1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Shop $5 & $10 Sale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yaomania, Jun 12, 2005.

1. UTrocket

UTrocket Member

I've lived in CA for the last 5 yrs and I agree it is very difficult to get decent Rockets gear, even online. Actually it's my opinion that I could design better merchandise that they offer at rocketsshop.com

2. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

Because it's not part of our distribution rights. We only control merchandise within Official Team Shops (like the old one out in Memorial City Mall . . .or the current one at the Toyota Center) . . .and a certain number of very limited outlets (the other one I can think of off the top of my head is the pro shop at Wildcat Golf Club).

Otherwise apparel and licensed merchandise sales are controlled by a combination of the retailer (who orders the product) and the licensee (who produces the product).

I'm not sure what the business model for MLB and/or NFL is - or if it differs from the NBA's - but teams can't just call up retailers and order them to stock product.

3. droxford

droxford Member

I would think that a retailer who sells Astros, Texans, Aggie, and UT caps would, naturally, also wish to sell Rockets caps. And, of course, I would think that the Rockets organization and the NBA (the licensees) marketing and merchandising departments would want their caps to be sold by more than 3 or 4 retailers. And obviously the fans have generated demand for the product. Still doesn't make sense to me.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What would you have the Rockets do? Other than win more games and be more compelling?

If the retailer isn't buying...the retailer isn't buying. And the retailer isn't buying because he perceives those items won't sell. Or at least won't sell as well as other items. He may be a fool. He may be wrong. But none of this has anything to do with the Rockets marketing. They can't demand retailers sell their brand.

5. droxford

droxford Member

I would have the appropriate Rockets people contact the appropriate airport vendors (and other retailers) and say, "what would it take for us to get Rockets caps on your shelves (next to the Astros and Texans caps)?". And do this with other Rockets merchandise.

If the retailer doesn't want to buy, then the Rockets need to provide them with incentives to carry theiry products. It's not very complicated.

And I would have to disagree with you about it having nothing to do with Rockets marketing. Their merchandising and marketing go hand-in-hand. Getting rockets hats, jerseys, shirts, etc. mass-retailed creates direct advertising. People become walking billboards for the Rockets.

6. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

See, that's just it. We do not produce Rockets t-shirts, Rockets caps, Rockets jerseys. (Okay, for all intents in purposes, we don't - I won't get into the whole in-arena vs. 75 mile radius thing and the promotional items because it's not relevant to the discussion regarding distribution of merchandise).

But for the purposes of this arguement, we don't. Reebok produces Rockets jerseys. New Era (and a whole host of other companies) produce Rockets hats. Reebok, Majestic and other apparel manufacturers produce Rockets t-shirts. The only thing the Rockets organization "makes" are promotional items that we hand out inside the arena (and on occasion some things you can only find inside the Rockets shop) because of rights and distribution issues.

As an organization, we can't request retailers to distribute Rockets merchandise for two reasons:

1. We don't actually make any
    2. Even if we did, we don't have the rights to - those rights belong to the NBA licensee.

I agree with you that I'd like to see more Rockets merch out there. But there has also got to be a demand for it from the retailers and ultimately the consumer. Texans stuff sells. Astros stuff sells. Apparently the retailers don't feel that Rockets stuff does as well.*

*Although I see plenty of Rockets racks at Academy, Footlocker, Footaction and Champs.

7. GodzPeepz

GodzPeepz Member

I'm on the website now, and I see NOTHING for the $5 and $10 sale.
    It's 11:33am. Did someone forget to release it or what??????

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

There's a ad for it on the right side of the page. It's not a sale on the online store, it's at the Rockets Team Shop located at the Toyota Center.

9. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Just got back from the sale. It was absolute Chaos. Think some where in between LA riots and a buy one get one free flea market.
    One of the guys working the register "Brian" I think, definately had his handsful trying to answer phones and keep employees in line all while working the register.
    If you havent been dont go, because I assure you either everything is gone or it is not worth your time.
    What a nightmare!

10. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Sounds like fun. Did you get anything?

11. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

They do have some stuff at IAH, in the Continental side between the C terminal and the E terminal or at least they did when I was there last week. I believe the store talked about in this thread is in the B terminal.

12. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

I went during lunch and it was a waste of time. All the t-shirts seemed to be xxl and the hats were hideous.

13. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I got a couple of tee's for myself and for my nephew.

A lot of the stuff was just bad selling items that they wanted to get rid of, but if you got there early there was some pretty cool stuff to be had, although most if not all of it will be phased out next season.
    I was surprised to see the warm ups on sale, I guess we are getting new ones already???
    It was a mad house!!! Very frustrating!!!
    I got there at 11:05 and it was already jam packed, breaking the fire code for sure. People grabbing and grabbing and no one was budging.
    One woman in front of me in line continued to run and grab stuff as the clerk was ringing up her items. :mad:

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

What time where there Gummi? I was one of the first 5 people that walked in there, was actually there waiting about 5-10 mins before it opened.

Scored me some good stuff.

$10 Each
    2XL Yao Allstar Jersey (replica)
    XL Tmac Allstar Jersey (replica)
    fitted hat that showed all of the Rockets logos (wearing it now :) )
    sleveless shirt that the players wear during warmups
    2XL Warmup jacket they wear (more like the jacket Moochie never takes off until we see a blowout)

$5 each
    2 hats, a black one straped with the Logo and the other is a satin like material thats red and grey

Most of the stuff were for females, kids, and babys. They had plenty of hats for $5 a few nice ones for $10. Most of the female baby tees and long sleve shirts were like $5 each. I almost got my gf a shirt that said "I Love Yao" or "I Love TMac" but she would never wear it. :p

Like Gummi said, if u werent there when it opened, everything was probably gone in like a hour. It seemed like it was Black Friday in there :D .

15. utsrinu

utsrinu Member

i got some neat hats for 5 bucks each and a blue t shirt for 10 bucks, well it was more of a thick t shirt I went at 4pm. If yo are xxl or above, go by, there is tons of stuff for you or if you wear a size 8 hat.