1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is working at a job you hate really worth your time??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aries323, Oct 24, 2005.

1. aries323

aries323 Member

I cant stand my job. It straight up sucks. not going into details but I`m tired of working at my current company, I`m honestly tired of my co-workers, and I really dont mind my clients but its hard work. I am a consultant... I give advice on financial matters. Is it worth it? Is it worth all the freakin stress? I`m seriously thinking about quitting. advices from you guys would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

You probably just have a case of the Mondays. I feel the same way sometimes too. I hate my job for the most part, but then again most people you talk to in life hate their jobs as well. Work is usually not fun, but it pays the bills.

I have a job simply for the money, I do not "love what I do". If I were to do something I loved doing then I wouldn't be making any money. But if you really hate your job and want to quit I would suggest finding another job first, then quitting. If you are financiallly stable enough to go 6-8 months without work, then you can think about quitting now.

3. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

You're probably going to spend more time working than doing anything else except sleeping or possibly eating. Is the money you're making worth that huge chunk of your life seeming like wasted time? I think that you should simply ask yourself, would I be willing to pay money for the X more happiness that I would get from doing something different? Because in truth, that's what you're doing if you take a more fulfilling but less well paying job. In my opinion, having fun every day is a hell of a lot better than having a nicer house.

4. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

5. aries323

aries323 Member

how about the case of the mondays for the last 2-3 months

6. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

No, I sneak in the side door so Lumberg doesn't see me.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd say 95% of working America hates their jobs... that's life.

8. aries323

aries323 Member

how about having burned bridges with your coworkers, and management, but they cant get rid of you cause youre so damn good at what you do...?

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

its worth it if thats why supports you and your family

its easier to say its not, when you are young, independent with a good college degree

10. aries323

aries323 Member

I`m 26, got some money saved up. no kids. no wife. single. just having fun. but, I do want to keep saving money. I dont want to give up. but my question is, the stress and the physical strain that working 50+ hours and then dealing with your coworkers whether you get along with them or not when tired, is that worth all that?

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

You must have not learned from Japanese. They don't mind working like horses.

12. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I think the best thing is to try to let it go. I know it's difficult to do, but we let ourselves get worked up over such inane crap. I mean, how many people throw a ****-fit when someone pulls in front of them in the off ramp? It's no big deal to be one more car back, but we still get pissed off about it. If you can't think of a job you'd rather be doing, then my advice would be to try to get a more relaxed perspective on what you do.

13. aries323

aries323 Member

thanks for that advice... sounds like a wise advice from a wise Roxs fan, man i feel like $h!t

14. aries323

aries323 Member

not about the advice, about the job... sorry if there was any misunderstanding

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

F%*k it dude, let's go bowling!

1 person likes this.
  16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Then I'd say now is the time to make a change for the sake of your own hapiness.

Once you have dependants, you may have to worry about their security over your own hapiness.

17. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565117328/103-6689616-7428607?v=glance

I don't know about your religious affiliations, but I really have gotten a lot out of Campbell's lectures on Eastern thought. Listening to a different system of thought may help you see how people from other cultures approach day to day problems.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No- get a new job, even if it pays less. I was in a similar situation back in 2000. I made far more money, but I am infinately more happy now. Happyness should be your #1 priority in life.

1 person likes this.
  19. aries323

aries323 Member

you know there are over 30000 people in Japan who commit suicide by jumping in front of rains. now i think i know why. i mean. geez. talk about stress, no free time, no time for yourself. and then you have to worry about the females companions... etc. :mad:

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

If you have bills to pay, then yes it really is worth your time. If you are single, and don't have any financial responsibilities except to yourself, then you should serisouly consider quitting if you are absoluetly sure that si what you want to do