1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Roger Clemens pitch next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Cire, Sep 19, 2005.

?

Will Roger Clemens retire after this season?

1. Roger Clemens will retire after this season?

53.1%
  2. Roger Clemens will pitch next year?

46.9%
  1. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

Roger has said that he would retire, so his mother could see him enter the Hall of Fame. But before she died, she said that she wanted him to only retire when he is not at his best.

What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, he will pitch next year, and possibly the year after.

DD

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my bet is he'll pitch.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I believe he has already said he will pitch next year as long as Ausmus is still here.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, I thought it was something like "If I were to pitch here next year, Ausmus would have to be there also."

That statement is far less predictory than the former one.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think he will, but the Astros need to go out and get some help in the offseason to make it worth his while.

7. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I voted no, but I think it depends a lot on how this season ends. If they make the playoffs, I think the chances of his coming back are better. (maybe more like 50-50, whereas now I would estimate it at more like 20-80).

The way the offense keeps taking games off in his starts, it has to leave a bad taste in his mouth. Does anybody know offhand if his run support is significantly worse than last year? Crappy run support didn't stop him from coming back this year, but it seems to me like it's even worse this year. Could just be the recent badness skewing my perception though. Plus last offseason he said he wanted to pitch a season with Andy healthy. That's been done now, so what's left?

So yeah, if the team misses the playoffs, they will probably have to improve the offense significantly in the offseason to lure him back. Even if they make the playoffs, they'll probably still have to improve noticeably to get him back.

8. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Depends on uncle drayton. I don't see Roger coming back unless drayton brings in some more bats.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He's got a sweet, sweet deal in his Hometown, and he will probably get a similar deal next year if he wants it. He will be back. The only X-Factor I see is if his mother's death effects him profoundly. We've seen it before in other athletes.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If they don't make the playoffs I doubt he will be back, even though they would have been competitive.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

IIRC, He's making $18 million this season. What will he want for next season?! :eek: :confused:

We really need some bats inorder to even make this plausible.

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd say he has two more seasons left in him... and he has the perfect scenario going with Houston. He doesn't travel if he's not pitching and he can do and go wherever he wants whenever he wants... so why wouldn't he? He loves the game, and as long as he can compete he will pitch.

13. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Here you go.....

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=100916

"He would have to be here," Clemens said. "He would have to. If I was to be here, I would need that man back there. He's that valuable."

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Roger shouldn't even bother unless he signs a contract with a clause in it that states a minimum of 2 runs a game in support is required.

15. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

LOL, True.

16. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Dead Lock Tie

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

haha...

18. PhiSlammaJamma

If the playoffs were important, he would not have asked for 5 trillion dollars this year. I think he wants to pitch regardless of how good we are.

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I don't think he feels he needs too. If he has gas left in the tank, what the hell.

20. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Maybe if we pay him another 18 million he'll pitch for the love of the game! ;)
    But this time he gets an extra million for every no decision. :cool: