1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26 Sports] DA coMing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by r-fan-since-81, Aug 21, 2005.

1. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Awesome off season. This upcoming season is gonna be even greater than usual. I can't wait. Huge bench. Yes!

2. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I think you are right. I just hope it isn't for Sprewell.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

We all knew Hakeems best days were gone. I saw no indication from Deke last season to lead me to beleive he is done...unlike Dream.

And that's my point. He's gotta get there. The Rockets success lies with McGrady...not the supporting cast (or maybe Yao). Yes, the supporting cast helps...but McGrady has the talent...with a respectible roster...to take us to the promise land. Maybe last season was enough to teach him the mentality of how to lead a team.

I disagree. We had the cast...as evidenced by the fact we took the Mavs to 7 games. But in game 7's, superstars should come out to play. The Mavs took control of the game. A mega-star doesn't let games get out of hand like that. Do you think a Tim Duncan team gets blown out like that? What about Shaq? What about MJ. Hell no!!!!

Yes, supporting guys gotta support. But Yao and Tmac were average. They did nothing special in Game 7. They were very good...but they weren't great. If they played GREAT, then we wouldn't have seen that Game 7. ...and that's my point. The Rocks had 4th quarter leads in games 3 and 4. True superstars wouldn't have let that happen. Hopefully one or both will get there this season.

If TMac elevates his game next season, the Rockets will be tough to beat.

#203 krosfyah, Aug 22, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  4. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

The Rockets have again reinvented themselves, and the two recent signings again show the long term vision of CD, which is why I feel he should be considered for MVP next year when we play the Spurs in the western conferance finals. How does this front office continue to attract this level of talent with this level of funding? I think the whole deal starts at the top, and all those who have again dumped on the front office before seeing what they intended to do should also give them due.

Now the players need to make it happen, but the parts for many special years is being assembled and is ready for action. DK will be big this year cause he really does have a special light inside, a heart of a champion. Then someone else will want to fill that slot in a year or two, i'm sure. For some reason players just really take to being here overall. Houston, give yourself a pat on the back as a good sixth man in many ways.

5. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge JH fan (just ask Tinman about all of our debates last season) and think that he did very well for us while he was healthy. However, we have to realize two things: JH mostly provides scoring for us. He is outmatched by younger, quicker, stronger and faster PF's. Swift is going to be a better compliment to Yao b/c of his blocking and his rebounding.

DA only signed a short term deal with us (as he should have). That's why I think that he was promised a starter's slot. Do you think that DA and his agent would have picked the Rox if CD told DA, you can come here and be a role player and score less 10 pts a game and dish out a few assists? I think that they picked the Rox b/c DA will be getting big minutes and the opportunity to contribute alot, thus boosting his value for his final NBA contract.

Also, both JH and DW both came in and pretty much jumped into the starting lineup right? Why is it hard to believe that Stromile and DA couldn't do the same?

6. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

i dont think he was promised a starting role because i remember reading him saying if he came here it would be nice because he has a chance to fight for the starting job...i think he signed for less because of other reasons like what his agent said in the chron last night, "It wasn't about the money," Dutt said. "It's about a system that works for him, to get a chance to compete on a high level again and be on a winning team."...and for jh and dw jumping into the starting roles, it was because we traded jj for dw so we really didnt have anyone else who could compete for the sg spot...and jh had to compete with taylor for the pf spot...he wasnt a sure starter until a few games into the season...

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I disagree. We had the cast...as evidenced by the fact we took the Mavs to 7 games. But in game 7's, superstars should come out to play. The Mavs took control of the game. A mega-star doesn't let games get out of hand like that. Do you think a Tim Duncan team gets blown out like that? What about Shaq? What about MJ. Hell no!!!!

Umm, Tim Duncan led the team that were dominated like no other team in the 2001 playoffs. It was supposed to be the big matchup, Lakers vs. Spurs, and the Lakers just absolutely destroyed them in all 4 games- I mean, EACH GAME was like a 20+-point drubbing. So, yes, a Tim Duncan team can and has been blown out. Also, losing 4 in a row to the Lakers after being up 2-0 year before last isn't exactly going down fighting, either.

Regarding Shaq....swept by the Rockets in 1995, swept by the Pacers in 1996 (I think that was the year, might have been 1997), swept by Utah in 1998, beaten by the Pistons in 5 games- until 2000, Shaq's career was DEFINED by being swept more than any other superstar player at that point in his career. The ultimate stats-guy who doesn't make his team better. Then, he went on the run from 2000 to 2002 and all that was conveniently wiped out of everyone's memory.

I bet that if you went back in history, almost every superstar player has been at the butt end of major losses and blow-outs. How about Magic Johnson's Lakers losing in 5 games (these were the defending champs, remember) to the ... Rockets? Larry Bird's Celtics took quite a beating from the Lakers in several games, as well. Wilt Chamberlain? How many championships did his teams capture? Malone, Ewing, Barkley, Duncan, Drexler, Olajuwon (the Seattle sweep in 1995)- all of the greatest players in the game have almost all been involved with colossal, unexpected losses. Which makes the ones who led their teams to championships that much more special.

