1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teams set to unravel

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jopatmc, Oct 27, 2005.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What teams are set to go down the tubes? I'm not talking about the Hornets and Raptors. Everybody knows they will be bad. But what teams that either made the playoffs or barely missed the playoffs are set to unwind big time into the lottery?

My opinion:

Boston-possible implosion from within with Doc and PP

Portland-they're already dysfunctioning and the season hasn't begun. Nate will wind up cleaning house and rebuilding through the lottery.

Philadelphia-Iverson can't do it alone and Webber is washed up. I think they will struggle big time.

Sonics-lost coach, key players and others are in contract years, looking for big money. I think they are in danger of falling down to the lottery.

Lakers-not enough talent, experience, or brains to run the triangle for Big Chief.

Phoenix-lost a lot of players and then lost Amare for most of the season due to injury. They may make the playoffs but they are a shell of last year's team and could be in danger of getting beat out at the end of the year.

Clippers-how many times have they been "supposed to make the playoffs" only to underperform and cheap ole Sterling clear the deck at the trade deadline?

Minnesota-do they really have the pieces? Kandi man? Cassell gone? What did they get to replace him with? Garnett doesn't like Wally. They could very easily crater again.

2. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

When it comes to doing less than conventional wisdom expects, I agree with you on Portland, Seattle and Phoenix, though nobody expects the Blazers to do anything. They may end up with the worst record in the conference, below the Hornets. As stated many times before, the lovefest for the Suns mystifies me.

3. aries323

aries323 Member

Its pretty obvious to me that its gonna be us, Spurs, Mavs, Sac, and Den, and maybe Min in the West. If GS can do something I wouldnt be surprised, as well as the clips.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'd hardly say the Suns are unravelling. I know that preseason doesn't mean anything, but they're 5-2 and scoring 104 per game. Nash is averaging 9 assists in 25 minutes per game! They still have Marion, and James Jones looks like he can play. If they can keep it together until Amare comes back, I think they can win 50 and get a fifth or sixth seed. With a fresh Amare for the playoffs, they could pull a first round upset

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

GS. Dav is is the baron of unravelling.

6. Toast

Toast Member

They're a big question mark. If they get off to a good start, look out, they might make some noise all season & beyond. If they get off to a rough start, they'll compete with the Jail Blazers for worst team in the league.

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Why do you think Garnett doesn't like Wally?

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I disagree about Philly. AI has shown he can do it alone, that's the way it's been his whole career. Iguodala is going to be better as will Korver, and maybe Dalembert. I think they're a lock for the playoffs barring injury.

9. Billyp

Billyp Contributing Member

Yeah Philly will have a good year. Mo Cheeks is a great coach for that team and they have some young talent that's getting better. I still think Dallas is going to self-destruct sometime during the season. Dirk was exposed during the playoffs, there leader is gone (Finley), and AJ has to be getting on everyone's nerves. There's going to be a showdown between either Terry and Johnson over PG play or Dampier and Johnson because that guy just plain sucks and I'm sure he will like being called out by a 5 foot guy with a big mouth.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Blazers have been unraveling for years.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Seattle - they played over their heads with Nate. w/o him they will not be nearly as good.

Lakers - Highly unlikely that Odom will ever realize his potential, even moreso with Kobe at his side. Kobe is a great talent, but he isn't a leader, and he obviously has trouble letting anyone else lead. Kwame, Mihm, Mckie and the rest of the sidekicks suck.

Bulls - counting on a skinny guy with back problems to man the center position with no backup in sight. I don't think their season will necessarily go down the crapper(too deep for that), but they could easily regress and miss the playoffs in what now is a competitive eastern conference.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Boston will definitely sink this year; they've been playing it coy about Paul Pierce for awhile now---probably haven't been able to get value for him; or they don't want season ticket sales to suffer too much, so wait to trade him mid-season, if the playoffs look unreachable.

Why Philadelphia traded for Webber, I'll never know. I can understand making a change, but Webber has been breaking down for awhile now. They might just make or just miss the playoffs, say, anywhere from the 7th to 10th seed.

