1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

memoirs of a geisha, anyone else offended by this??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xenochimera, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

just goes to show you, you dont have to be a majority race to be racist.

I thin it is very obvious...some chinese think Japanese people are dirt, so by portraying japanese people, the chinese ladies in question are somehow wrong.

ok gotcha...thanks for sharing..next time..keep it to yourself.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yea, something about Xenochimera claiming racism and then using the term "jap" over and over again in his rant is very comical.

I thought there was a minimum age limit on this BBS.

3. aries323

aries323 Member

I think this guy XENOCHIMERA is just a racist idiot and I also like the rest of you find it comical, not offensive of what he is saying. For your own sake as well as ours, stay out of the D & D Xenochimera. you`re an idiot and should be ashamed of what you are saying, I just hope that this racist feeling of Xenochimera towards the Japanese isnt the majority cause like 1/5 of the population of the world are Chinese.

4. aries323

aries323 Member

yeah so this might be old but whatever umm i saw this on a Japnese site that my parents visit, and now i am ****ing pissed that they actually accepted roles for this movie. oh sure call me a racist whatever, that son of a b**** Spielberg actually decided to use Japanese women, and portray them as exotic sex idols in a Chink movie!! and decided to use Yamazaki Ayumi as some b**** mistress who mistreats those below her. the implication goes beyond the big screen, a Chink story that uses Japanese women?? but with a Chink actor(Chan) as the main male actor?!?!?! man if i were any of the actresses, i wouldnt have accpeted this role at all, they have all the fame and money that they need and now they are practically degrading themselves. yes i know they are not prostitutes, but they are pretty damn close to being prostitutes. how pissed would african americans be if they used say i dont know some purto rican dude to play ray charles...wait thats not even a fair comparison, say they used gee uhhh tom hank to play hmmmmm say bin laden!!, common cant they just find some Chink chicks to do this movie?? i am so bootlegging this movie and selling it!!!!

5. aries323

aries323 Member

tell me... does this offend you Xenochimera?

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I won't respond to Xeno's comments because of his own racial slurs and he's made it obvious that he can't seperate actors from the roles they play.

But I couldn't stand either Jude Law or Nicole Kidman in Cold Mountain. It was because of their accents and the fact that I didn't think they fit the part. Jude Law wasn't as bad as Nicole Kidman. I couldn't even stand the thought of Bridget Jones so the casting of Zellwegger didn't matter to me.

But I think a certain authenticity in casting is appropriate for films that are supposed to be serious period pieces that want to evoke a time and place much different than the here and now. I am a westerner but I was still baffeled and confused by having Chinese actresses in the lead roles in this film.

Depending on the physical appearance and ability of the actors some folks can get away with it. Daniel Day Lewis can get away with almost anything. It doesn't detract, because he has an adaptable look. Maybe if I watched Geisha long enough I would get past the fact that the actresses are clearly out of place in ancient Japan, but it seems like the movie will suffer in quality because of it.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'd like to throw another comparison into the mix.

Isn't this just the same as Don Cheadle, an american, playing a Rwandan? I mean, sure his roots go back to Africa, but he wasn't born there and I'm pretty sure his ancestors didn't come from Rwanda.

Oh yeah, why do you keep calling them sluts, Xeno? Geisha's aren't prostitutes. I mean, people could buy the right to take their virginity, but the Geisha was not obligated to have sex. So quit being so offensive.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

What rock did this Xenophobic buttclown crawl out of?

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Thats exactly why people shouldnt get too worked up over a Chinese person playing a Japanese role. Now, if it as somethign like Jerry Lewis' Chinaman routine or the Charlie Chan movies, then thats a differnt story.

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

so am i racist for being frustrated that my son now says the pledge allegiance in both english and spanish?

I mean, it really pisses me off. I'm all for globalization, a one world economy and breaking down social borders, but the thought that an english speaking country now has to say is pledge in another language seems so contrary to me.

11. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

You guys in the D&D need to step it up. The hangout thread is better. :p ;)

12. hotballa

hell no you aint a racist. The rudest thing for someone to do when they come over to my house is pop their feet on my coffee table like it's their own place. Guess what, you come over to my house, you live by my rules. English is the language of this country.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

List of things for "Xenochimera" to do:

1) Stop drinking vodka IMMEDIATELY
    2) Stop watching TV and Movies IMMEDIATELY
    3) Stop posting on the clutchfans BBS IMMEDIATELY

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you serious?? Wow. First I've heard of that happening. If they have to give it, you'd think they could learn the English version by rote.

Keep D&D Civil.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

You obviously have never been to Miami...or Long Island for that matter!

16. hotballa

I've been to Long Island. People need to stop teaching their kids all this Cultural Pride awareness bs and get in line with the fact that we live in America and that we need to know English well enough so that our dreams are in English. Everytime a pledge of allegiance is said in a language other than English, a kitten gets killed. Please think of the kittens

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it is racist, but I would be happy that your son has the opportunity to learn an extra language at school. The more of two langauges that he speaks the better off he will be because of it.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Actually every time I hear the pledge (in any language) I feel like strangling a kitten myself.....what a crock of ****....with liberty and justice for all my ass....but that's just my opinion ;)

19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

This sentiment, I agree with. The context is what is wrong. I understand that given the greatly increasing hispanic population, learning spanish is somewhat of a necessity. I myself am bi-lingual. But when saying an oath to a country, the native tounge is the only language this should be spoken in.

More people would probably have a problem with this if the second language were to be german or french, but the principle is still the same.

Teach my son how to speak spanish and I am greatful. Teach my son how to say the pledge in Spanish and I am fearful that we are losing our identity.

20. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

look people, what i said is my opinion, i feel that this movie should have a different cast instead of the current one. sorry if i offended anyone.