1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RITA] Storm in the Atlantic to Watch for Texans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xenon, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Fatty FatBastard

I also have a DC to 110 volt adapter. It works ok on regular plug ins, ie. laptop, radio, portable TV, but the thing is gawd-awful with charging things. So don't expect it to charge your laptop or your cell phone.

2. droxford

droxford Member

If I really need to, I can start up one of the two cars that we have (after the storm), and take a relaxation break: Get some AC, listed to radio, and charge stuff up. Both cars are full of gas.

Hey FB - what's your status?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

4. droxford

droxford Member

I'm dense. So dense, light bends around me.

5. Fatty FatBastard

well, I'm assuming you meant me and not Franchise Blade...

My status is what it always has been. I'm sticking it out, either at my place or I might go to a friend's place in Midtown to watch the theatrics, if there are any.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The models that ran early this morning just came in and are virtually all in agreement of a landfall near Sabine Pass. Only one shows landfall around the Bolivar Peninsula.

According to Jeff Masters on Wunderground.com, the model guidance is nearly a consensus now. It appears we've seen something now similar to how the Katrina guidance lined up 24 hours before it made landfall.

Also, Katrina has just a few more hours over the warm eddy it is in currently. After that, semi-warm waters but shallow and some cooler water before landfall. Finally, there is currently 10knots of shear and you can really see it eating away at the southwest portion of the storm. That is forecast to increase to 25knots late tonight.

Intensity forecasts are very iffy, but the last run of the two primary models showed 125mph winds at landfall - a sturdy category 3 storm.

Keep your fingers crossed.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Uh-oh...they just reported on Ch 2 that a levee broke in New Orleans.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

According to CNN water is overflowing a levee, but I didn't read about a break in it.

9. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Yep. They said the breach was 35-50 feet wide. :eek:

10. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

:( Not so lovely Rita. I’m sure by now you’ve battened down the hatches and cinched up the chin straps. Our thoughts and prayers here in Canada are with you. We are following this thing on CNN and we’re worried for you. Given the way your city handled the aftermath of the Katrina hurricane I’m sure they’ll be on top of things as soon as this one passes, but let’s hope that they don’t have much to do.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow. :(

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A stiff cat 3 near the Texas/Louisiana border is what you guessed about 4 days ago, right?

13. droxford

droxford Member

When it rains, it pours.

14. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

Why don't we just finish that city for good and call it Atlantis #2

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Another update . Down to 135 mph. Looks like it will land early Saturday.

[​IMG]

16. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

If that storm dos not start going more NW it will hit galveston dead on.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm glad someone else noticed that. :)

I wish I would've put money on it.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Keep in mind that the high pressure area that was over Arkansas has now moved east and weakened. That will allow Rita to continue to wobble to the north of northwest.

Obviously, it doesn't take much to send it either direction, but with model guidance in this good agreement with the NHC, that makes the forecast a LITTLE more accurate. Plus, being less than 24 hours from landfall, it's a lot easier to predict.

19. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

Sames % rates for landfall over Port Arthur or Galveston... The only reason why the NHC puts a middle line there is for "AVERAGE".

Dr. Neil Frank doesn't even use NHC's path but rather goes by the % rates...

Right now if you were to pull up the satellite imagery and have it "ROCK" mode (you can get this from the NHC website) follow the path and really the storm hasn't made ANY changes to it's path in the last 24+ hours... Place an envelope or sheet of paper to the eye and have it to where it follows the edge of the paper and take a look at the other side of the paper...

You get landfall right inside Galveston...This storm needs to move north now.

Don't let your guard down... Though I hope your right

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I just want to give a heartfelt outreach to all my cyber family, I wish I could just pack yall here (sans the driving)in the shack in TN, give you squirrel meat ready-to-eat, and some water...

The main thing, is I wish the best for everyone there. My family is there in more ways than one, and a part of my heart is there as well,...My plans have been to come down Oct. 3rd to spend almost a week at my Mom's home in Atascocita, but it has crossed my mind that so many things could change when I go down there...