1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coordinated crackdown on Chinese Christians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhester, Jun 20, 2005.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Massive, coordinated crackdown on Chinese Christians
    June 9, 2005

The Voice of the Martyrs

On May 22, during Sunday worship time, police and Public Security Bureau (PSB) officers simultaneously raided approximately 60 house churches in Changchun, the capital city of Jilin province in northeastern China. In the days following, an additional 40 churches in the area were also raided.

More than 600 house church believers and leaders were taken into custody. Most were released after 24 to 48 hours of interrogation, but approximately 100 leaders are still being held in different detention centers.

“This is clearly a major assault on unregistered house churches in Jilin province,” said Todd Nettleton, Director of News Services for The Voice of the Martyrs. “The amount of man-power, coordination and planning involved in raiding 60 church meetings simultaneously shows this effort came from high levels of the Chinese government.”

One church pastor, Zhao Dianru, 58, was arrested May 22 and released Monday, June 6, after 15 days of “administrative detention.” Zhao’s arrest document accused him of “using other means to instigate and disturb social stability,” but did not mention religion or church activities. According to reliable contacts in that area, at least 20 boxes of Christian books were confiscated during the police raids.

VOM sources say that university students, professors and other young intellectuals make up a large portion of the raided house church groups. It's believed this is a coordinated campaign to eliminate house church influence in the university areas. At least three of the arrested church leaders work as professors at Changchun University. The three were also released after 15 days of detention, but are being watched by PSB officers.

China’s new law on religion, the Provisions on Religious Affairs, took effect March 1. Some believed the new law would lead to less restriction on unregistered churches, but these large-scale raids and arrests seem to show otherwise.

The raided house churches are not all part of the same group, and are not affiliated with any of China’s major house church networks. They are independent house churches with thousands of believers who choose not to register their Christian activities with the Communist government.

One church leader who was held for 15 days and then released told VOM contacts that he and the churches he leads had been asked three times in recent months to join the government-sanctioned Three Self Patriotic Movement (TSPM), but had refused. The TSPM is the state-approved Protestant organization. TSPM churches must meet in a government-approved location, have a government-approved church leader, and are prohibited from allowing children under 18 to attend church meetings.

“We urge Christians around the world to protest these illegal detentions,” said Nettleton. “These Christians are NOT a threat to the Chinese government and they have NOT committed a crime. It’s time for China to live up to the commitments and treaties it has signed on religious freedom.”

Letters of protest can be sent to the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC at the following address:
    Ambassador Yang Jiechi
    Embassy of the People’s Republic of China
    2300 Connecticut Ave NW
    Washington DC 20008
    Tel:(202) 328-2500 Fax:(202) 588-0032
    Director of Religious Affairs: (202) 328-2512

Those wishing to write letters of encouragement to imprisoned Chinese Christians can do so at www.prisoneralert.com.

Link

Are we headed for this in America?
    Government control of religion?

I haven't researched this but I don't think these are dangerous cult groups.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Seriously why would you add those questions to something that is a story about the Chinese govt? What has happened in America that has led you to believe that we will realistically have government control of religion?

3. rhester

Sorry forgot to add some comments

As a minister latest IRS regulations for 510 c3 non profit churches is becoming a big issue some of the things I am told cannot be said from a pulpit are:

Criticize government agencies and bureaus--the IRS, FBI, BATF, CIA, EPA, DEA, OSHA, DOJ, etc.

Endorse political candidates.

Criticize an institution of government such as the White House, the Congress, the Federal Reserve Board, or the Supreme Court.

Encourage citizens to call or write their congressman, senator, governor, mayor, or other public official.

Criticize any proposed or pending bill or legislation that would take away the rights and freedoms of the people.

Make disparaging remarks about, or criticize, any other faith group, cult, or religion.

Support or encourage the Second Amendment, the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Discourage young women from getting an abortion, or endorse the pro-life movement.

Identify homosexuality as a sin.

Discuss or identify threats to Christianity.

Discuss subjects or topics the IRS deems "sensationalist."

Publish or broadcast information on any topic without giving credence to the opposing viewpoints.

Highlight or otherwise bring attention to immorality of public officials or corruption in government.

Spend money on missionary projects or charitable causes not approved by the IRS.

This is just my understanding on IRS rules for churches, I may be misinformed so I will try to research some of the material I have received on tax laws and churches.

Please let me emphasize this is the scuttle but I am hearing from ministers and some of it is being taught to us in tax law classes. I will research this a little more. I obviously am nervous about the Patriot Act and Homeland Security.

4. rhester

From the IRS website:

Political Campaign Activity

Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise tax.

Lobbying Activity

In general, no organization may qualify for section 501(c)(3) status if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying). A 501(c)(3) organization may engage in some lobbying, but too much lobbying activity risks loss of tax-exempt status.
    Legislation includes action by Congress, any state legislature, any local council, or similar governing body, with respect to acts, bills, resolutions, or similar items (such as legislative confirmation of appointive office), or by the public in referendum, ballot initiative, constitutional amendment, or similar procedure. It does not include actions by executive, judicial, or administrative bodies.

An organization will be regarded as attempting to influence legislation if it contacts, or urges the public to contact, members or employees of a legislative body for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or if the organization advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation.

I am educating myself right now on some churches under investigation and will report back with more info if anyone is interested.

I don't like the IRS.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it sounds more like the IRS is trying to prevent non-profit religious orgs from getting involved in solely lobbying, not political activity. i don't think is government control of religion but more trying to prevent political groups from exploiting the tax advantaged status of non-profit religious orgs. am i off here?

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Federal Reserve Board is about as federal as Federal Express!

This is the frickin Federal Reserve Banking Corporation.......government institution my ass!

7. Cesar^Geronimo

The IRS isn't telling you what to preach about it's saying that if you collect money tax-free you can't use that money to promote political issues (for either side). I don't believe it is stopping what you do on your own time that is not subsidized by the tax free dollars.

I think that's a good rule (and I am a Christian who donates faithfully to his church).