1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MJ for Rafer: Do you like the trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Qball, Oct 4, 2005.

Tags:
?

Do you like the trade?

1. Yes

827 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. No

90 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Not Sure

279 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Toast

Toast Member

We got the better player in the deal.

We gave up a guy who would start the season but be relegated to the bench as soon as possible. So we picked up a guy who's expected to play longer minutes.

We still have offensive punch on the bench in the forms of Derek Anderson & Juwan Howard.

We picked up a guy who's contract is about the same length as Yao's & TMac's (at a reasonable price). So he'll grow with our core for a long time.

I REALLY like the way this team is shaping up!

2. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

How ironic is it that the guy whose career started as a streetballer on an And1 Mix Tape is considered the true PG?

I actually didn't dislike MJ nearly as much as others on the board, but this could turn out to be a pretty good deal. The thing I really liked about MJ -- instant offense off the bench -- isn't as big of a concern as before now that we have DA and Juwan coming off the bench to score some points.

3. Billyp

Billyp Contributing Member

As much as I love Mike James and his instant offense, I have to vote yes. I've followed Alston since the And 1 days to his stint on the Bucks and the Heat. Toronto was a bad situation for him, hopefully we can see him resurrect his image, a la T-Mac.

4. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

this should help us turn into a more fast break team. imagine alston pushing the ball with stromile on his left and tmac on his right. now imagine if james was pushing the ball, it wouldnt matter who he had on either side. good trade

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wonder how Rafer is going to handle playing with the Rockets. He said he would retire while he was with the Raptors. He did well with Stan Van Gundy but how is he going to deal with Jeff Van Gundy is the big question.

6. wardellp

wardellp Contributing Member

:D ;)

7. f33lsogood

f33lsogood Member

:eek: Why would you trade Micheal Jordan for Skip 2 My Lou??? are you crazy? :D

8. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Hey don't forget about Deke! :D Say what you want be he's an impact off the bench.

9. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

hell yeah i liked this trade. i was the only dude in hear who thought this trade was gonna be possible. **props to me**

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It is a slight upgrade only in the sense that Skip is a legit pass first point guard. But I have to wonder whether or not he will be starting come the end of the season? Considering Sura's condition I like the trade, but outside of shoooting guard this is our team for a long time now we have very little flexability now but hey if it works, it works.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Any time you acquire a role player, the most important thing to look at is how does he affect or complement your star player? Adding a true playmaker relieves McGrady of ball handling duties and let's him focus on scoring. Alston is also a good stand still 3 point shooter - something crucial to any star oriented offense.

McGrady is at his best when he can play uptempo and jack up 3's on the fastbreak at will. Adding Stromile Swift and Rafer Alston only further adds to this switch from a halfcourt team to a dynamic running team.

Great trade.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Rockets have not had a true point guard in many years. I don't know much about Alston, but, supposedly, he is a true PG. For once, I would like to see someone hit an open Ming with a timely pass. Break it down, Swift is supposed to be the most athletic PF in the league, Ming is one of the best centers, neither have reached their potential. TMac is one of the league's best players, a true superstar. Anderson is a solid SG and Alston is supposedly a solid PG. Looks life a formitable starting lineup to me. And the Rockets will have one of the league's best benches. The Spurs need to look in their rear view mirror and know that Objects May be Closer Than They Appear!

13. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

This is a good of time as any to do my first post.

I voted not sure because I haven't seen him play that much. I'm worried about his attitude when things don't go as planned. I wonder if he has the ability to create his own shot? That facet of Mike James' game will be missed if Alston doesn't have it.

14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Yes, I know attitude is a question mark, but we traded a great backup for a good starter. We finally have our first legit starting POINT GUARD since the mid-late 90's. Francis was/is more of an undersized 2 IMO... Plus, Alston will now be able to grow with our core for years to come, James was going to opt out after this season. Wait til you see our fast breaks this year now!

Splash!

15. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Fine, you all have convinced me that we got the better end of the trade!! :D

But that contract still doesn't sit right with me. I guess we'll be relieved of a few bogus contracts next year so it will even out.

16. omax

omax Member

He's a true point guard.

I vote YES!!!!

Let's hope the contract doesn't become an issue, but a good risk worth taking!!

:)

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I really liked MJames game but the more I think about it the more I like the trade.

Tmac, Barry, Juwan, Swift and Yao will really benefit from getting the ball where they like it. If you hit a shooter like Tmac or Barry on their spot their shooting % goes up a couple points.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Strange
    Less than two years ago Rafer was the AND1 anti-christ of 'true basketball'

now everyone here is begging him for a RIDE RIDE

Rocket River
    I dunno about the trade. . . but we will see .. . I don't hate it

19. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

HELL YES!!

I WAS HOPING WE WOULD GET HIM LAST SEASON!!!

SEE YA LATER MIKE JAMES!!!

20. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

I am extremely happy with this trade. James is an overrated Francis clone. His offensive game is to ignore everybody and dribble around until he gets his shot. Offensive punch at the costs of the team's chemistry? Ain't worth it. I still remember when Mcgrady waved James off during the playoff. Remember that glare he gave James? Even my wife saw that. She hated him every since.

Don't know much about Alston, but glad James is gone. Good Riddance.