1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to San Francisco...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HectikG81, Oct 10, 2005.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Nice handle! How many rooms do you have for rent? ;)

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

be sure to wear those flowers in your hair.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

hey, since no one's told you, be sure to wear those flowers in your hair.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I got one better....

Don't buy your drugs in Haight Asbury. Do your drugs in Haight Asbury.

:D

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

my favorite city in America. Other than that, don't know much about it.

6. leehoang

leehoang Member

Beautiful weather in San Fran...

7. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

San Francisco - the city where its always cold and foggy.

8. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

Thanks all... keep them coming.

9. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

One more thing - do they have such a thing like HAR.COM but for the San Fran Area... I love Craigslist - but wanted to see if there were any other websites I can take a look at.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Watch your cornhole.

<insert picture of Lawrence from Office Space>

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If you're looking at areas in the suburbs, then you might want to consider places like Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and Redwood City. Palo Alto is gorgeous if you have the money. In general, I would recommending staying in Silicon Valley as opposed to the areas off 880 like Fremont, Union City, etc.

Remember, rents are still high for 2 bd/2 bath apts in Silicon Valley. It will cost you in the $1400-$2000 range depending on the age, condition, and location. I will advise you against moving down to San Jose. That place is miserable.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, I geeked out a bit playing with Photoshop:

[​IMG]
    1990 Crime Statistics
    [​IMG]

Working in the city would render a couple of those counties too difficult to commute from, like Napa, Monterey, etc.

Marin county would be where I'd choose in perfect, but I understand the commute is evil, and the prices have become silly. It used to be old hippies (the Merry Prankster Cafe still exists!), but the young rich have moved in.

On a more reasonable budget, I would look at San Mateo County. In general the county is hit-or-miss. You need to look south enough to avoid SF slums, (i.e. South San Francisco) but north enough to avoid computer-geek land. (Oracle & Larry Ellison's mega $$$ home are south of Redwood City, and further south it gets crazier with Stanford, Apple, and all the other places.

East of the bay is all dry mountains and then desert and farm land from what I saw.

A couple of things I never expected when I went to SF:

• There are more (both in quantity and agressiveness) strip clubs than Houston. That's saying something. Somewere near Chinatown there's a 4-story tall electric sign with a stripper showing her garter.
    • There are many many @ssholes, and they almost all drive motorcycles. Fast. Especially in the mountians. Driving on Highway 35 well over the speedlimit, I was agressively passed by some guy like I was standing still. He fliped me off and written on the back of his helmet was "F**k you!" in large black letters. That was the extreme, but everybody I saw on a motorcycle was not exactly friendly.
    • In San Mateo county you can go from crappy landfill developments like Foster City, to generally plesant small towns, to isolated mountain villiges, over the mountains, and to a beach of surfers at Half Moon Bay in 1/2 hour. That's the primary appeal of the place to me, but the surliness people counterbalance the environment.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

seems like the right place to ask, looks like we will have a couple of days in San Fran next feb, can you guys let me know a short list of things to do, see, eat etc??

14. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Hey Smeg,

This is how I take guests around visiting for the first time ..

Start Downtown (Union Square area) walk to (Chinatown). Then catch the cable car (site in itself) to Fishermans Wharf (Pier 39) where you can have some awesome seafood (crab) or little clam chowder joints. Theres also a hooters down there if you've never been to one this might be your chance. Afterwards I think Godiva has an huge ice cream parlor at the end of the wharf (close to where you need to get back on the cable car to head home)
    People talk about Lombard Street (huge curvy street dont know if its still open) and then theres the Golden Gate Bridge where you can find places to park and walk on the bridge itself.. *awesome views
    Castro Street is a tourist attraction mostly gay neighborhood / gay owned stores. Excellent food there too.. they have the best parades.
    Japantown is interesting not awesome but has some sites to see. If you can make a trip down to Santana Row in San Jose would be worthwhile Maggiano's is one of my favorite Italian Rest.

If you want to eat something different..

Burma Superstar (4th / Clement) awesome Burmese food (go for lunch as dinners can be over an hour wait) reasonably priced but delicious.
    San Francisco has some excellent Afghan food .. check out zagat survey for recommendations.
    House of Prime Rib (also a long wait but well worth it)
    Brothers Korean Rest. on Geary (near 11th)
    Kitaros Japanese Food (great rolls) on Geary / 24th

hope this helps.

J