1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ch.2] Derek Anderson says Rockets his No.1 choice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

IT looks like Finley is going to make his decision. Then Spreewell will choose his spot and DA will slot in unless he makes the first move. Seems Detroit, Miami and Houston will get all 3 of them.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Lakers fans seem to think that DA talking to Phil on Friday (a day after his meeting with the Rockets) is good for LA's chances to land DA.

I have no clue...

12:25 AM PDT on Saturday, August 20, 2005

From Staff and News Services

Derek Anderson's agent said the 6-foot-4 guard will decide between joining the Lakers and the Houston Rockets by Monday.

Tony Dutt, who represents Anderson, said his client had talked with Lakers coach Phil Jackson on Friday after he visited the Rockets Thursday and was weighing his options.

Dutt said money won't be an issue because the Lakers are offering Anderson between $2.5 and $3 million of their $5-million mid-level exception and the Rockets can offer only the "bi-annual" exception of $1.67 million. Anderson, who became a free agent after he was waived by the Portland Trail Blazers under the new "amnesty" rule, will be paid the $18.835 million he is due the next two years by Portland.

The Lakers can entice Anderson with a starting spot alongside Kobe Bryant.

Dutt said Anderson wasn't concerned that the Lakers had showed interest in free-agent guard Aaron McKie, who played for the 76ers and has had conversation with the Nets.

"Derek wants to make the right decision," Dutt said in a phone interview. "I told him he can't go wrong with either one. He just wants it to be the right fit."

If Anderson decides on the Lakers, they will have 16 players under contract. But the Lakers have until the end of September to buy Vlade Divac out of his contract for $2 million.

Also, if the Lakers waive Leron Profit, who was acquired with Kwame Brown from the Wizards for Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins, Washington has to pay his salary. Profit, however, is expected to be at training camp.

BRODERICK TURNER
    http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_2nba_notes_20.22d7742a.html

3. Phizz3l

Phizz3l Contributing Member

McKie, Anderson Get Offers
    Lakers seek a point guard, but neither one is a sure thing. Turiaf says he wants to return.

By Mark Heisler, Times Staff Writer

The Lakers have effectively made similar offers of $2.5 million to guards Aaron McKie and Derek Anderson, sources said, with the understanding that the first one who accepts gets it.

The sources say the Lakers have couched it in diplomatic terms as having had "financial discussions" with both players. Those conversations make the Lakers the high bidder for both players and the only team in the running with a starting job open. Nevertheless, the team will have to wait out the weekend to see if either will come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak had no comment Friday, saying only the team is continuing to explore its options.

Anderson is said to be making up his mind between the Lakers and Houston, which can offer only $1.7 million. However, Anderson visited the Rockets on Thursday, met with Coach Jeff Van Gundy and told the Houston Chronicle, "I think it went real well."

"They were real upfront and honest with me, and that's what I wanted," Anderson added.

A source said Anderson is leaning toward the Rockets but will take the weekend to decide.

McKie was thought to be close to agreement with New Jersey until the Lakers became involved last week. McKie is a Philadelphia native, which would make staying on the East Coast attractive.

However, having used or promised their exceptions to Jeff McInnis and Robert Traylor, the Nets have been offering McKie only the veteran's minimum of $1.1 million.

Under a formula that allows amnestied players to "double dip," getting their old salaries plus some of the money from their new teams, McKie would keep $900,000 of his salary from the Nets.

In comparison, McKie would keep $1.6 million from the Lakers. In either case, he would also get $6.5 million from his old team, the 76ers.

Also, the Lakers would give McKie or Anderson a chance to start at point guard. They are being projected as reserves in Houston and New Jersey.

The Lakers have been limited in what they can offer by owner Jerry Buss' insistence on saving cap space for the summer of 2007, which means they can offer only two-year deals.

They offered the entire $5-million exception to Antonio Daniels but lost him when Washington offered him that much, but on a five-year deal.

4. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

This article is very promising, I expect that we hear that DA will sign with the Rox on Monday because:

1. LA is only offering a 2 year deal instead of a 5.
    2. The difference in the amnesty offset between LA's 2.5M and the Rox 1.67M is about 400K not the actual 800K and only about 300K if you take into account Californias state income tax.
    4. No teams have made a better offer than LA.
    5. He gets to stay home.
    6. This is the situation he is most comfortable in and is his first choice.

