1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]According to USA Today, The Best American Band Is...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Toast

Toast Member

Testify!

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

don't put down my man bon jovi. anyone who can write such deep lyrics is okay by me. rock it john:

Misery likes company, I like the way that sounds
    I've been trying to find the meaning, so I can write it down
    Staring out the window, it's such a long way down
    I'd like to jump, but I'm afraid to hit the ground

I can't write a love song the way I feel today
    I can't sing no song of hope, I got nothing to say
    Life is feeling kind of strange, since you went away
    I sing this song to you wherever you are
    As my guitar lies bleeding in my arms

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Where is O-Town?????

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i personally liked stone temple pilots better when they were called Pearl Jam.

5. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Outside of the Beatles and the Stones, I can't really think of any British that do that much for me anymore. I know you adore Pink Floyd, but to me Comfortably Numb is not just a song by PF, it's also an apt description of their music.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BS., Where is Earth Wind & Fire?

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Not even Led Zeppelin, The Cure, Queen, Roxy Music, The Who, Yes, Radiohead, Genesis, and The Smiths, gwayneco? :p ;)

8. Steve_Francis_rules

I probably would have voted for STP. They are up there with Metallica as my favorite bands.

9. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

No Metallica? They chose Guns over Metallica? WTF?

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I have no problem with the first sentence that I quoted, even though I don't agree with it.

But the second sentence.

:rolleyes:

Ow my eyes.

and I like STP.

As far as lists ... pfft. Who gives a **** about lists. They are almost as bad and worthless as award shows.

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Okay, I'm sorry Max, I like you, but I'm 99.9% sure you are talkin' out of your ass on this subject and am sure you don't even own a STP album. 'Cause if you did, you would realize how baseless your statement was. Scott Weiland's voice is deep, and it happens to sound like Vedder. Does that mean he copies him? NO! The Pilots' sound on their debut CD Core, does sound like Pearl Jam -- hmmm, let's think about why that might be? Mayyybe because they were in the same genre of music at the time. And, let's just PRETEND that STP was trying to duplicate PJ's sound on their debut CD Core, that line of thinking ends there because STP has a different overall sound for every album they produced. Core is their hardest album, and neither of their other albums compare to it in terms of number of Grungy songs. So, when you listen to other albums by STP, then you can continue that incorrect arguement, but until then, stop saying they are PJ clones until you actually hear them. And, let's just PRETEND again, that Stone did copy Pearl, they were way better at the craft than the "teacher."

12. rockets-#1

I don't mean how big they were or in terms of albums sold. I mean their sound. They had heavy, arena rocker songs like Zepp, and then they also had softer melodies like Zepp. Led was one of their influences, and they sound a lot like Zepp. One of STP's coolest songs is their cover of Dancing Days - really good.

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

My bad. That's exactly what I thought you meant. I really don't associate their sound much with Led though.

And I agree, STP far surpassed PJ, imo. Vitalogy is the only PJ album I really care for anymore.

14. rockets-#1

:) :D :) :D I'm not laughing, but just have a big smile on my face. I'm glad someone else understands this. So, thank YOU!

15. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

STP had most of the songs that would end up on Core recorded in 1990....the same year Pearl Jam formed after the death of Mother Love Bone's Andy Wood.

16. rockets-#1

Thank YOU, sir! Silence the misinformed haters.

STP #1 band of the 90's! Nirvana, Green Day, and Soundgarden all close, though.

17. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

yea! yea!

#37 UTweezer, Jul 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  18. MadMax

whoa...easy tiger!! quite passionate about this subject, huh?? :)

the first impression i got from STP was, "wow..this sounds exactly like a group that's already selling millions of albums that's happened to be named, Pearl Jam."

as for their body of work...i tend to favor Pearl Jam.

little sidenote though...all of this is my opinion. music isn't objective...it's subjective. it's taste and preference.

19. MadMax

clearly you're speaking out of your ass, because you left out DMB, easily the best band making music in the 90's.

:)

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I would take all three of those bands over STP, dont get me wrong, I like STP but those 3 are all better in my book, but music is all about preference.