Portland has already unravelled. They need to make some roster moves. They won't compete for another couple/few years.

I'll agree with you on Seattle. Ray Allen will bemoan not signing elsewhere. He can't complain about the money, to be sure. Still, they'll likely miss the playoffs.

Clippers? They're always a mess. Funny thing is, they might sneak into the playoffs. Might.

Lakers need to make some moves or they'll be on the outside looking in, once again. And we all know that Kobe doesn't need free time on his hands during the summer.

T-Wolves are in trouble. Wally will light it up while Spree struggles to feed his family, but they'll miss the postseason again. Sad; might even have to trade Garnett (maybe I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself here).

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

is Seattle really an unravelling?

Nobody expected them to do so well last year.

They'll probably have the type of year that was being predicted last off-season.

14. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Many of the teams mentioned are known bad, so it will be no suprise if Portland,
    Minnisota (Garnett is alone and hurting) , Boston (young and rebuilding and looking to move Pierce), Oklahoma City, Charlotte, Atlanta lose a lot.
    I think the Knicks are in for a long year with the Marbury, Crawford, Richardson mess, but especially because they expect Jerome James and "If I Only Had Some Heart" Curry, to become effective defensive centers. Much room for dissapiontment.

Miami has championship expectations with on older Shaq and a cast of me first payers. I think their GM is desperate to get back into coaching and find himself a five million dollar per year contract somewhere, so he put together a flashy, disfunctional team.

The Nets lack upfront size and strength. I hope they become the Suns of the east. But, They have high expectations and are one Jason Kid injury from a .500 year.

The Warriors, another team that is one injury to an injury prone player away from missing the playoffs , after a summer of hope and hype. They have great fans, good lookin uniforms, no effectice post or power players, and need the great when he is healthy Baron Davis, to stay healthy.

On the subject of great players who need to stay healthy, how many games do the Rockets win if Tracy loses the battle to either bad knees or, more likley, bad back.

15. foodworld

foodworld Member

New Joisey. People have been snookered into thinking that Vince is the Vince of old because he plays with Jason Kidd. But he isn't, not by a long shot.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Teams like Portland, Clippers, Lakers, and Minni can only move up. They were already lottery teams last season so I don't see how they could go down the tube. But for Boston, Philly, PHO, and especially the Sonics, I completely agree.

Portland- Has a nice group of young talent, and I mean real young. They basically already cleared house (except for Miles). Telfair, Webster, Randolph, Pryzbilla, Dixon aren't really expected to do anything this season or next, but they could turn into a Bulls type team 2-3 years from now.

Clippers- Cassell, Mobley, Maggettee, Brand, Kaman? That's a pretty good lineup, but something always happens to keep the Clips from making the playoffs.

Lakers- I don't see how they could be any worst that last season. I expect Odom to have a much more productive season, Kobe will be Kobe, Phil will be Phil. Don't see them making the playoffs this season, but they should be better.

Minni- I take back what I said, they could actually be a lot worst than last season.

17. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Denver. Carmelo Anthony already talking about his disire for a max contract. Maybe goodby team ball, hello AI in blue?

18. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Cliippers. At some point Cuttino, Sam, and Corey stop passing.
    This team could be good if Sam and Cuttino decide that Maggette has to be the go to guy and a 25 point per night scorer. Chances of this happening?

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm shocked that not one person mentioned CHI or ORL! think about it...

1. mia
    2. ind
    3. njn (playoff seeding)
    4. det
    5. cle

forget about atl, bos, cha, and tor. you are left with was, nyk, phi, and mil
    fighting for the last 3 spots. chi and orl will finish 10th and 11th after being the 4/5 matchup for a few months last season.

while chicago will just keep grooming and adding young guys, orlando will look to trade steve.

20. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

What do you mean by playing it "coy"? Twan Walker was the Cancer on the team. He is gone. It is Paul's team now. Sure they are young, but they have more talent than they have had in a long time.

If they acquire a decent Center, they make the playoffs. Without one, they watch them from home.