1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zeke called up

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NJRocket, Jul 14, 2005.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

We called him up today....I wonder if this is for the double header coming up or to start in Pettitte's place. Hopefully the former.

2. kevwun

kevwun Member

It could get really ugly if he pitches against the Cardinals.

3. NJRocket

was it him or wandy who got shelled for 9 in the 1st 2 innings vs St L last time?

4. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

This could be interpeted as real bad for Petitte. Hopefully not. Either that or we're showcasing Zeke off for a big trade. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't he out of minor league options? Won't this be #3? Could something be about to get Dunn? :rolleyes: Yes, people, get used to the similiar over used Dunn cliche's until he's traded here or to LA. :(

5. Major

Major Member

This doesn't make any sense. Wandy was sent down to make room for him. If Pettite was hurt, you'd just start Wandy or Backe - they've had plenty of time off. Did we just give up on Wandy?

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Out of options" is a weird term. There is no limit to the number of times a team can send a player up and down. There is a certain number of seasons a player can be shuttled to and from the minors. This is Zeke's first season in the majors; he can be moved up and down as much as we'd like this year.

7. Major

Major Member

Just to be clear - I didn't mean you didn't make any sense, NJRocket, just that the move doesn't seem to make any sense. :)

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Correct me if i'm wrong, but this is how i interpeted the rule:

A player who is still on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man roster or the disabled list is on an optional assignment to the minor leagues. One of the more complicated matters in baseball, options can be simply explained. A player has three years after he is added to the 40-man roster in which he can be sent to the minors without being removed from the roster, these are option years. An option is used every year such a player is sent down unless the player remains in the minors for less than 10 days in each stint. A player "out-of-options" has exhausted his option years. There are many exceptions to this rule however. If a player has not been on the major-league roster during the season during his career, then he can have a fourth option year. Players with at least five years of major-league experience who haven't been optioned to the minors three times may be optioned to the minors and still remain on the 40-man roster, but must give their permission.

http://www.dictionaryofgambling.com/gambling_terms/baseball/o/

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused: Where's the confusion?

10. Buck Turgidson

Wandy got sent down so he could start in the minors & stay on a regular work schedule over the break. He was replaced by Driskill on the 25-man roster.

Doubleheader on the 19th, so the 'Stros need 6 starters this week. Wandy is scheduled to start one of the games on the 19th, so I'd imagine Astacio starts the first game then gets sent down immediately & Wandy gets called up to pitch the 2nd game & stays in the rotation.

Or maybe Pettitte's arm exploded and they're ****ed, but I doubt it.

11. Major

Major Member

That makes sense, but yuck. Another Astacio-Wandy doubleheader? :(

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Zeke has to have a good game, he has incredible stuff, but seems to lose it every now and then.

At Round Rock he is unhittable, he just needs to get the ball down and he will be ok.

DD

13. NJRocket

I hear ya....i didnt realize they sent Wandy down for him....doesn't make much sense at all.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to Astros.com, Astacio will pitch the first game of the double header and then be sent down to make room for Rodriguez to pitch the second game.

15. kevwun

kevwun Member

I don't understand this. Why do they keep bring up Zeke. The league is batting .390 against him. He's gotten hammered in almost every start. He's not ready. If the Astros have to have another rookie doubleheader, why not call up Nieve? He can't do any worse than Zeke.

16. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I agree..for a one time DOuble Header type of deal I'd bring up Nieve or Patton and let them get a taste.

17. NJRocket

agreed...especially vs Pitt

18. msn

msn Member

Why use an option year on Nieve for one or two games?

19. kevwun

kevwun Member

It might not be for 1 or 2 games. Nieve has handled everything the Astros have thrown at him this year. He could end up doing better than Zeke or Wandy this season.

20. msn

msn Member

I hear you. But if I'm the Astros management (and I'm nowhere *near* qualified), I'm probably committed to giving a guy like Nieve more than a "cup of coffee" if it's going to cost me an option year. If he's exposed for the Rule 5, he *will* be taken. See: Santana, Johann and Abreu, Bobby. Also see: that dude who threw a perfect game in A-ball three years ago. He's in someone else's system now and I think has seen the Show once or twice.