1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Yao actually jump this high?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by michellexiao, Oct 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. hz10

hz10 Contributing Member

What about Dampier's legs? Different color! Maybe some kind of protection gears.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I agree with Thadeus. Yao's not jumping, Dampier is holding him up there.

3. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

What's a photochop?

4. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

WOW. This is nasty.. Yao should average at least 3 blocks per game, and at least 10 offensive rebounds per game with 50 percent of it converted to field goal...

That's all I ask from a 7.6 tower player.

5. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Yao is 7'-6".
    The basket is 10'-0".
    If he jumps 1 ft, the top of his head is at 8'-6"
    If he jumps 2 ft, the top of his head is at 9'-6" (even if he doesn't duck)
    Still below the rim.

I believe his reach standing flat footed is 9'-8" or 9'-10".
    The ball is 9" in diameter.
    He needs to jump at least 11" for the bottom of the ball to be above the rim.

6. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

This is what stops Yao from being a dominant shot blocker.
    In that picture, since the ball is 9" in diameter. It looks like Yao jumps maybe 1'-9", more or less. That is decent but not close to being exceptional. It's still enough to block shots except that he is too slow to get up there.

7. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Being quick off the ground is not a prereq. to be a great shot blocker. Deke has forever been one who is slow to gather himself before he goes up. It was the combination of his reach and timing that made him so dominant. Yao has the length, if he can continue to hone his timing, he will become a great shotblocker. As he is right now, hes good.

8. czh

czh Member

Yao has 2 blocks every 30 minutes, he is a GOOD shot blocker.

9. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I've watched video of Yao dunking, and he doesn't need that much air to dunk. The pic is misleading for some reason. Yao's arm is nearly straight. If that were the case, I think his feet would be a bit closer to the ground.
    If his shoes are over a foot long, it would appear that he is about 2 feet off the ground, at least....I don't think so.

10. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Yao claimed in his biography that before he broke his foot (twice) he once was able to see the rim from above in a dunk. Too bad, he lost much of his lift after that. Plus, he true is a slow leaper, that is the main reason he loses most of the jump balls.

Anyways the consolation is that it means less chance for injury for Yao because he can jump too high.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you look closely at the photo, he's actually standing in front of the courtside seats...and he's 80 feet tall.

12. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Yeah, but back then he was probably about 7'4 and 220 lbs. :D

I bet I could dunk if I weighed 80 pounds less.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    If Yao was 80 pounds less, he'd be... OMG, he WAS Manute BOL! :eek: he WAAAASSSSS!!!!! :D