1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Bastille Day!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Jul 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Happy Bastille Day from me and my French brothers and sisters to the Americans and assorted others here.

I was in a small town in western France on the bicentennial Bastille Day. There was a festival and at night the whole town lit torches and marched to the church. But, instead of tearing it apart stone by stone (no offense, it's just a Bastille Day thing), we just watched fireworks. But, being part of a huge mob carrying torches was cool. Tonight, I'll probably just have a bottle of French wine.

Maybe a la Rockets will come out of lurk mode?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I read this on the back of a public restroom door in Texas. "Here I
    sit with my buns a'clenchin, giving birth to another Frenchman.

:D

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Happy Bastille Day to you and your compatriots.

4. Fatty FatBastard

To this day, I get pissed off at the French for giving me such a crappy last name.

I mean, a French name is one thing, but then someone decides to make a last name out of raisin farmer? I got screwed.

5. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

fresh baguettes for all!

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

FatBastard is French?

Figures.

7. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Man, I got back to London from Paris five days before the annual parade down at Champs Elysees... but I did not regret coming to Paris one day before the bombs went off at London.

Now I have to watch the internet telecasts for footage of the parade back in Vancouver. I came home just on last Sunday.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

On Bastille Day, do you think there is a discount on Ride Rides in Canada?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does this day acknowledge that our democratic government is older than theirs? :D

10. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

What the heck is Bastille Day?

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it celebrates the French finally winning something! unfortunately, it was against themselves. :(

actually, it's from July 14th, 1789 when the French people stormed the Bastille, which was a prison. i'm pretty sure that started the French Revolution.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Happy Bastille day to you. I was actually thinking about it earlier in the week, and going to post something about you in particular, and I knew there was someone else but I didn't remember the screen name.

Today comes and I never even thought about it being Bastille day. My mind was occupied with a million other things, until I saw something on the news about it.

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

PARIS President Jacques Chirac, upping the stakes in Paris's verbal jousting match with London, said Thursday that the French were better than the British in many domains: They have more children, they spend more on research and they live longer.

Chirac made his feisty remarks in the traditional presidential Bastille Day interview...

http://www.iht.com/bin/print_ipub.php?file=/articles/2005/07/14/news/france.php