1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao get Max for 5 year, ESPN news (originally reported by Mark Berman on FOX)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thanwu, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Exactly. Stop all the Bucher bashing :D :D

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Take that Laker fans. :p

3. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

90 million over 5 years???? my god i'm not sure if he's worth that but at least he's still in a rocket uniform.

4. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

No, the team option was already picked up after Yao's sophomore year and way before this contract extension negotiation started. Once it's picked up, it's picked up.

Plus, after what Carlos Boozer did the Cavs, no team is crazy enough to try something like this.

#64 DeAleck, Aug 31, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  5. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

90 million? Where does it say that? I thought it was 75 million...

6. rvpals

rvpals Member

Awesome news. Way to go, Yao! :cool:

7. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

8. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

As John Miller told James Ryan: "James, Earn it!"

9. TheBear01

TheBear01 Contributing Member

Five days later it is finally official...come on, let's celebrate again baby!! :D :D

[​IMG]

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Can someone please fill me in on what the Laker Fans are saying on thier board now. I'de love hear what they are saying now since they were so confident that they could woo Yao away from Houston.

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

It's hilarious. They now are calling for a 2008 plan that centers around landing LeBron James. They are also saying that when Kwame and Bynum develop into superstars they will have the greatest lineup in NBA history with LeBron, Kobe, Odom, Kwame, and Bynum...all of which will be all stars! Haha.

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

They are also saying "Yao sucks", "He's not worth the max anyway" blah blah blah.

It's amazing how confident they are of getting a superstar in 2007. If they think for one minute LeBron would sign up to play with Kobe, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. I wonder what's gonna happen when that franchise realizes Kobe's presence makes them radioactive to superstar or borderline superstar free agents choosing who to sign with. If the Lakers don't get lucky in the draft, I don't see them ever returning to a championship level. Of course, if Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown and Bynum all develop into superstars ( :rolleyes: ), they have it made in the shade. :D

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

What else did you expect them to say now? :rolleyes:

14. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Something like Amare > Yao or James > Yao :D

15. jlwee

jlwee Member

It doesnt matter Amare > Yao and/or James > Yao cos the lakers are not gonna land either one of them.. and they will suck as long as kobe is in the team :D

16. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Now that Yao Ming is getting max money, I hope he feels absolutely obligatory to start performing like a true max money player ON THE COURT. I am sick of him always deferring to role players eventhough he has the ability (but not the intention) to take over games.

Hey Yao, if you let role players win games for your team, then you don't deserve to pocket the money you are going to get. I know, you said you like to see all your teammates contribute to a win. Go play in the park. This is business. You must deliver when you get paid 5 times your teammates' salary.

17. qrui

qrui Member

the numbers are all over the places, from 75 to 90 mil. the only thing for sure is he'll get the max the houston can offer. and it's "at least 80.9 mil" according the chronicle article someone quoted on the 1st page of this thread.

18. qrui

qrui Member

i wouldn't worry about this too much. it's all because of his confidence. once he realizes that he truely has the ability do whatever he wants to do even in the nba he'll start act like a superstar. remember his dominance when he played in the asian games and even some games in the olympics? that's when he had his full confidence.

19. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That Michael Jordan guy passed off some criticaly important shots to the Steve Kerr's and John Paxon's of that team. I certainly wouldn't hold that against him.

20. Nero

Nero Member

GEEEEEZ.

Houston has now moved into the Top Ten in media markets - sheesh, how much bigger do we need to be before people stop dismissing Houston as some kind of 'small-market' team?

Hmph. I guess we're going to have to make Uncle Drayton sell his team before anyone will ever take this town seriously.. he's dragging us down, with all his 'medium-market' propaganda.. :(