1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

how to gain weight the right way?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rock, Jul 23, 2005.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Red Meat is scientifically proven as the best protien for building muscle. If you have issues with cholestoral etc.. then counter it with a glass of red wine and dark chocalate. I ate like this for almost a year in argentina (meat and good vino is so cheap down there) and got hella strong. gained 20lbs of which 15 were muscle. I only excersised 2 a week and did very little cardio.

As far as training never lift your max (max being 1 possible rep with wieght attached). Lift about 80% - 90%. Example if you can only bench 200 never lift more than 180.

Different routines works for different people, its all genetics. But here is an example set on bench if 200 is your max.
    Warmup= 15 rep/100lbs
    1st = 8-10reps/135lbs
    2nd = 8-10reps/135lbs
    3rd = 6-8reps/155lbs
    4th = 6-8reps/180lbs

Doesnt have to be exactly like this. Just make sure and pyramid.

2. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I strongly disagree with this post.

Safety and form are obviously the primary concerns, but lifting heavy weight is the best way to increase your anabolic rate and build muscle.

4. Isabel

Isabel Member

Not if you go to most restaurants. You'll get more calories than that. Of course, they may or may not be healthy calories...

By the way, for all those who are sensitive about being too thin, the rest of us don't mean to be rude: we just can't imagine ever feeling too thin (especially women, who are trained to think that there's no such thing as too thin) and we wish that was our problem. It seems like it would be good compared to what we deal with. (bad metabolism/ always having to be hungry and do lots of cardio just to not blow up like a balloon) In other words, everybody else is jealous.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Man I got crap like that too, when I was in high school, we go to IHOP a lot after debate tournaments. So here I was in a group of people at IHOP, and like I usually do after doing intellectual competition for like 12 hrs, I'm usually hungry so I order the huge omlett and a 2 extra sides for the night cap. I got this weird look from the waiter, and my friends were all like yeah, he eats a lot and don't gain weight. The waiter said some thing like you got a meal worm in there don't ya? Next thing I know, I have a meal worm named bob that my friends brings up every time we go out to eat for the next several months. :mad: :mad:

On I side not, I think my metabolism might be slowing down, I'm starting to get a belly I think. not huge, stil can fit into a size 28 pants, but it's starting to feel a little tight.

6. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

What the hell is a meal worm? I guess you had it coming being on the debate team and all though.

7. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Yea, it's so tough being skinny...didn't know so many other people felt the same way on here. I mean, I'm skinnier (and shorter on top of that) than all of you and it's so frustrating knowing that girls in your class and girls around you weigh more than me. Especially in college, when even I know it's all about what's on the inside that matters, I see all these other guys with "normal builds"...it just sucks...damn low self-esteem!

8. Isabel

Isabel Member

It's supposed to be a tapeworm, not a "meal worm".

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

people tweak their muscles/joints etc. by using incorrect form and not stretching.

heavy weight is the ONLY way to go if you're trying to gain mass. that's the only way you'll stimulate the bigger muscle fibers that are required for growth. if you're constantly working out with light weights you're only activating the smallest muscle fibers in your body. they won't need help and your larger muscle fibers wont ever get stimulated and you won't ever grow past a small amount.

spend a day getting the forms down on the excercises and figuring out what weight you can use at low reps while maintaing the proper form. it's perfectly safe is you do it correctly.

10. droxford

droxford Member

I'm not a fitness nut. I'm not an expert on dieting or weightlifting. And I'm not saying that the info I posted above will work for all people. I'm telling you what I was told. And I'm telling you that, as a skinny guy, that program worked very well for me.

Regarding weightlifting - don't try so much weight that you'll injure yourself. But don't go so light that you can easily do 12 reps, either (if you're new to weightlifting, a rep is one "up and down" ...or "forward and backward", or "down and up", etc.). I think the 80% - 90% statement was accurate.

In addition to being miserable for eating so much, at first your body is going to be extremely sore. I mean, so sore, it hurts to move. This is actually a good thing. Think of it as growing pains. It means that your muscle has been broken down and is going to grow back bigger and stronger.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

165 is not chubby for your height if it's the right kind of weight. i'm 5'9" too, but 195 lbs. i don't think people consider me overweight.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I agree in that lifting very small amount of weight will not help you 'bulk up', but lifting close to your max with each exercise will cause you problems down the road.

13. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Friggin' CLASSIC! And rubbing the fish sandwich against the wall...? I nearly died laughing.

Great sig, by the way.

14. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

Hi, I'm on a weight gain program as well. I've gained 15 lbs. "the right way" in 2 months. If you want an excellent program to follow, I suggest you go to LeeHayward.com and read his advice under the bulk up/weight gain section. The best program he has, IMO, is the squats and milk program. You can check it out at the following links...
    http://www.leehayward.com/squats.htm
    http://www.ironworkout.com/20_rep_squat.htm

Hope it helps.

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I need to clarify, an imaginary meal worm. Like I don't actually have one, but for some reason, my friends get a kick out of mentioning it every time I eat a large meal.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

drink a ****-ton of beer, preferably Fatweisers.