1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game Three]

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 14, 2005.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Burke was definitely out. I am glad that the very next Astros batter got out and ended the inning. There was no Astros benefit from getting that call, and the integrity of the Astros victory is intact.

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I thought Morris was getting a much bigger strike zone tonight than Clemens. And when is someone gonna peg Pujols for that stupid freakin smirk he bats with? Nolan woulda pegged his ass for his homerun trot the other night and then invited him to the mound if he wanted to talk about it. Why doesn't Clemens peg people anymore? Seems like he stopped doing it when he got to Houston.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had the exact same thought. Actually I thought Qualls and Lidge also threw a number of pitches in the zone and didn't get the calls. I only saw one time that the cards threw a strike and had it called a ball, but I will admit that my bias might have played a role, so I am glad to hear someone else had the same thoughts.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Me too Franchise. I don't want controversy in any of our wins.

Wonder if LaRussa's pregame comments about worrying whether the ump would give Clemens a generous strike zone played into him getting a different zone than Morris received.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Probably has to do with the fact he's taking at bats now.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Clemens doesn't bean people like Ryan beaned people - he pitches inside a lot and if people get hit - they get hit. He doesn't try to enforce a code of conduct like Ryan did.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Watching Clemens in Boston and Toronto I don't think that's true. The first time he faced Mo Vaughn, one of his best friends on the Red Sox, after going to Toronto he plunked him just to send a message. I think it either has something to do with the Piazza beaning or the Astros nice guys image. I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with him having to bat. It really seems like he stopped throwing high and inside after the whole Piazza thing. Still, I would have loved to see Pujols with his smirk and easy HR trot get what was coming his way with Ryan.

A ball here or there I'm usually pretty good about blowing off as other than 'getting a different zone' than the opposition. I thought it was pretty consistent tonight.

#208 HayesStreet, Oct 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  9. Greg M

Greg M Member

OMG. Pujols is a freak. Did you see that weakly hit 400 foot fly ball to left center? They list him at 6'3" 225. Wow.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I say given the chance, we bring in Astacio for one pitch - to plunk the crap out of Pujols.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Seriously, look at that picture up above. His elbow/arm is as big as Burke's head.

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

GAME OVER, We Win!

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I missed innings 5-7. They had begun talking about something being wrong with Clemens-- suggesting hamstring problems. By the time I got back for the eighth, Clemens was out and no more mention of it. Any announcement or discussion that is pertinent?

14. PhiSlammaJamma

God wanted Qualls on the mound. It happens.

15. ruddy

ruddy Member

Whats the matter with the game 4 thread? i dont see it :confused: Go Astros.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Castor prefers to start the game threads himself, and hasn't gotten around to it yet. If he doesn't have one up in a few hours, I'm sure someone will start one.

17. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Roger said his hammy was not a factor, but he did stretch it once or twice after throwing a pitch. Roger was cruising until Pujols hit a 400' shot that Burke caught near the porch out in left-center. After that Rocket struggled, so I don't know if he was rattled or it was a coincidence or he ran out if gas. He seemed to lose a little command after that, but he was still throwing hard. He battled through the trouble and kept Houston in the game. The Cards did tie it up a 2-2, but the Stros scored a run then added another so Roger did get the win.

18. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Oh yes, and Qualls was wicked yesterday in the 7th, so Garn let him pitch the 8th as well. His slider was unhittable. It was great to see.

19. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I think he means THE (World) Series. However Chicago, if they are able to close out the Angels and it looks like they will, will be tough. They have starting pitching as good as Houston, so it would be a great series. But we have to take care of bidness with St. Louis first.