1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USC vs Notre Dame

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Oct 15, 2005.

1. MManal

MManal Member

This whole talk about Virginia Tech jumping Texas in the BCS is very very premature imo. Fact is, as long as Texas keeps winning solidly, they will maintain a strong edge over Virginia Tech in the human polls. I am interested in seeing the effect of yesterday's games, but my guess is that Texas should cut into USC's lead and strengthen its edge over Va Tech in both the Coaches and Harris polls. In addition, since Penn State and Florida State both lost yesterday, there can only be 4 undefeated teams at the end of the season (there are now currently 7) due to the head to head games left between the undefeated teams. In addition, there are solid possibilities that a string of events could occur causing only 3 undefeateds (UT, USC, Va Tech) for instance.

If the latter happens, UT will be a lock for #2 in the BCS. The human polls count for 2/3 of the BCS ranking, and thus two #2 rankings in the human polls will trump a #3 ranking in the computers. Thus, if there are 3 unbeatens, the only way Va Tech jumps UT is if the Coaches and Harris polls move UT to third which imo is highly unlikely if UT wins out.

If the former happens and there are 4 unbeatens (ie. UT, USC, Va Tech, Georgia), things could get a little dicier. If UT is #2 in both human polls and #4 in the computers, it will be a whole lot closer. My guess though is that UT would still be able to hang but things could get very close at season's end.

Bottom line, though, UT is not going to lose a game this season. This team is the ONLY team in college football that is ranked top 10 in both offense AND defense. The Longhorn defense is ranked 3rd in yardage allowed and their offense is ranked 8th in yardage. Compare this to USC who is 1st in offensive yardage but a pathetic 45th in defensive yardage. Va Tech is 2nd in defensive yardage but does not even crack the top 50 in offense. The Longhorn team is beating opponents in a wide array of ways and is imo the best team in college football this season.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm biased...but i agree. very balanced.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Texas took three first placed votes from USC in the new coach's poll.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A UT win over a top10 ranked TT would really solidify our #2 spot. I think if the rankings started clean slated, UT would be ranked ahead of USC. But it's not like really matters now.

5. Major

Major Member

The problem is this was changed last year. Now, it's no longer the actual ranking that matters, but the number of votes. So even if VaTech stays #3, if they gain votes relative to us, they make up ground (this is how Texas jumped Cal last year). Current BCS projections show UT and VaTech as virtually tied. Going forward, VaTech's schedule is much tougher with BC, FSU (or someone else in the ACC Championship), and Miami while we really only have Tech plus a possible decent team in the B12 Championship.

It's very much up in the air at this point - depends on a lot of things like what happens with Ohio State, how impressive UT and VaTech look week to week, etc. If we control most of the #2 votes in the poll, then there's little room to improve there, while VaTech can. We can improve more in the computers through as undefeateds lose. It's by no means certain at this point that Texas holding onto #2 in the polls guarantees they hold on to #2 overall.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Funny, I didn't hear the horn fans saying these types of things after last year's game at Kansas (pass interference...pffft...) ...and let me tell you something, South Bend >>>>>>Lawrence

double standard? Clearly.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Are you seriously comparing those two plays...? This was a fumble somewhere within one or two yards of the goal line with less than 7 second left in the game. You're talking about a pass interference call that may or may not have been correct that pretty much noone besides you and Kansas's coach even brought up after the game. There was a hell of a lot of football after that pass interference call...4th and 18, etc... There were at least two minutes left after that call.

Columbus >>> anywhere USC has won this year

Inferiority complex? Clearly.

8. bigtexxx

LOL - Notre Dame is ranked higher than Ohio State

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

When teams have 2 losses, rankings are completely arbitrary. It's as though voters completely forgot Notre Dame's 1st lost or is pretending the loss to USC was just a tie.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Fire the homophobe.

Congrats on the longest losing streak in the nation. Maybe you guys can compete with Prarie View.

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

They weren't when we played them, jackass. And anyway I thought we were talking about locations. First night loss at the Shoe...ever.

ND's ranking is totally unjustified, anyway. Their most impressive win came against Michigan, a team that obviously isn't the team it was last season. They get credit for beating a ranked Purdue, a team that has gone on to lose to Northwestern. OSU also just beat Michigan St, ND's other defeat.

Inferiority complex? Clearly.

12. bigtexxx

I'm not sure what Rice football has to do with this thread, but since you brought it up, I'll talk about it. Believe me, I completely agree with you. With our academic standards, we simply can't compete with generic state university's teams. I agree that Hatfield needs to go. Losing 11 games in a row is not acceptable in my book. I'm still undecided about whether or not we should keep a football program or not, but I lean towards keeping it. A new coach would be a great start.

13. Tyree

Tyree Member

Your a moron, Rice is a bunch of geeks who think they are smart, id rather go to A&M over rice and i hate A&M

14. Major

Major Member

Ok, this is just weird. First, you talk about rankings when we played them (in the case of OSU). Then, when discussing ND's win over Michigan, you say that the important thing is their ranking now. Michigan, by the way, just beat Penn State, which beat Ohio State just last week. All of these teams are pretty similar in strength. If OSU and Notre Dame were to play on a neutral field, I'd venture to guess Notre Dame would win, but it would be a pretty evenly matched game.

As for the "first night loss at the Shoe".. there have only been like 6 or 7 night games there in their history.

15. bigtexxx

LOL - it's "you're"....

...You may want to learn basic grammar before calling others morons...bwaaaaahahahahahaa

16. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Maybe if you'd gone to Rice you'd know that 'your' is the possessive of you and 'you're' is the conjunction of you and are. There's a reason Rice University is consistently in the top 15 in national undergraduate rankings, it's an amazing academic institution with an amazing student body. I'm sorry if being literate, flossing, and having a higher earning after undergraduate studies are "geeky," but hey, we can't change who we are.

P.S. - I don't think it matters that you'd rather go to A&M, because I'm sure you couldn't get into Rice.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Had tOSU's offense not of been screwy (damn Zwick), we would have won that game by 3 touchdowns.

18. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Nice call texxx, didn't know you were a Ricer. Are you still attending or an alumni?

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I didn't realize "earning" was a noun. A Rice education really paid off for you. Idiot.

20. bigtexxx

I'm an alum. Baker College