1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

recent Rafer Alston interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by localalien, Oct 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. localalien

localalien Contributing Member

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Nice find. Haven't seen this yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rafer Alston: "I'm not a bad crazy guy"
    by Keith Calkins / October 5, 2005

What was your reaction when you first heard the news of the trade?

Rafer Alston: I was shocked. I was getting ready early for practice and was pulled off the court and told I was traded. You sign a long deal there and you’re thinking even with the distractions, you put it behind you and work together.

You and Jeff Van Gundy have only had a brief time to talk. Can you take us inside that introductory sit-down?

RA: He just told me we’re wiping a clean slate. Just go out and perform and put things behind you. And I explained to him I’m not this bad crazy guy. If I was that bad a person, trust me, I would not have one year in this league. And I think everyone knows that. My play and my personality prior to last year was built around being a hard-working guy. A guy who loves to laugh, smile and play the game. If I didn’t react the way I reacted (walking out of a December practice that prompted a two-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the club), I don’t think we would be hearing about any of those questions.

You played for Stan Van Gundy in Miami. Will that familiarity with scheme and system help you adjust to Jeff Van Gundy’s way of doing things?

RA: Defensively, yes. Coach (Jeff) stressed we’ll be getting after it. Rebounding. Just like in Miami. The voices sound the same. They sound like twin brothers (laughs). I’m not coming here totally blind-sided. I know both Stan and Jeff have been under Pat (Riley) and what they’re trying to accomplish. Stan was great for me and my turnaround in this league. I love him. I’m really grateful for bringing me in there to help turn things around.

This is a tremendous opportunity for you. You’re no longer fighting for a roster spot or minutes or a contract. You’re surrounded by All-Star talent in McGrady and Yao Ming and on a team with legitimate deep playoff aspirations. What does that mean to you?

RA: It’s a chance of a lifetime. You don’t get many chances at a crack at the title or close to contending and I’m happy to be a part of this. I read Dan Marino’s book. He got to the Super Bowl his rookie year and thought he would get back every year and it never happened. I look at that and take that to heart. You never know when you’ll be with a team as talented and loaded as this.

What you see as your role with the Rockets?

RA: I bring energy. An up-tempo style of game. I can defend the ball. I’m coming here to do anything I’m not supposed to do. My role is to be just one of 11. I already have a feel for how these guys like to play. We have a lot of catch-and-shoot guys. Derek Anderson. David Wesley. Jon Barry. I know they like to come down and shoot the ball. McGrady can put it in from the parking lot. We can get Stromile Swift up and down the floor. Get him some easy buckets. I’m looking at getting out of the gates, but if we don’t have it I know how to pull it out and get us a great shot.

Your first breakthrough as a player was on the And1 streetball tour. Do you like the fact that people still refer to your streetball reputation?

RA: Streetball is going to be something that sticks with me my entire life. I walk down the street in New York City and people will still call me “Skip.” They don’t even know my real name. Some think it’s my third year in the NBA and not my seventh. It’s a brand of basketball that fans throughout those cites – Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, of course New York – they’re familiar with that. They’re streetball guys. Last couple of years I’ve tried to make strides and make my mark and try to find my niche in this league. I just hope people recognize that.

For some fans and those in the game it’s tough to get past the label. What’s more to your game than the And1 style?

RA: Every year I’ve added something to my game. I’ve toned it down. I’m able to run a team and control the offense. I’m able to defend guards and pick up even though I don’t have that big muscular frame. I’ve added the long ball to my game. Shoot the three. If I get it going, I can stroke four or five. I take pieces from other people’s game. I’ve added the floater in the lane. I try to improve each summer.

You’ve had to fight your way into the NBA from the bush leagues when many didn’t believe you had the discipline in your game to earn a permanent spot. How does that experience still impact your game?

RA: It makes me humble. It makes me continue to work. I love playing throughout the summer. The road was brought on me by myself. I don’t encourage young kids to take the road I did, by no means. The mistakes I made coming out of high school not completing my core courses and forced to go to junior college (before landing at Fresno State). I’ve had to play catchup ever since but I can live with that and learn from it.

Keith Calkins is a regular contributor to HoopsHype.com

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

What you see as your role with the Rockets?

RA: I bring energy. An up-tempo style of game. I can defend the ball. I’m coming here to do anything I’m not supposed to do. My role is to be just one of 11. I already have a feel for how these guys like to play. We have a lot of catch-and-shoot guys. Derek Anderson. David Wesley. Jon Barry. I know they like to come down and shoot the ball. McGrady can put it in from the parking lot. We can get Stromile Swift up and down the floor. Get him some easy buckets. I’m looking at getting out of the gates, but if we don’t have it I know how to pull it out and get us a great shot.

{Strange - no mention of Yao...}

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Oh lord, here we go.

Skip and Sura are going to be mean to Yao.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

I’m looking at getting out of the gates, but if we don’t have it I know how to pull it out and get us a great shot.

Doesnt JVG have say in this? We are a half-court team for most of the time.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Skip's only been a Rocket for one day and he's already ignoring Yao. :p

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Is that based on your idea of JVG's reputation or games last year?

8. AlexVanderpool

Keith Calkins writes for hoopshype.com???

9. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

Good interview.

10. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Yeah. And he's ignoring Howard and Mutumbo too. Come on now Artv. The guy was talking about catch and shoot guys, and players he can envision running the break with. Lets save the 'skip doesn't like Yao paranoia' for later on when he doesn't smile back at Yao or give him a hug after a basket.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Of course he'll ignore Yao. How many chinese streetballers are there?

If Yao wants his respect he'll have to stick him in a knife fight.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

groan, dont tell me CD traded for a guy who never got past first grade math. There's 12 guys Skip, 12. :D

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Howard and Mutumbo aren't a main piece of the offense. While I like the trade, I've seen too many people who can't get it in to a 7'5" guy for the gimme.

But I like CriscoKidd's answer the best... :p

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hilarious thread. But also shows what a good interview Skip is...

15. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I don't care if this wasn't or was sarcastic, reading through various threads I think many here are almost in midseason form even before the first pre-season game. Good times. :D

Seriously, that was a good interview. The questions were short but Alston seemed to answer them completely.

Regarding the "lack of a Yao comment" if you go back and read it he's talking about distributing the ball to everyone, and he only brings up T-Mac because you can just hand him the ball in the parking lot.

So arguably he has no further clue to where T-Mac wants a pass than where Yao does. He's dead right about Wesley, DA and Barry though and his penetration/kick-out may be the best we have seen here since Lucas. That's his point.

Besides, if all goes well he'll be sucking up to T-Mac and Yao for awhile. I think it was pretty savvy to discuss the other guys period.

16. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

good article. trust me, yao will definitely become his best friend. you talk about easy assists, he'll get 7+ a game if he realizes just get the ball to him deep in the post.

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Guy actually comes across as pretty bright. Like his comment about Dan Marino and wanting to win and he how he has bought into the team concept. He talked more about running a team than getting his shot and he considers himself a good defender, good interview, I hope he is all he says he is.

18. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

Where's the part where he is suppoesed to bring athletic cism?

#18 TigerBait, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  19. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

he sounds very confident. gotta love that.

20. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i cant help but think its going to be "Showtime" in Houston this season. joy