So the only thing is the starting job, I didn't know we had a starting PG. If DA plays well enough then why can't he start. He should see that opportunity to start here and not be limited to a backup role.

5. dram1

dram1 Member

True... I was an idiot. But my point is that he is in a generation where it is all about the paper, until they wake up one morning, over 30 and on the down side, and realize that its about more than that. They realize that they unless they change the way they think they may leave this game w/o ever being remembered. Now not every palyer can an MJ, LJ, AI, or T-Mac, where individual performance will put them in record books. So the only other way is to win a championship. Houston gives him the best chance of accomplishing that, even though LA has the Legend back on the sideline. Houston is on the verge of getting back to those magical years that seem so long ago. Buy your tix now b/c they will be there.

6. dram1

dram1 Member

I agree. Because JVG works that way. He doesnt care what people get paid or what they are capable of on paper. He wants to see it on the court. He'll give you a chance, but no one, with the exception of Yao and tracy, should change their mailing address to the starting line-up. Everything is earned on the court, ask Bostjan Nachbar. I was really pulling for that guy but you cant have him out there lost all the time. So to put it in a nutshell, if DA palys the way I think he can, and he stays healthy, he should start at either guard spot.

7. dram1

dram1 Member

I feel guilty b/c I havent contributed yet, but I was wondering why Clutchfans hasnt been updating like it used to. That Stro pic is getting old as hek. Any idea?

8. danielf

danielf Contributing Member

Im guessing that Clutch is on holiday...

9. beerghost

beerghost Contributing Member

He was injured by our then Mavericks Howard.

10. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Anderson did leave the Spurs for Portland. He felt they had made promises - commitments to him about his upcoming contract then crawfished on the details. He felt betrayed by the Spurs and as an unrestricted free agent - signed with Portland. I remember only because it is a wrinkle on the fine job the Spurs have done getting talent economically. I do not know if R.C. Buford lied to him or if it was Poppovich, or if Anderson bolted for no reason. I do remember Anderson playing a significant role on the team and the Spurs expressing disappointment.

11. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

Here's an interesting tidbit from earlier this year

March 31, 2005,
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Rockets Summary

High praise for Sura

Trail Blazers guard Derek Anderson offered the Rockets' Bob Sura about the highest praise a player can give a former teammate.
    "I love playing with that guy," Anderson said. "I've played with some great players, but my top five, he's on it. I don't care how many superstars you've played with. He's on my top five.

"It's like playing with Shaq (O'Neal). Would you want to play with him? Heck, yeah. Would you want to play with Bob Sura? Heck, yeah. He's one of the top people."

Anderson, who played with Sura in Cleveland from 1997 to 1999, would not share the rest of his top five.

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn, great find, Glyde22. We may have an ace in the hole!

13. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Two guys with bad backs who want to play together. Barry and James shouldn't worry about getting their minutes this year. But I will still be glad to have Derek, especially at the price of the LLE.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good find on the Sura/Anderson tidbit. I actually remember that article. Funny how relivant it is now.

We already heard Anderson talk glowingly about Stro,Tmac and Yao in the press and from the above tidbit we know how he feels about Sura. Seems like Houston is just the right fit for him. I havent heard Anderson say anything about the Laker roster.

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I just saw Anderson's numbers with Portland, even though he missed a lot of games, they are VERY impressive! 14 ppg, 4 rpg, 5 apg and only 2 TOs per game. Whoa. You pair him in the backcourt with Sura and I'll take my chances with ANYONE. His field goal shooting wasn't great at all, about 39%, but he also shot 39% from 3pt range. Definitely would be an awesome pickup for the Rocks!

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That's great news. If DA comes he and Sura would likely be our starting backcourt.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope that Sura is working Anderson the best of his ability. I do want Anderson on the Rockets. But I would also like it if Houston beat LA in this little off season 'game'.

18. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

is it just me or does DA kinda remind you of a larry hughes with a three point shot. This guy is going to be as much of a significant addition as swift is in my opinion. (if we get him)

19. leehoang

leehoang Member

Hughes is easily the better defender and more atheletic.

20. leehoang

leehoang Member