1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

car salesman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Oct 26, 2005.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

What do you really think about them? I just got hired at a Toyota dealership and this would greatly help me understand customers better. Im relatively new to sales and this is something I've always wanted to try out.

2. droxford

droxford Member

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Don't let anyone knock you in your chosen profession. Unless they pay your bills, don't listen to them.

Sell them cars to whoever buys them.

I don't really like the car buying process the way its set up...but if people are willing to pay what they pay, that is where the price is set.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, if this is something you want to do, then you should go for it. I have never thought that I had the personality to be a salesman, but you may have that outgoing, pushy personality that helps one to succeed in that business, chow_yun_fat. :p ;)

Seriously, I hope it works out for you. Just remember to save your paychecks wisely as most car salesmen (maybe all) have to earn their money by commissions and the winter months are hard on the car selling business.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You've got my dream job! One day when I retire early, that's something I'm going to check out.

Knowledge - Know the cars, know the price.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is when you know more about the car than the salesman. You'll lose a ton of respect when you don't know the answer to simple questions or worse - give the wrong answer.

If you are dealing new cars:
    Know the differences between model years. Know the differences between packages. Know the basic specs on each package. Know what's new on next year's model.

If you are dealing in used cars:
    It may be impossible to do the same with new cars since you will be dealing with n-number of car types, but do your best to know each car. Know which cars are a piece of junk or at least which car is better than another. Sell the best car you can for the price they are looking for.

But most important to me - Know what price you can/should sell a car for. If you ever have to "go talk to your manager" - you've lost me. If you actually do have to go talk to your manager, just tell them you have to look something up or check something out. Most consumers today know what you can and should sell them a car for - you should too.

Enjoy, smile in the beginning but not too much during closing.

6. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

I sold cars for about 3 months. The worst 3 months of my life might I add. That whole business is just one big screw job after another. All this money they say you'll get, you won't. The bonuses they say you will be paid after X number of cars sold, they'll find a reason not to pay you. Whether it's holding back on deals, or changing what determines an actual "sale." One month they flat out said they didn't have any money to pay bonuses, but they'd make it up to us the following month. (I didn't stick around to find out) Oh you'll see one or two guys get the bonus to let all the other suckers know that it is on some level possible, but it's not really. Expect to work 70+ hours a week, get deals stolen from you by lowlifes that have worked there for 20 years. Expect to be expected to clap like a complete idiot after some manager gives a lame speech about how great the salesmen are, and how they'd be nowhere with out you. Expect to be treated like dirt by mostly everyone that walks through the door that you're trying to help. If you work there even just 1 month, expect to see about 50 people get fired/hired. Fact: Only about 10 people get paid at a dealership, and you most likely will not be one of them.

Good luck though, perhaps you'll fair better than I did. One little bit of advice, do not trust anyone at a car dealership, especially the customers.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

and I thought it was the other way around. :D

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

and don't forget their mechanics. They'll steal your Twix and then deny it!

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Wear a lot of cologne. I mean drown yourself in it. It works every time.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

congratulations on the new job!!

just treat people with respect and you'll do great.

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

My worst experience with car dealers is the way they pounce on you as soon as you start looking and then when you say your just looking they stay about 5 feet from you just hovering. Please dont do that ;)

Be yourself, be HONEST and sincere, alot of time you can see right through the BS

12. Fatty FatBastard

Is this a jab on me?

13. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Actually one of the only true things that I learned is that the customer lies more then the sales staff. An old saying around the dealership was that if "their lips are moving they're lying." It could be about their credit, their job, that they'll back, "they are going to buy from you", any number of things.

I will say this, the article that someone provided a link to several posts ago, is very very very accurate. That was my experience to a tee. It has almost every good tip on not getting screwed on a deal.

Just remember, you will NEVER beat the dealership. Just try and not to get screwed too much and you've won.

At least the experience will almost guarantee that not only will I never get taken on a car deal in the future, but I’ll take about 1/8 of the time a normal person to complete the deal. :D

14. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Uh, no - would you like it to be a jab on you?

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

#1 thing about sales: Believe in your product. It shows if you do, and it shows if you don't.

17. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

learn to lie....and know your sh*t about the cars....and be able to read what kind of customer you have....if it's an old lady...expect her to know little.....lie all you want....so basically read your customer before you start lie #1.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Don't listen to this crap. The last thing you want to do in sales is lie. Not only is it morally wrong and will eventually get to you, it is misrepresentation and subject to lawsuits.

...and no, I was never in car sales.

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Chow Yun Fat should be able to draw a lot of customers, at least the Chinese ones, to your dealership.

So I wouldn't be worried...

...only if you are the real one though. :)

#19 RocketForever, Oct 27, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  20. tested911

tested911 Member

I was thinking of getting another job. And care salesman seems like a good way to go. Commission base and flexible?

Is Sterling Mcall Toyota hiring? I have no care sales experience so I'm not sure if they would hire. I've done some sales