1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USC vs Notre Dame

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Tyree

Tyree Member

like i really care about if i make a grammatical error on a forum....

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Doesn't really matter, but Rice grads seem pretty into US News rankings, and I don't remember the last time Rice was in the top 15.

3. vj23k

Just weird? Ummm...I guess...

There is no comparison between Michigan and OSU. Michigan is an inexperienced team that was hurt badly by the loss of the likes of Braylon Edwards(Though they still have two receivers who were primed to have awesome seasons), and should be a monster in the next couple of seasons. This year, however, they just aren't that good. They've improved(As most young, extremely talented teams do over the course of the season), but at the time of the ND game, they sucked. OSU is a veteran team with an outstanding defense, especially the linebackers and backfield. They're better than their two loss record indicates. They played the #2 team in the country and then lost to a Penn State team on the road in a game that many said was called very unfairly.

OSU would have destroyed the Michigan team that ND defeated earlier this year, and will probably defeat them at the end of the year also. OSU-ND would be close, but I don't think ND would be able to pass on that defense. Vince Young really couldn't, and I don't think Brady Quinn could either.

You don't sound too sure about the 6 or 7 number, so I'd guess it's probably at least a few more than either of those numbers, but you can disregard the night part then. Winning any game in the shoe is an accomplishment in itself. I had friends go that said that Kyle Field doesn't even compare in intensity.

4. MManal

MManal Member

I like how Rice alums obsess over their undergrad ranking. Rankings are based very much on the difficulty of admission standards, SAT scores required for admission, etc. This is something that UT cannot limit on its undergrads as it is a state school and such. However, why not compare areas where UT can raise admission requirements and such (ie. MBA Program, Business school for both undergrad and grad etc.)

Its great and all to be a top 20 "undergrad" institution, but I would MUCH rather go to UT where there is a top 10 undergrad business school with course work that actually applies to the real world along with a top 25 MBA school. Rice's MBA program is a joke compared to UT's on all levels. In addition, I dont even think Rice has a proper undergrad business school. In addition, UT has the #1 ranked Accounting program nationally (both undergrad and grad level) and students coming out of it can essentially get any job they want in the accounting industry or move into related industries. My UT education enabled me to get a job in the public accounting industry at one of the four largest accounting firms in the world. Our firm is all over UT grads b/c the program is #1 in the nation; the amount of Rice grads at our firm is essentially nonexistent.

I would MUCH rather have a degree from UT Business School which will guarantee meaningful employment and compensation as opposed to having some liberal arts or social sciences degree from Rice or a wannabe MBA which Rice provides. (Btw no offense to anyone on this board who has a Rice MBA, but I think its an absolute joke that folks like texxx and Bullard keep harping on an undergrad ranking which doesnt mean ****.)

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I went to Texas State...and I have 3 employees with Masters degrees from Rice....

They are good workers, very smart.....I can't spell, but I guarantee, all three of them are VERY happy that I can sign their paychecks !!!

It doesn't matter where you go to school.......Rice...pffft...I turned down a scholarship in computer science to Rice to pay my way at SWT....3-1 girls.....now THAT was a good decision.

:)

DD

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

BTW, didn't Lidge lose a bet or something with Ensberg and now he's forced to wear a USC T-shirt during interviews?

7. nuggien

nuggien Contributing Member

Anyone with half a brain would know that a school's true worth is highly correlated with its graduate programs (i.e. contributions to research), not undergrad programs. It's great that Rice is up there in undergrad rankings and all, but having great rankings for your humanities majors is nothing to boast about. Sorry, I come from a great engineering school so I had to put my 2 cents out there :D

8. MManal

MManal Member

This is 100% correct; however, what I am banking on and hoping will happen is that if Texas keeps rolling opponents from week to week, there wont be major swings in the votes. As of now, Texas has a significant advantage over Va Tech in both polls (Harris and Coaches). It seems from week to week gigantic swings typically dont happen to a major conference team unless they almost lose to a crappy opponent (ie. Kansas last year). I am hoping this holds to form this season as well.

From the projections I have seen online, Texas should have a pretty large lead over Va Tech in tomorrow's BCS standings. Va Tech will actually be a whole lot closer to #4 Georgia than #2 Texas tomorrow.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

As usual when he posts (which doesn't seem enough), MManal nails it. Do me a favor, dude, post more as it only enhances the quality of this BBS. :)

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LOL - you're being defensive for a reason...

Stick to your football rankings where you can talk, brah

11. MManal

MManal Member

Not at all, just telling it like it is.

12. vj23k

Well, you can't really judge UT's undergraduate programs based on the graduate programs, but you really don't have to. Most of UT's undergrad programs are top 15-20 (business, engineering, and a few others are top 5). US News is pretty much a joke among academics because it places too much emphasis on alumni donation and stuff like that.

Rice - Awesome school with (apparently) overly arrogant alumni, but just not for me.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He's an alumnus, there's only one of him.

Now lets all stop criticizing each other's grammar and spelling.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Is that way of saying "what you say is true and I have no comment, besides a smart remark"?

All schools are great schools. Success lies with the student.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps you should stay out of football rankings, where you can't talk.