1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All things Adam Dunn

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Because that guy hitting .240 also hits a ton of homers, draws a ton of walks and generally does other things that lead to teams scoring runs - which is one of the reasons Cincy has one of the best offenses in the National League.

Adam Dunn is younger than Jason Lane.
    He was born five days after Zeke.
    He's only a few months older than Chris Burke.

He was a bigger prospect than all of them. And unlike them he's proven that he can succeed at the major league level.

What exactly are we giving up that's so fantastic? Everyone raves over Astacio's ability, and he has certainly twirled some gems at Round Rock - but he hasn't done it in the Majors, and he's the same age as Dunn. I think Lane is a better hitter than he's showing - but not in the class of Adam Dunn, and he's several years older. Burke's done well in the minors - but he's roughly the same age as Adam Dunn - and hasn't proven anything at the Major League level..

Yes, we're giving up two starting outfielders - but our outfield is BAD offensively without Lance. In fact, only Lance is a bigger offensive threat than Dunn on this team.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Ensberg?

3. Major

Major Member

However, none of these players were playing in their first full time season at 27. I accept that players may peak in the 3rd to 5th full years in the league... but to say that a player has peaked based on age and not experience is just silly. There's nothing innate in a player's age that changes at 27 - I'd argue its more the case that most good prospects come up at 23 or 24, so 27 is their ~4th full year in the league. I think a player who came in at 21 is much more likely to peak at 27 than a player who started at 26.

Lane has yet to have a full MLB season - and not due to his own performance failures. How anyone can project him to have peaked is beyond me.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Astros would completely rip-off the Reds if they could get a legitimate slugger in his mid 20's for Astacio, Burke and Lane. It should tell you something about Burke that he has been floated in every trade rumor since the winter.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That he's in demand? He's still a 'stro tho, no?

6. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Dunn to Houston almost done?

"Tim Kurkijan says the Reds are in serious trade discussions with the Astros about a deal that would send Adam Dunn and Kent Mercker to the Houston Astros for Fernando Nieve, Ezequiel Astacio, Tyler Buchholz and cash."

...as reported on the AstrosDaily.com message board, which was apparantly seen on ESPNNEWS. I don't like it one bit. Three top pitching prospects for a strikeout machine? Uh-uh.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'd be happy with that, it doesn't really affect the current squad. Minor league players are always a crap shoot, what concerns me about this is it seems the Astros ALWAYS make the wrong decision when it comes to their minor leaguers.

#67 arkoe, Jul 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Hell yes!!! Get it done Purpura.

Three players who have done nothing in the majors for a proven 40+ HR hitter.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Two things:

1.) That deal is the steal of a lifetime. Three unproven pitching prospects - none of them considered elite by anyone but the most diehard of 'Stros fans - for one of the best sluggers in the game, signed for 2.5 more years at only 25 years old?!? Dunn's a better hitter than the Carlos Beltran of last year, he's younger and he's signed long-term. That deal would go down with McGrady for Francis, Cat and Cato as one of the best in Houston sports history.

2.) I don't believe it for a second. This is a rumor that someone posted on the AD board from the MLB.com and ESPN.com message boards, two of the biggest pieces of trash out there. It's essentially a bunch of 14-year-old kids who hear "the Astros have some upper-level minor league pitching available and could be interested in Dunn" and turn that into "Dunn to Houston almost imminent!" If Tim Kurkjian were really saying this, someone with credibility would've heard it... it's not like ESPNNews is some secret network that no one has. Furthermore, if a big name like Dunn were about to be traded and one of ESPN's own had the scoop, it would be all over Sportscenter, ESPN.com, and the rest.

This is typical ESPN message board material... nothing more. I'd love it if it were true, but I'm not holding my breath. Someone at AD just got a little carried away, sadly.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree with The Cat, if would have made headlines here in Houston if it was true. If it is true, I would do it.

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I doubt the Reds would trade Dunn in their own division. I hear the Dodgers are really interested and they may be even more with Drew breaking his wrist.

12. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

It can't be true. Not only because of the blown-up-message-board-rumor thing, but because I don't think Purpura would ever trade three of our best pitching prospects in one deal. I think a deal is much more likely to include Burke or Lane with a pitcher or two; I'm almost positive we won't give up three.

Not saying that I wouldn't, just that I don't think the Astros would. In my opinion, it'd be tough to come out on the losing end of a deal where you pick up Adam Dunn.

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree but the Astros are loaded with good pitching prospects and really have no impact hitters in the minors except Pence.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I call it false for a couple reasons.

1.) It's Taylor, not Tyler Buchholz.

2.) We wouldn't be giving the cash. Dunn+Mercker make several million. We'd be trading 3 guys on minimum level contracts AND be giving the cash.

Also, The Cat, Nieve is pretty highly regarded. I'd probably rather give Burke than him, just because Burke isn't going to have a spot anyway. Dunn-Taveras-Lane is a nice looking outfield.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That guy is always breaking something, always breaking down. Dodgers got Borosed.

16. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

It looks more like someone may have just emailed him a link to a message board.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

He also cannot hit a sac fly and strikes out a ton. He's also pretty slow. Not something you can tolerate well in MMP.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

With a short left field at MMP a slow outfielder is tolerable.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I would expect Dunn to play 1B and move Berkman back into left field. Right now the rumor is Taylor Bucholz, Ezekiel Astacio, and Nieve for Dunn and Mercker. Essentially a very risky move, as one of these guys could turn into a star. With Pettitte and Clemens on the downside of their careers, this could deplete our pitching talent for a long time. If you remember, we had to give up Billy Wagner to get Bucholz and Astacio.