1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

zhang ziyi, Gong li, Michelle Yeoh in Memoirs of a geisha, anyone offended by this??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xenochimera, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

It could be worse:

[​IMG]

2. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

i feel as if when these actresses signed up for these roles they are like destroying their careers, gong li is an amazing actress, shes plays some pretty good stuff (to live, farewell my concubine) and numerous others, this role portrays her as a headmaster who abuses zhang ziyi (as someone pointed out already, isnt that pretty in real life). most people here and abroad probably do not understand the issues that are in existance between the chinese and japanese, as well as koreans and japanese. this role is viewed as a degredation of chinese women in general. how about this role, a jewish actress playing as a german prostitute during world war 2?? or even better, a jewish actress playing hitler's lover, eva something i believe. or danzel washington playing a slave master, its just an insult to the entire race.

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

The ppl offended by this are obviously a small minority. This movie has been in the works for a couple of years now.

My only stink is that it's another great book ruined by the big screen.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Meh... If you're looking for a realistic portrayal in a Hollywood movie, then there's greater issues to be had.

5. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

who cares?

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember the rioting in '93 when Joy Luck Club came out - Vietnamese and Japanese actresses played Chinese characters.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Yall really need something to worry about. ITS A FREAKING MOVIE!! GET OVER IT!!

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm with you. I could care less. Just pointing out why some may be offended.

9. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Whats the movie called?

10. aries323

aries323 Member

whats this *Jap* $hit your using to refer to Japanese people, what I cant believe is that they used some *chink* biaaatches to portray Japanese whores... ;)

11. aries323

aries323 Member

Oh, this is getting fun

12. aries323

aries323 Member

and with your reference to Ray Charles being portrayed by a Puerto Rican... or Tom Hanks portraying Bin Laden, one of the most idiotic humorous BS I`ve heard in a long time. :rolleyes:

13. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Wow, attack his stupidity with your own idiotcy, what a display of characters!

14. aries323

aries323 Member

I guess its not the best way to approach it, but I was kinda shocked, you know... this guy here asks if anyone is offended by this...? Sorry if I offended anyone except the thread starter

15. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

It's pretty simple really.

The movie is to be done in English and there were simply no outstanding English-speaking Japanese actresses that could have been selected for the roles.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'll be offended if Zhang Ziyi doesn't get naked in the movie.

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Spielberg's just producing it. Rob Marshall's directing it. This is the same guy who brought us Chicago. If anything I'd be more offended by this Wisconsinites ability in making an Asian themed film with only a theatre background. Cuz we all remeber what them boys in theatre we're like back in highschool.

18. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

19. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

from what i read about this film, its an all Asian cast. they dont have the actresses paired up with sum white guy, so i will check it out.

20. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

You guys have to be kidding me, they are called actors for a reason.