1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yom Kippur

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tyree, Oct 12, 2005.

1. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

I'm no expert, but I think the area near Braeswood and Fondren has a huge Jewish Center. It is near Bellaire.

2. Isabel

Isabel Member

Meyerland is a Jewish neighborhood; I think that's what rubytuesday is referring to. Lots of beautiful synagogues, etc. I still don't think it's the majority of the population, though.

3. Tyree

Tyree Member

Can try and answer that, most of the jews I know including myself, live around the bellaire/meyerland area. There isnt really a section for jews to live in, but considering houston's size there is a strong jewish community out there. Seems to me that it is very spread out and people will drive however far to go to the temple they want to, someone else can prob answer question better

4. Tyree

Tyree Member

Ya the Jewish community center is off of South Braeswood before fondren..there is another one way out off of I-10 but not very popular

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

The largest Jewish community in Houston is in the Westbury/Meyerland area (in which I live). I have MANY Jewish neighbors and I see them every week walking back and forth to their temples; wonderful people and wonderful neighbors, it's one reason why I like this part of town so much, it's so diverse.

6. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Damn this steak is good! I am so stuffed I can barely eat the lobster. Yummy! :D

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I thought the Jewish section of town was in Downtown. You know where all the banks are. ;)

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Awesome, good luck fasting. :D

that makes 2 major religions not eating today, wonder what happens to the fast food industry :p

edit: i missed this thread by a few days

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

May be the fast food industry doesn't carry Kosher or Halal meat anyways, so may be there was no effect (I sure don't care, I eat there anyways)

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

There is a Jewish community center on Dairy Ashford, next to Tully [spelling?] Stadium, across from the Jack-In-The-Box. CMIIAW

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

further north down dairy ashford than Jack in the Box. i can see it from my office building. it's really across from the chinese buffet that used to be Ryan's Steakhouse.

and you spelled tully right :)