Jordan might be the only example who wasn't blown out- then again, he didn't really lead the Bulls to the promised land until his, what, 8th season?

McGrady's legacy is like Shaq's pre-2000: great player, tremendous stats, can't lead his team past the first round. Once the Kobe Bryants (aka Yao), Derek Fishers, Robert Horrys, Rick Foxes, and Ron Harpers of the current Rockets step up and contribute, we should see the same result and any mention of Tracy being a choker will be erased from memory.

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I meant to say that the first paragraph was from a previous message.

"

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

m_cable, I don't know if you are reading this after 34 posts, but yes I did mean that. TMac is capable of putting up performances that will inspire this team to realize greatness. I think a TMac-Yao team is capable of doing something that great. It is only a matter of what's inside them(T/Y) and by that I mean concentration and perseverence(things that are contagious to teammates) .

10. munco

munco Member

Tim Duncan didn't look like a superstar in a lot of playoff games this year. They don't make superstars like they used to. heh.

11. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Last year, both JH & DW stepped into empty slots, JH into Cato's and DW into Cat's. This year, JH & DW are returning starters who have earned the respect of JVG and will have to be displaced. It's possible Swift & DA step right in right away, I just doubt it. Like I said, I can easily see DA displacing DW at some point during the season if he fits the system, plays hard and is unselfish. Most of us agree Wesley is our weakest starter. At the PF, JH was very very solid before he went down. He was getting rebounds on defense and taking advantage of weak defensive players (29 points against the Mavs) on offense. Plus, he has a high bball IQ and flows very well in our 1/2 court offense.

With his physical talent, Swift could come in like gangbusters and displace JH. I don't think that will happen. He must learn the fundamentals of what we do on both sides of the floor and that could take some time. With the "win now" mantra, Swift has an uphill fight IMO. We will see. The competition will be good for the team.

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Uh..wasn't Duncan injured?

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yes. He was still recovering from that bad ankle sprain he suffered late in the season in L.A.

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Yeah, I was impressed with how well TD played on that ankle, and never used it as an excuse.

15. TheBear01

TheBear01 Contributing Member

I just catch a bit from 610 the Rockets will sign DA at 3pm today (correct me if i wrong), welcome to Houston DA :)

Btw, what else can we talk after today? When will the camp begin??

16. Cohen

To address these opinions 1 more time...

The second half of last season we went 29-12.
    Phoenix's first half of the season was 31-10 and the second half was 31-10.
    Spurs were 32-9 and then 27-14 (with a hobbled TD)

Are Swift + DA not good enough to add a 2 or 3 wins in half a season?

17. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

im just glad the rockets signed derek anderson as a great excuse to sit wesley on the bench!!!! im in heaven!!!!!! :)

now i wish the rockets would move all the bad contracts (baker, moochie, ward) and have a quaility point guard fall out of the sky, above, in return.

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That's true. I'll grant you that. That being said, which team would you take. A Shaq/Kobe team or a Tim Duncan team? By my rationale, Shaq was the best player on the court. Duncan is really really consistently good but he isn't really going to overwhelm you like a Shaq would. Maybe Duncan isn't the best example. I'd trade Duncan for Shaq everytime.

And that's supports my position. Superstars are RARELY born...they are made. Dream paid his dues. So did Shaq and MJ.

I'm not saying great players win everytime. But as a general rule of thumb, great players will ultimately find a way to win...after they paid their dues. Larry Bird's Celtics ultimately won so my "best player on the court" theory still holds. ;)

When you pit megastar against megastar, anything goes. That's when the role players come into play...as well as luck, injuries, refs, mojo, streaks, momentum, etc. For example, Shaq vs. Duncan or Bird vs. Magic. One team can have better role players but may not win because the other team had better luck, injuries and momentum (substitute whatever variables).

Malone, Ewing and Barkley will all go down as great...but they won't go down as legends...such as Shaq and MJ. Ewing got outclassed by Dream. Malone and Barkley got outclassed by MJ. Again, who was the BEST player on the court?

Look, just because you reach megastar status doesn't mean you win EVERYTIME because stuff happens. Sometimes opposing teams just get hot (like the Mavs in game 7). Sometimes refs impact a game. Sometimes injuries. But it does mean that at the end of your career, you will be known for that "something extra." More often than not, the team that wins the championship has that special player with "something extra." and more often than not, that special player paid their dues.

That last Laker champsionship team was a joke...except Shaq/Kobe. MJ had Luc Longley and Bill Wennington as major contributors. The Rox had Maxwell and Kenny Smith. The upgraded role players are nice and make things easier but the star player is USUALLY the key componant...not the role players.

Maybe I'm full of BS but that's how I feel. :D

19. aries323

aries323 Member

Why all the DWesley hating going on here, i mean JVG said he was our best perimeter defender, and he played hard... although he is limited by his age and height, the guy can flat out play. He wasnt healthy last year and this year he will knock down a lot more of those shots he will get.

20. Cohen

Agree w/ aries323...why all the hatin on Wesley? He played an important role last year and hustled his arse off.