1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

zhang ziyi, Gong li, Michelle Yeoh in Memoirs of a geisha, anyone offended by this??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xenochimera, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

AFAIK, Speilberg has nothing to do with this movie. Rob Marshall, director of Chicago, is the director.

2. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

yeah i do know its written by an american author, who also happend to got sued by the japanese geisha he got the story from. perhaps i am overreacting, but i just dont see this as merely a movie, regardless its all opinion.

3. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

first of all, how's this still in the "hangout?"

second: "film" "actors" "acting."
    :rolleyes:

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I always wonder if people who use the phrase "man card" actually have a "man card". :p ;)

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have a man card. Its my VIP access card to The Men's Club. :D

6. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Platinum:
    [​IMG]

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am impressed. :eek:

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd like to introduce you to the holocaust... Look at how many movies have been made about it... simply because it is a horrible story doesn't mean it isn't a story that NEEDS to be told. Many Jews have played Nazis in movies and vice versa... it's not the end of the world, and it certainly isn't a big deal.

#68 Svpernaut, Oct 28, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is it me, or do Chinese get unusually wound up about movies? I remember the threads here about all the political undercurrents in Hero and some were quite offended by a perceived pro-authoritarian message. I'm not saying that these things aren't present in either movie; they are; but why does it have to be a calamity?

10. aries323

aries323 Member

No, I agree, they do. Not all, but it seems like their since of humor is quite different from the Western. Now I know that Chinese Americans are like you and I but not too sure about those mainlanders. :confused:

11. aries323

aries323 Member

The more I read these threads started by Chinese concerning anti-Japanese topics, the more I`m beginning to think that the Chinese educational system is teaching hate for the Japanese as to lets say unite the billions of Chinese running around that big arse country over there. anyway, cant we just get along. :confused:

12. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

well I dont know about you guys.. but I think they should have cast Korean girls LOL can you believe thats Boomer from Battle Star Galactica?

[​IMG]

damn

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well first off it's not really about movies per se. Both the Hero thread and this thread is actually about socio-political topics, which just happen to be brought up by movies. In that vein, the only reason that you hear Chinese people getting riled up on this board is simply because Yao has brought a lot Chinese fans on the board. If Yao was Korean, I'm sure there would have been a few political threads featuring a heated debate about North/South Korea.

That being said, Chinese people definitely have an inferiority complex. It's a massive country with a long and storied civilization. But it's also had a very stormy past with much internal turmoil and many battles against outside invaders. Not to mention the fact that China has isolated it's country for many years, and spent a number of years with very little international clout.

Much like Canada being in the shadow of an 800 pound gorilla in the United States, China was sandwiched by the influences of Soviet Union and Japan for over half a century.

Now with China on the rise, you'll hear Chinese people trying to address the slights of the past (actual slights as well as perceived), with an anger and defensivness that has simmered through years of being "pushed around" and "victimized". And righteous anger is always the one that burns the hottest.

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

aries323, you better make clear what you mean by "that big arse country."

No, I wouldn't even give you benefit of the doubt. You are a semi-jap *******.

Like I said, you haven't learned enough from your jap masters. At least they know working non-stop for long hours without complaining. Didn't you say you want some female companions? Go screw some geishas.

#74 wnes, Oct 29, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Everytime one of these threads come up, I don't really know which side of the fence to stand on. Being a 1.5 generation Chinese American (not ABC but came here when I was around 7 - 8), it's hard for me to agree with either side reall.

On one hand, I'm irritated as hell when a non - Chinese brush of what happened to China and says move on (why does the Jews get all the sympathy in the media, history books, what I happenend in China and the amount of people that died is just as great if not greater, but we never seem to get love). On the other hand, I constantly found my self arguing with some other Chinese about not letting go and regurgitating the hate in threads like this. When I saw this thread, I was thinking "here we go again, another over reaction". If you are Chinese you should definitely remember what happened but don't hold it over your head like it's everything to you, this in the large scheme of things isn't that big of deal.

I think the feeling of something major in my culture's history being brushed off is something a lot of minoritty on this board feels. We carry a lot of baggage with us and no one seems to give a damn, and the Asian voice never seem to get united enough to make and real noise or get real consideration that a lot of other minorities do.

On the other hand, I see a lot of Chinese posters, not just on this board but on others (even some Chinese ones as well) taking up the cause, getting worked up over minute things mostly stemming from teenage angst (even among 20+ years olds) as an outlet from what I believe is the root cause overbearing parents, confucist culture, expectatitions etc. This scares me because I see this is the same attitude a lot of youths had before the cultural revolution.

#75 wizkid83, Oct 29, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  16. aries323

aries323 Member

wow. you are one ugly muh-fugga. what i meant was that China is one BIG arse country. Maybe I should say it is "Chinormous"? "Chongnormous"?
    What the f**k is a Jap Master? and yeah, I could always use some female companions along with the ones I have now. I dont see a problem with that. You a f@ggot or something? sure sounds like it.
    anyway, I'm done with you, so I'm gonna take your idiotic comment and go screw some chinese hoz cause they all over the place here Tokyo... ;)

17. aries323

aries323 Member

wnes... this is you bud, word by word. think about it. ;)

18. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

aries323: you need to calm down. Everyone posting on this thread agrees that Xenochimera is outta line, yet you continue insult him personally and childishly reword his post, and now you start attacking other members on the board. If you feel someone is insulting you, just report it and be done with it.

19. aries323

aries323 Member

consider it done. but Jap master...? c'mon. give me a break. lol. :rolleyes:

20. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

i'm chinese, get over it !