1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vacation days

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

There is a good chance that I will be changing employers soon. With my current employer, I have about a week of vacation time that I have earned.

When I put in my 2 weeks notice, would it be out of line for me to use up my vacation days within those 2 weeks? Is that normal practice or am I expected to sacrifice those days? This is my first time changing jobs since graduating from college and I am not very familiar with the process involved. Furthermore, if you have any suggestions on how best to tell my current employer that I am leaving, then please send those suggestions my way as well. My current employer has been very good to me and I do not want to burn any more bridges than I have to. Thanks in advance.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You don't get paid for any vacation time left over?

If you do, just don't use and and you'll get a nice, fat final paycheck. Use that extra cash on some World Series tickets. ;)

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So, you haven't turned in your notice yet, right? If that is the case, go ahead and take the vacation before turning in your notice. However, you might get your unused vacation paid out. Check with someone at your workplace that you feel you can trust.

Oh and I wouldn't do a vacation during your 2 week notice - I'm pretty sure that is something that is frowned upon.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

It is, at least what I have heard from others at work.. I would go talk to HR and see what they say..

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

We do.

Everyone is entitled to what they have earned.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A way around this where you can "double-dip" sorta is by giving your notice, getting your unused vacation time paid to you in cash, and telling your new company you'd like to start in 3 weeks. I've never had a company that had a problem with that. That should give you 1-2 weeks of time off between jobs and still get paid the vacation from your original job.

7. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

If your current employer has been good to you, it's best to go in and talk to your boss one on one. Be friendly, courteous and professional. Thanks them for giving you the job. Tell them you had enjoyed working there but you want to move on, that you have another path for your career (or whatever reason it is that makes you move on, as long as the reason does not reflect badly on your current employer. Leaving a job for more money is ok, people do that all the time).

Talk to your boss about the vacation you earned too. Each company has its own policy. Some will pay you for it. For others, you can arrange to take the days offs and not affect your work and job schedule. For this reason, you need to let your boss know early so they can find replacement.

People do move from job to job and a professional employer would not hold it against you. Leaving a job does not equate to burning bridges. Burning bridges is talking trash to your boss when you turn in your notice. Don't do that. Even if you don't like the place, it will come back to haunt you. I wouldn't worry about your employer turning against you when they find out that you are leaving. Good employers don't do that.