1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the Matt Bullard/Bill Worrell combo is boring

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kountzer, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

Well, if he was brought back, and you complained, it would go forever unheard..

Read the poll! You're in the intsy wintsy weeeeee minority!

Murphy's law bi-ATCH!! :D :p :eek:

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

It's amazing how we are abel to see things from a different point of view.

As a " Color Comentator " Calvin brought insight and laughter to each Rockets game. With Calvin what you see is what you got and what he had was a lot of silly antics that actually helped you enjoy the game even more! He has been a Rockets institution since before time and as the poll indicates overwhelmingly liked by this forum. What's happening is that we are trying to gauge both Matt and Clyde to Calvin and neither is scoring very well. I like both Matt and Clyde butt let's face it there not Calvin!

"Bring back Calvin" :D

3. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

If anybody thinks Van Chancellor is better than Matt Bullard for color, they are smoking some premium 5th ward crack.

Calvin and Bill were one of the best duos in basketball, period. Bullard is a pretty good color man, and Van is okay while Drexler is unbearable.

Please stop all further discussion now as the Rocket Scientist has analyzed this situation and given the definitive response.

#63 RocketScientist, Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  4. BIGBALLA23

BIGBALLA23 Contributing Member

can't agree more when calvin was there with bill they would make you laugh every once in a while...that will always be missed..calvin was the main guy making most of the comments and bill would just add to it..it's all good though the season is gonna b a blast no matter what ..cant wait..

5. rocket3forlife2

calvin>>>>>van>>>>>>bullard>>clyde

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Ithought Clyde wasn't as bad as advertized. I expected a train wreck as well but I was impressed with his improvement from last season. He still giggled a little too much for me and did not give much insight or flow. But since this is the first preseason outting for them all I'll say lets give the "substitutes" some more time to settle down.

I still miss Murph. I am not sure I can get used to Matt. I will 'kill' for coach van now. Sports is tense filled - you need good playbyplay and color folks to help the transition and the ups & downs of the game. That is why Dierker and JD are great partners with Bill Brown. They make the games that more enjoyable and appealing.

If all else fails, there is alway Gene on the radio dial.

7. leehoang

leehoang Member

Yeah... I think they're boring too.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd like to add that I watch most NBA games by myself, and with Bill and Calvin, I always felt like I was watching the game with friends. I never felt alone. I can't say that for any combo we've seen since Calvin left. Now, I feel like I'm watching the games by myself.

I need more friends that are into basketball.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I would pick Van as my first choice, Mike Newlin would be my second choice and Mr. 14x9 would be my third choice.

I wonder where McCoy McLemore is?

How about the Big E?

10. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I also didn't think Clyde was THAT bad.. to me he is better than Bullard. Bullards jokes sound like Seinfeld in 5th grade... and his excitement seems so scripted and unnatural. .. WoW! What a play! ugh... when calvin would get excited you can tell he is truely excited deep down, and Van also would have the same effect. Clyde was somewhat boring and uninsightful but atleast he sounded smooth and relaxed rather than some monotone scripted cue-card unfunny jackass. LOL :D Calvin >>>>>>>>>Van>>>>>>>>Clyde>>Bullard.

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i believe that was his same policy in the 1998 playoffs.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

LMAO! but he is a little dry. but even so, just b/c it's bull i can handle him.

i haven't even heard a game with clyde yet and i'm already cringing. there's just no way he's good at announcing. just like coaching. just like holding the ball until no time is left and then shooting instead of giving certain teams a chance to hit a last second shot to go to the finals.

13. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

eh they are okay.. i like them better than van... i wish there was a way to get hakeem or mario elie

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never got the Bullard love-fest. He was a marginal talent, completely one-dimensional, and he really doesn't have much insight. He's exceptionally boring. I was more of a Chucky Brown guy, for comparable players. Chucky was just a better overall contributor. Chucky also gives a better interview.

In the color commentary job, we don't need someone who is all platitudes and cliches. We need - color. Someone who can bring insight, life, excitement, and dimension to the story of the game, as it unfolds. Without the dimension of story, most of the games are meaningless.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

IM hearing the combo for the first time. Bullard just seems to have a monotone type of voice that kind of gets boring and his jokes aren't all that good so it doesn't add much to the broadcast really.

I think Worrell by himself would do a better job. I just don't get any enthusiasm or anything out of Bullard. I don't know if he just hasn't got comfortable with it yet where he can be off the wall or something but definently needs to do something.

16. Man

Man Contributing Member

Let's email Bullard

17. kountzer

kountzer Member

I agree. I didn't think Clyde was that bad either. He brings credibility. He was voted one of the 50 greatest of all time in 2000. That speaks for something. All Bull can talk about is 2 a day practices. It's not a race issue, per se. If a person can be a good color person, then do it. Bullard hasn't impressed me at all. Clyde, IMO, is better than Bullard. Neither one of them can compare with Calvin.

~ Kountzer ~

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Being voted one of the top 50 greatest ballers of all time is not the criteria for being a good color analyst.

19. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

You are in a tiny minority. It's been shown again and again nearly everyone wants CM back.

The marketing guys for the Rockets are morons. They think they'll get the hardcore fans no matter how bad it is - which may be true. But what about games vs. bad teams or fans who usually don't watch - those are the viewers they lose and the ratings that are low. They're probably thinking we have Tmac and Yao - how can we miss? Well they are fools if they are content and think they can't do better. They should start with making hardcore and fence sitter fans HAPPY. Bring CM back and stop this debate.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

To be fair, clyde and bull werent the first choice for the new color guy. I think they went after jay billas (who does college basketball for ESPN) as their first choice. More and more teams are trying to target big name broadcasters for their job and the rockets couldnt pull it off. And unfortunately, they didnt go back and get murphy and instead got us clyde and bull as a backup.

But I'll give them credit for trying...