1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Are Today's Most Naturally Gifted Players?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Drexlerfan22, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This question popped into my mind when I was discussing the big Miami Heat trade (specifically Jason Williams): which players currently in the NBA have/had the most natural basketball talent, whether they harnessed and used it effectively or not? (I don't want to get into talking about Wilt/Russell/Magic/Bird/Jordan/Oscar/etc., so just current). I certainly do think Jason Williams is one of the top few. Very few.

This isn't even close to an exhaustive list, they're just the ones that immediately come to mind. In no particular order:

Haves:

Lebron James: There's not much to say. This guy is something else. He sees the floor almost as well as a certain former Lakers point guard. He rebounds, he defends, and he can be your whole offense.

Tracy McGrady: He does everything. WELL.

Jason Williams: He handles and passes better than anyone in the league today, when he cares enough. He can actually play some choking defense, too, but only when he's pissed or has something to prove.

Hads:

Chris Webber: Has there ever been a better passing 4? Heck, he was one block and one assist away from a quad-double once. You don't really need to say much else.

Antoine Walker: He passed like a point guard (but only when he wanted to), he was a top rebounder (when he wanted to be), he's a great shooter (when he didn't force things), and he used to be able to guard a lot more than a cardboard cutout.

A Few Notables I'm Leaving Off

Kobe Bryant: I feel like his ceiling is lower than McGrady and Lebron. I feel like they're all at about the same place right now... the difference is Bryant is there already, and T-Mac and Lebron are still going.

Kevin Garnett: Very talented, no doubt, but too much of what he does depends on his hustle and his size.

Dirk Nowitzki: Doesn't have great court vision, and his defense is only decent because of size and athleticism. Most unguardable player in the league? You could argue that. But not most talented.

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are you talking physical gifts?

Shaq? Who else has been given what he has to work with in terms of pure physical talents? Add that to his brain type which is the same as all time greats like Hakeem, Jordan, Moses, Bird and many others.

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think Amare should be in that list, because he came from high school and he was very good in his first season, and is still a great player.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

except he's an average rebounder, defender, and can't pass worth a lick

5. Drexlerfan22

No, not just physical gifts. What I mean is more like basketball sense and skills that you can't necessarily teach. Could you teach Francis to see the floor like Lebron or Magic? Could you show Mo Taylor how to rebound like Rodman? If you drilled Jerome Moiso enough, could you make him pass like Webber? That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Notice I penalized Garnett for relying too much on his size and hustle (physical gifts and work ethic).

I realize work ethic has a huge effect on developing the skills I'm talking about... but some guys just don't learn those skills as well as others. Does anyone see what I'm getting at, or am I just talking crazyspeak?

Shaq? Not a great ballhandler or visionary passer like Webber or Walker. Really a good but not great rebounder, too, but his size and athleticism get him numbers.

Amare would be a good proposition, except that he's a pitiful passer, IMO.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You'd have to put Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, and Darius Miles on that list.

7. Asian Sensation

No love for AI? The things he does for his size siezes to amaze me every time I watch him play.

8. Drexlerfan22

Odom, nice! Can't believe I forgot about him. Defnitely agree wholeheartedly.

Miles I'm pretty close to agreeing on, though from what I've seen, he lacks rebounding instincts.

Artest? He seems like just an okay ball handler and passer to me.

Yeah, I'd probably say yes to Iverson too... I guess he's starting to fly under the radar for me, with the Sixers doing nothing...

Of course, these are all just my personal, extremely subjective judgements...

BTW, no one disagrees with anyone I listed in the first post yet? I'm kinda surprised. :D

9. oniichan

oniichan Member

dirk most unguardable player?

tmac answered that question rt there.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I would put Garnett on that list.
    Every time i see him play i'm just amazed, there are 2 other players were i get the same feeling with: t-Mac and Lebron. Garnett is amazing, ofcourse he depents on his height. But it is unbelievable how atletic he is with that size. I saw some game where he just grabed a rebound over someone with one hand(ok i cannot do justice to that play with descriping it).
    He can also pass dribble(i remember when he just played pointguard because hudson wasn't any good at it), the only thing i hold against him is that he defers to much to his teammates he should be more selfish.

my list
    Haves:

Garnett.
    T-Mac
    Lebron.

hads:
    Webber.
    Shaq (he is getting old, but he was unbelievable, and he could have been a much better rebounder, if he cared).

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i've been seeing some high praises for darius miles lately on this board.
    did i miss something before the season ended?

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Miles may have the physical gifts, but he still sucks ass...He's never even attempted to develop a halfway decent jumper

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I agree, some people have all this love for a guy who has done nothing.

14. Drexlerfan22

Oh yeah, I agree that McGrady is unguardable as well, but when Dirk's on, what're you gonna do about a 7-foot jumpshooter? I'm 6-0, and I know how it feels to guard a 6-6 pure shooter. You feel pretty stupid, because really, you can't do much when they start draining 3s.

15. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I think what he meant was that T-Mac proved in the playoffs that Dirk is guardable. We lost b/c of the backcourt, not Dirk.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Didn't Bowen and Padgett guard Dirk most of the time during that series? ;)

17. JamesC

JamesC Member

Ray Allen, he's got one of the prettiest jumpers in the league.

18. fba34

i'd actually question his physical gifts. basically all he is is some tall gangly guy. and whatever advantages he has is offset by his attitude and mental weakness.

19. fba34

well he did get mo cheeks fired ;)

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You left out Vince Carter fromt he 'Hads' list.