1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RITA] Storm in the Atlantic to Watch for Texans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xenon, Sep 18, 2005.

1. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

hope cy-fair closes for friday

I got a test my nigs! :eek:

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Are the big dots supposed to indicate the eye of the storm? From that map it is cutting straight through my house! (W Houston) :eek:

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I've got a first floor in Pasadena.

If it didn't flood during Allison, is it safe now?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If so, it's making landfall in my grandma's backyard(Lake Jackson, Jone's Creek, Freeport Area), then heading straight towards the rest of my family(Magnolia, Tomball area).

5. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

SEPT 20, 2005 / 11:15 PM CDT

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/SteveGregory/show.html

HURRICANE RITA NEARS MAJOR CATEGORY 3 INTENSITY
    EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 STORM
    SURGE FREEPORT TO TEXAS/LA STATE LINE POSSIBLE SATURDAY

RECON and Satellite imagery continues to show Hurricane Rita intensifying rapidly -- and is likely to reach
    Major Hurricane Status within a few hours.

Latest reported pressure was 965mb, with MAX sustained surface winds of 100mph. The storm is
    currently located near 24.1N/83.2W -- about 90NM WSW of Key West -- and very near Dry Tortugas.
    The storm is moving west at 12Kts. Rita is a fairly large and still growing hurricane, with sustained gale
    force winds extending over 110NM in the northern semi-circle and about 70 miles to the south.

All models continue to forecast RITA to intensify to a CATEGORY 4, very Dangerous Hurricane,
    within the next 24-36 hours as upper level outflow winds continue to increase in all quadrants, and SST's
    remain near 84°F or higher across the entire Gulf -- and as long as the storm continues moving at a steady
    10Kts or faster, water temps are warm enough to sustain a CAT 4 Hurricane.

The models continue to forecast an erosion of the sub-tropical high now over the Gulf coast states, and
    Rita is expected to begin turning northwestward in about 48 hours, with a further curvature to a NNW
    heading by Friday night, some 18-24 hours before landfall. The last 3 model runs have shown a strong
    consensus for landfall along the upper Texas coast -- from near Port O'Connor to just east of Galveston.
    Although the average track forecast errors for 96 hours out is well over 200 miles -- there is a high confidence
    level in this track because the overwhelming majority of models are forecasting this track evolution -- and have
    done so for many model run cycles in a row.

While CATEGORY 4 status is excepted to be reached, there will be periods of intensity fluctuation as is
    typical of very strong hurricanes - primarily a result of eye wall replacement cycles -- and which is impossible to predict.

Although this storm is not expected to be as Catastrophic as Katrina in terms of absolute storm surge heights
    and aerial extent -- it very well may bring a severe, CATEGORY 4 Storm surge to a 50-80NM stretch of coast.
    With oil and product imports along with a very large proportion of oil and especially Natural Gas production
    located near Galveston north and east to off the coast of Louisiana -- the potential total impact on the U.S. energy
    production is almost of unimaginable levels.

Those living in the coastal areas from Port O'Connor to Lake Charles, LA should begin preparations to evacuate.
    Those living from near Freeport to Galveston are advised to evacuate sooner rather than later - if at at all practical.

The next full update will be late Wed AM after the 12Z model cycle completes. Brief status updates will be sent as warranted.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Is Montgomery (County I presume) far enough? My parents in SugarLand might go up to their ranch up there, but if things get worst, I met tell them just to come to Austin.

7. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

hey i stay right on hwy 6 & bissonett and i was wondering when it hits, how bad will it be for us in that area? would it be best to evacuate or can we ride it out? i never been in a hurricane before so i don't know what to except.

8. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

There is no way that they wont close it on thursday, they have to give everyone an opportunity to get their stuff together and get out. If UH was open on Thursday it wouldn't allow for that.

9. Isabel

Isabel Member

It's crazy... a friend who works in a motel here said they just sold out for the weekend. And we are a good ways on the OTHER side of San Antonio.

You guys stay safe and let's all hope and pray that this isn't as bad as it could be....

10. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

The Rita now a Cat 3...

Does anyone notice how erriely quiet it is outside?

I usually hear frogs and crickets...

I haven't seen one bird today either... As if they've all flown away...

11. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Can anyone give me updates on the Sugar Land area and 610 Astrodome area? I have families living at those places and wondering what is the best to do? evacuate or ride it out?

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

jeff you live in the heights right? i'm in garden oaks nearby, any idea what it's going to be like for this area? i'm going to my buddy's place in college station but i'm hoping the house is alright when i get back.

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

what about the medical center area? what ya think? given the location and elevation?

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

**** THIS STUPID ASS STORM, ****ING PIECE OF **** KEPT ME AT WALGREENS FOR 13 HOURS TODAY ****ING WORKING AND STOCKING COZ PPL WANTED WATER AND FLASHLIGHTS AND BATTERIES, AND DUMBASS MANAGERS CANT ADD AND SUBTRACT. **** YOU RITA

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

When the animals leave it is time to run for the hills.

16. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

2 am Models are getting worse for Houston... BAMM moved slightly to Houston putting the Exact Eye just over the Galleria Area/West 610

Intensity at 145 mph at coast - this would put 110 SUSTAINED winds for 2+ hours inside Houston's loop with Gusts to 145 MPH...

Buildings will collapse. Stay away from downtown... All it takes is one flying debris in Downtown to create a ricochet affect that will smash all windows and create a an area of just flying glass.

At this time i would begin preparations and taking action to protect property and life.

Hit or not... Somebody will get it and it's looking worse for Houston this morning... (and you all are saying we'll know better by Wednesday - now you know)

17. leehoang

leehoang Member

I wonder if classes will be canceled on Thursday...

Rita, please go away.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

guess whose a cat 4

19. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

HMMMMM, don't know?

20. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

I hope your not talking about this monster out in the Gulf are you?

[​IMG]

(Looks like a Cat4 already)