1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Long Have You Been, and What Made You Into a Rocket Fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ima_drummer2k, Aug 11, 2005.

1. redhova

redhova Member

Since the 91-92 season I believe Robert Horry was a rookie and Houston lost in the playoffs to the Seatle Supersonics in the second round. I was a huge fan of Jordan but never saw a big man play so well till Hakeem and he became my favorite playere and Rockets were my favorite team from that time forward I am from New England so I am some what of a loner here but with my head held high. :)

2. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

same here, except for the bathroom thing :eek:

then some guy from nigeria showed up in town who was so happy to have a new pair of shoes he was almost jumping over the backboard.

How could you not get excited about watching him and Clyde, Young, Micheaux, Gettys and the rest of the Phi slamma crew.

The family still talks about how I was waking them up at night during those west coast trips the Rox were making because I was either yelling at the refs making sucky calls or the Rox were lightin' it up.

3. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Since 1983. I was 7 years old and just discovering that this game was for me as a player and as a fan, more so than baseball and soccer and the other various sports I was being introduced to. The sport grabbed me at an even earlier age as I apparently at age 4 saw a commerical about the Harlem Globetrotters coming to town and called the number on the television screen trying to get tickets (of course not realizing that I needed a credit card to buy the tickets). Being a Houstonian, I spent a couple of early 80's fall and spring evenings listening to Gene Peterson broadcast the games on the radio. The team was God awful then, but I was young enough to not care about that at the time.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ditto.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Been a fan since '92 when I first heard of the Rockets. The reason I became a fan? Because it's a Houston team. I'm a HUGE homer of Houston.

6. tman0704

tman0704 Contributing Member

I am from Tasmania, Australia. I became a Rocket fan when Charles Barkley became a Rocket player. He was my favourite player, so I followed him from Philly to Suns to Rockets. Now I am a fully fledged Rocket fan. Get pumped when we win and get pissed and hsitty when we lose. Follow every game onm the Internet, cant get enough of it. Looking forward to the 05/06 season.

7. CHAD444

CHAD444 Contributing Member

I'm 33 and born and raised in Cleveland. I first became an Oilers fan. When I was young I Was a HUGE Earl Campbell fan!. Then it went on from there I became a Huge Rockets and Astros fan. Moses Malone got me hooked then the Hakeem era. I now live in phoenix and bleed Rockets and Astros.....and sorry Titans Blood every day!!!! I'm a Rockets and Astros Freak like most of you all!!! :eek: :eek: :D

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

About 1972. Lived in Houston and my father became a fan once they relocated to Houston.

9. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

I really got into the rockets in their playoff run in 81'. I remember watching some of the games against SA in the second round and hearing some of the games vs Kansas City on the radio. I lived in houston at that time, however I was out of town when they clinched vs the Kings. Some of the games against Boston were shown on tape delay basis after the news. Wow, how times have changed. I had watched some games during the previous season, which I believe was Rick Barry's last season with us. But it was during that the magical playoff run, that I started to bleed Rocket Red.

#109 mfgarza, Aug 11, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  10. leehoang

leehoang Member

Been a fan all my life, I was born here, so naturally I fell in love with all the hometown teams.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I started watching the Rockets last year.

12. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Man I should have sold you my account for more than $100. Oh well.

13. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

I'd been a casual fan since the back-to-back championships. By "casual", I mean periodically checking on the scores and seeing if the Rockets are in the playoffs, but otherwise not really following the team.

I became an intensely devoted fan December 10th, 2004, when I read about the McGrady Miracle in the Houston Chronicle.

Before that point, I'd heard about the Francis/McGrady trade, but didn't think much of it since I was barely following the team and following the NBA even less. Once I read what had happened at the Rockets/Spurs game the previous evening, I realized I was missing some damn fine basketball. Since then, I've gotten heavily into basketball in general and the Rockets in particular.

Dribble

14. omair

omair Contributing Member

Ever since the 1992 season i have been watching the rockets every chance i have. During the championship runs, after every victory, i would always go outside to try to perfect my "dream shake" on then my 8ft goal.

I had it pretty good for a while, especially for a 5th grader back then lol.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I was an Oilers and Astros fan in the 70's, but I think I became a fan of the Rockets when Moses Malone started emerging and Calvin Murphy was in his prime. I remember seeing the Rockets play a great regular season game at home in 1981 against the Celtics and that hooked me, depsite the loss. I have seen the Rockets play about ten times in person and I have never and I mean never seen them win in person, so I am envious of people seeing these great performances up close. I saw Mitch Richmond beat them when the Kings sucked, I saw the Antonio McDyess led Suns beat the crap out of them and my only game at the Toyota Center was when we visited Houston at Christmas and chose to see the Bobcats game instead of the Raptors. D'oh! No complaints, though...from 1987 to 2002 I saw just about every Rockets game on tv and I got a million great memories and I am looking forward to more!

16. cptcrunch

cptcrunch Member

I grew up in Austin and I am a huge Longhorn fan. When I was in elementary school Earl Campbell was the big man for UT. I was a huge Earl Campbell fan and followed his carreer to the Houston Oilers and became a Houston fan. Before I liked both Texas teams but as I followed the Oilers I learned how the Dallas Cowboys are "more superior" and saw how little respect the Houston Oilers got. This made me like the Oilers more and hate the Cowboys. My cousins and several friends are huge Cowboy fans and they are very obnocious when it comes to their Cowboys and then you have all the bandwagon fans. I loved it when Bum said, "Dallas may be America's team but Houston is Texas' team." Amen brother.

I did not really have a favorite basketball team. I liked the Bad Boys in the late 80's because I liked the way the played tough hard nose defense and the way they played as a team. When I met my wife my senior year we got pretty seriuos. She was from Houston but later moved to the Austin area. We made several trips to Houston and I fell in love with the city. 2nd to Austin of course. I figured since I like the Oilers and I like Houston a lot I should follow the Rockets. Once I started to follow them they were a easy team to root for. Hakeem the Dream, do I need to say more. This was in 1990. I've been very loyal since then. I like a few other teams but I love the Rockets and now the Texans. The Franchise years were very tough but I still remained loyal. If we stuck through that I can say we are definitely not fair weathered fans. As Earl Campbell would say, Peace and Love

17. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Watching Dream school Dave Robinson, outplay Shaq and Ewing and lead the Rockets to world champion turned me into a Rockets fan. And certainly to have Yao wearing a Rockets uniform turned me into a die hard Rockets fan.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Well, if I was in my room listening to the game instead of studying, I'd get busted. :)

19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I became a Rockets fan when Akeem was drafted. How often do you see a star local product (well, almost local) go straight to the local franchise? Berkman comes close, but Olajuwon was already a legend when he joined the Rockets.

20. MONON

MONON Member

Now this has to be the greatest Rockets Fan begining EVER! :D

I'll bore you with my Rockets history.

I was raised on farms in Indiana, therefore I'm a basketball player & fan. I moved my family to Houston in 74 looking for a better job. Driving into Houston, my 1st 2 observations were: Man this town is big" & "Where's all the basketball courts?". I started a parttime selling job & was able to get free tickets to several games at Hoffeinz. They were my 1st live pro basketball games. I was hooked.