1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Bush Cutting and Running from Crawford?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Amy Goodman is reporting that it looks like Cindy chased Bush out of Crawford, as Bush is continuing his vacation, but from some place in Idaho.

I don't know if this is correct. He might just be going in search of a friendly audience to give another pro-war speech in front of, since his pro-war photo op in Utah did not turn out too well from a pr point of view.

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

glynch:

based on your visit to the camp, what kind of a reception do you think bush would get if he came out to talk to cindy?

has this now escalated to a media event, or is it still about a mom's quest to make sense of her son's death?

3. Major

Major Member

Unfortunately, I think this has become a media event. Cindy is not even there at this time (family illness). I think its a great idea and way to protest and generate media attention, but her original message has been lost.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I agree ~ the whole 'Camp Casey', 'Peace House', 'Liberty Camp', etc., etc., has become quite ridiculous - typical moveon.org garbage. Taking good cause and using it to put money in their coffers ~ this entire protest will eventually backfire and become a joke. Chants of "Bush Lied, Casey Died" don’t help matters -- media whoring at its finest and very poor taste.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I doubt moveon is behind Cindy Sheehan's protest. If anything, moveon has been taking a stance that's much like Hillary's -- staying the course.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

True dat!

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

How's this media whoring?

[​IMG]

8. Major

Major Member

Check out the moveon.org homepage... they are supporting nationwide vigils for Cindy Sheehan, etc. They certainly didn't start it - but they've jumped on the bandwagon.

I thought the original intent of the protest - Sheehan wanting to ask Bush what the purpose and goals are of this war (what her son died for) - was a great idea. I don't think we're going to get the answer though, and it's disappointing, given that it is a very good question that has never been clearly answered by the administration.

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

What else do you expect moveon say about Cindy Sheehan, belittle her?

Does moveon have a prominent presence at Camp Casey in Crawford, TX?

C'mon, if moveon resembles anything like its original movement, I must be delusional.

#9 wnes, Aug 23, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What started as a simply protest by Cindy Sheehan for the right reasons has become an overblown media event for all the wrong reasons.

[​IMG]

How soon some of you forget...

;)

11. Major

Major Member

I think if moveon didn't support her views/purpose, they would just stay out of it, instead of making a massive promo of her on their homepage. I'm just saying the MoveOn has latched onto this for its own purposes - part of what has taken away the original purpose of her camp, and what has made it a media thing.

12. Major

Major Member

Here's some more:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/17/AR2005081702266.html

<I>
    MoveOn.org is leaving nothing to chance as it tries to make Sheehan into a national icon. It supplied demonstrators with advice on media relations. ("When talking to reporters, it is OK to keep repeating the same message over and over. It may feel strange to do that, but the reporters are used to it.") MoveOn.org designed printable placards for participants proclaiming "Dogs for Cindy" and "Moms for Peace." It directed vigil hosts to declare "if you have pets your guests could be allergic to."

"We're also asking that you bring pictures of children," MoveOn.org requested, and it didn't matter "whether or not you have a child serving in the military."
    </I>

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let's face it, things have changed as the polls show a majority against Bush's handling of Iraq.

The gutless media has been given permission to cover the majority who oppose Bush on Iraq. Cindy was just at the right time and the right spot.

This is how news goes in the US. To blame it all on Moveon.org etc. is to be simplistic.

I also suppose many in the media are feeling bad for being completely fooled by the Bush Administration and are eager to start covering the story of our Iraq fiasco.

How long can you suppress the majority?

"Can't fool all the people all the time." Abe Lincoln.