1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Latrell Sprewell to decide between Houston and Detroit...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Aug 16, 2005.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I do not want Sprewell. i think he can mess up the chemistry of this team. If they offer anything more then the LLE i would be unhappy.

2. Possum

Possum Member

I'll be unhappy if they offer him anything more than the vet-min.

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

I dont know about Sprewell but Van Gundy loves him and from what I've heard the feeling is mutual from Sprewell. That would be a good start should he come here.

4. Strathead

Strathead Member

If Spree is willing to take Houstons's LLE then it would speak alot for his desire to win while playing an integral part (starting 2) therefore Rox fans should absolutely welcome him with opened arms.
    I've been a fan of Spree for many years. The guys is actually a very simple character. He has a tendancy to speak and do ridiculous things off the court but he's also a very straight forward guy (that's why he doesn't really think before he acts). Under the guidance of JVG, I think he will bring the toughness and grit that Houston desparately needs. He's capable of playing in a unmatched intensity (something that I never see in Finley). Spree and Sura would be a very tough backcourt duo to play againist espacially on the defensive end. Offensively they may not be a consistent source for open treys but there is always a James, Barry and Wesley off the bench.

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Sprewell became a problem last season beause of contract issues. Should he sign here for the "lle", then there would be no issues of that nature.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The article sounds like another 'agent mentioning the Rockets as leverage' deals to me, using the "just wants to play for a championship" card to instill a sense of ugency in the team with money to offer.

But, I said the same thing early in the Swift negotiations and my cynicism was unfathomly proved wrong...but this is Latrell 'Feed My Family' Sprewell we are talking about here. And no, once you have said the all time stupidest line in sports you never get to live it down, it will be spray painted on your tombstone.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

At least you're honest. You still wouldn't mind having him for the LLE though, right?

8. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Would David Stern get pi$$ed if we had a "Food for Spree's Family" night at Toyota Center and everyone brought a bag of food? We might have to do it once a month.... :cool:

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Don't we already have enough old has beens on the roster? :confused:

Just say NO to Spree!!

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I personally think Sprewell could really help this team.

Sprewell under JVG = the revived Spree of sorts

Remember, this guy has nothing but respect for JVG and loved playing under him.
    Mark my words...If he joins the Rockets this season, he will not dissapoint

11. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I think it will be the kind of thing that starts out good and ends bad...
    Stay the course and sign quality people like Deke, Barry etc

12. Nero

Nero Member

Well, while I personally do not care for the guy, I just have to say that whenever a guy is wearing the Rockets Uni, we all want him to succeed and for him to play well and help us win, and if/when he does that, we will cheer for him as much as we would anyone else.

Remember, this is a city that at one time was deliriously happy over signing Pippen, Barkley, Drexler, and of course TMac - all former Rocket-Killers before joining us.. hehehe obviously the quitten thing didn't work out, but we all were certainly willing to get behind him and cheer for his success.

So, as I have said before, even though I think Spree is a street trash thug, I am aware enough of my own limitations regarding basketball knowledge to be willing to defer to JVG's judgement. If JVG thinks he would help the team more than hurt it, then I would have to support the move, and then hope and pray that it works out well.

13. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

why are so many of you hung up on thinking he MIGHT sign for the LLE? Isn't that only worth 1.67 mil? Read the article again -- it says:

Translated -- He doesn't WANT to take the MLE, but he'll consider it.

There is NO WAY he'll dive for the LLE. Come on people.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

;) :)

15. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Sprewell would become a Rocket fan favorite the first time he shuts down Jerry Stackhouse and goes after Dampier for pushing Yao around. If we get him for reasonable money and a couple of years commitment he will be fine. Deke fought the age thing and was unhappy and unproductive in Philly, NY, and Chicago. He evolved into accepting a bench role and the Rockets were happy, he was at peace with himself. Hopefully Spe would have a like road. Thought he was an All Star stud before last season, had a bad year, turned a good team iinto a bad team, no love in offseason. I think a Spre grateful to JVG and the Rockets for a fresh start with a contender, willing to accept an elder statesman complimentary role, with a gigantic chip on his shoulder against the rest of the NBA, would be pretty nice.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

If we would have had spree instead of wesley against the mavs we would have been in the second round. he can guard big guards. wesley cant. he can finish fast breaks. wesley can't.

wesley is a better shooter of course but spree isn't all that bad of a shooter himself. 37% vs. 32%. we are talking 5%!!! that's one more make in 20 shots. not a big deal.

anyone worried about chemistry needs to remember who the coach on this team is. if you think spree would dare cause trouble on JVG's team you are mistaken. If you think JVG would bring anyone on this team that he felt he cant handle or would cause trouble you are mistaken.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would hope he doesn't end up here. The guy has some gas in his tank, but he isn't as good as Cuttino(I know we don't have him, and that he has already signed but just an example of all the players out there that have more value, and shelf-life), and hasn't been for some time, is inconsistent, and a problem child. Any amount of money is too much for him.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree. I think you are undervaluing Wesley's defense, and judging Spree based on Spree of several years ago. Spree's defense is still adequate, but overall Wesley is actually a much better defender even against bigger opponents. I was surprised how well Wesley played defense for us especially against the Mavs.

19. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

I don't understand how this thread grew to 4 pages... LATRELL SUCKS. he use to be good. he is not good anymore. i don't see how anyone can disagree with me if you saw him play last year. all of his value is in his name and what he did. i hope he goes to some other contender and screws them up.

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Everybody said Deke was old and washed up. Not only was EVERYBODY here proved wrong, but he is now a fan favorite. Now we don't blink at signing him up for 2 more years. :eek:

The other complaint is Spree will hurt chemistry? Huh? I don't recall hearing any teammate say they had problems. He had a problem ~10 years ago with one coach. Since then, two ex-coaches want him back. Yea, he slipped and said something stupid to the media...but he's no different than any other Pro-player...show me the money! He just verbalized it stupidly but that has no bearing on his ability to get along with teammates.

Old? Please. JVG seems to be a master at recognizing "old" dudes that can still play.

Chemistry? Please. Perhaps his best rep is as a warrior. No teammates complain about him.

Cost? He he comes here for the LLE, cost is irrelevant.

Redundant? Uh, no! He adds size and defense. Exactly what we lacked last season.

People that don't want him were hoping for somebody younger and more exciting. Well that doesn't look like it'll happen. So next best thing? Worst case scenario, he's a wash with Wesley but adds size flexibility in the back court. Best case, he's revitalized and has something left to contribute. For the LLE, I'm fine with it.