago drew Islamic militants from all over Indonesia and many have never gone home.

Analysts say the militants have targeted central Sulawesi and believe that it could be turned into the foundation stone of an Islamic state.

The analysts have warned that the violence could resurface at any time.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Absolutely horrible

What's up with Muslims and beheadings, btw??

3. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

jumping to conclusions?

show me once, where in the article it says that muslims did this?

ill answer your question after it is established that (if) a muslim did this... :rolleyes:

4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I'm sure the Muslim community will condemn them and then say it's the west's fault for oppressing them, and that Islam is a religion of peace and that they can't control a few bad apples - whether it's Indonesia, India, Spain or where-ever. Oh yeah, don't forget - if you criticize Islam in Holland - you'll get shot. And if you make a snowcone that sort of looks like the word for Allah when turned sideways - you could get shot as well.

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"It is unclear what was behind the attack, but the girls attended a private Christian school and one of the heads was left outside a church leading to speculation that it might have had a religious motive."

ignoring the obvious?

6. NewYorker

Dude, time to stop living in denial.

7. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

At least the Indonesian government is cracking down on terrorists.
    ***​
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9849985/

Indonesia terrorists' sentences cut for holiday?
    Officials say celebrations marking the end of Ramadan allow for leniency
    Updated: 11:34 a.m. ET Oct. 28, 2005

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesian officials said Friday that all prisoners, including a reputed leader of the militant group suspected in bombings on the island of Bali, may have their sentences reduced as part of celebrations marking the end of Ramadan.

Indonesia traditionally cuts prison terms on national holidays — usually for several months — for the country’s 105,000 inmates who exhibit good behavior. Only those sentenced to death or life in prison are excluded.

“In principle, we all are concerned by sentence reductions for those convicted for terrorist activities, but as long as the current law is not revised, those who deserve it will have their jail terms reduced,” said Kartono Supangat, director general of the Justice and Human Rights Ministry.

He said the prisoners under consideration will include Abu Bakar Bashir, the alleged spiritual leader of the militant group Jemaah Islamiyah, who is serving a 30-month jail term for his role in the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings that killed 202 people. The group also is suspected in the Oct. 1 suicide bombings in Bali that left 23 people dead.

Five terror suspects on death row
    Indonesian authorities have arrested and brought to trial dozens of terror suspects in the last three years, sentencing several important Jemaah Islamiyah members — including Bashir. Five are on death row.

Bashir’s sentence was reduced by 4½ months in August as part of Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrations. The sentences of 18 others convicted in the 2002 bombings were also reduced, and one person was freed at the time.

On Thursday, the United States warned Americans to avoid nonessential travel to Indonesia, saying the Oct. 1 suicide bombing showed that terrorists were still active.

The warning came hours before Jakarta’s police chief disclosed at least 18 sites in the capital are potential targets of bomb attacks ahead of and during next week’s celebration of the end of Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting.

Supangat said the sentence reductions would be announced during next week’s Eid-al-Fitr celebration at the end of Ramadan.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

8. NewYorker

"You bad boys - stop killing foreigners and christians - that's bad bad bad - we need their tourism dollars, now go to the corner and stay there until Ramadan...and if you do it again, we'll have to get tough and make you go back!"

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You're right. Buddhist monks are more than likely to blame... :rolleyes:

10. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

it's a quick death....plus it has a psychological edge.

you guys are quick at finding articles that might involve muslims in a negative way....you have to understand there are around 1 billion muslims in this world.....and by 2025 it's going to be around 2 billion....so hey... there are going to be a lot more articles for you to feed your hate with. :D

11. insane man

insane man Member

you know indonesia is a democracy right?

12. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

I read the article. I won't "ignore the obvious" and I will recognize that these were Muslims who did this. Now tell me what do you want me to do. Do you want me to convert? Do you want me to come out and say that everyone in my faith condones beheadings and are savages. Please tell me what you would like for me to do.Thanks.

13. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

You're a funny guy.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just acknowledge that the threat of violence from extremist Islamists is very real. It's only a small percentage of the Muslim population but they are probably the biggest violent threat in the world right now.

15. Major

Major Member

Who exactly doesn't acknowledge this? Just because a bunch of idiot posters can't read and stereotype people by ignoring what they say doesn't mean that those people actually don't understand this.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well, he asked. I think most people do understand it. Though are some people who seem to think it's the West's fault in the first place, though those are probably in the minority.

17. insane man

insane man Member

no. i think some people perhaps reasonable believe that 'the west' contributes to this. obviously the geopolitical situation has a role to play in these terrorist acts. to deny that is ignorance.

but when people say this is wrong. it should be condemned. i condemn it. they seem to be ridiculed at only offering lip service. well what more can individuals do?

terrorism isn't something individuals can personally defeat. only governments can.

18. NewYorker

The day I read about a protest in the Arab/Islamic world about a protest against terrorism is the day I will actually start to believe that Islam is a religion of peace and Muslims really do want to stop these fanatics.

It would be a great day to even see a march in Cairo - against Osama Bin Laden - saying "Hey, these guys don't represent us. Whatever are issues with the west are, we don't want these guys representing us".

But right now, I just can't see that happening.

19. Major

Major Member

Why would they? It's not their issue. Terrorism is *our* issue - why would they be protesting it? When some small group of Christians or other Westerners does something unethical in some other country, you don't see us holding a big protest saying "those people don't represent us" here. Why would it be different there?

20. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

When you hear about a beheading, intolerance, suicide bomber, extremist, militant, explosion or terrorist, there is only one logical conclusion about who it is referring to. It doesn't take a monkey to figure it out.

I'm guessing the Buddist monks had nothing to do with this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4388292.stm