1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marko Jaric

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Jun 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

People haven't talked about him much lately, but I think Marko Jaric would be a great acquisiton for us. He's still quite young (turning 27 in December), and, in my opinion, would be fine role player on this team.

Last year for the Clips, Jaric averaged 9.9ppg, 3.2rpg, and 6.1apg, and shot 37% from the 3PT line. With Livingston improving dramatically, I would imagine LA won't be bringing Marko back.

At 6'7, Jaric can play both guard spots, and while he's quite capable of handling the point, I'm inclined to believe that he's a better fit at the 2. He's a bit too slow to guard PGs, but he's really not a bad defender and his long arms help him to get deflections and steals.

Adding Jaric would give us a sharp-passing 2 guard who can hit open three pointers and play solid, if unspectacular defense, as well as handle some point guard responsibilities. He's also very good in the open court. I think he'd be a great signing, especially if we can get him cheap.

Thoughts?

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's gonna get full MLE money. He's pretty good and a versatile player, though nothing fantastic. If we can't get either him or AD in a sign and trade, then forget it. Also, he's constantly injured. How many games did he miss last season?

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jaric really is an under the radar type guy. You are right, not a lot of people are talking about him. What is his worth? I would say somewhere around 4M to the full MLE depending on the team.

But is Jaric a good fit here? Perhaps offensively I can see the fit. He is a good shooter, is smart with the basketball and can drive.

But defensively I dont see the fit. Is Jaric going to be our defensive stopper at the 2 guard spot much like Wesley is now? Is that a good fit?

My gut tells me if JVG was going to use MLE money on a swingman/guard he would look more at someone like Antonio Daniels than he would Jaric for the defensive reason alone.

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

Juric is a horrible defender no matter which position he plays. He is too slow. He has given up over 50% eFG shooting that last two year.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mickael Pietrus gave up 50% eFG this year too. Defense is largely a team concept based on how much help you get (and give).

Jaric creates turnovers on defense and could probably thrive pretty easily in a JVG scheme.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I love it when people want the rockets to sign players who can play 82 games !

... nevermind that the 82 games are spread out over the course of TWO seasons :rolleyes:

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

But he's European, see? That makes him more valuable!

8. We're Back

We're Back Member

No ex-Clippers. Ever. That should be doctrine for all NBA GM's. Even Elgin Baylor.

9. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Yes, especially after the MoT fiasco

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, you wouldn't take Maggette or Brand? Somehow I doubt that.

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Marko "the Hobbit" Jaric is NOT Elton Brand

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think it is just a statistical aberration in Jaric's case - he has competent fellow defenders and shot blockers around him, he is just SO slow that he can't keep his man from getting by him an extremely high proportion of the time - which is a disaster for the Rockets defense in particular.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Guys who can create turnovers are nice, but are wasted here. Our defensive scheme does not gamble on steals.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Hence, why we rank terribly in turnovers. Don't kid yourself. Turnovers are appreciated everywhere. It gives you a chance to score (sometimes easily) and takes away an opponents oppertunity at the same time. It can be real painful for the other team.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

the clips will work to resign jaric at any price we could pay for him.. though I guess he may rather come here than stay there, unless guaranteed the starting 2 job (if simmons leaves and maggette is at the 3)

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which I guess shows TMac's commitment to defense this year.

Sam- Look at Maggette's opposition numbers, hovering between 48-49%. If micah doesn't want Jaric, he sure as hell better not want Bobby Simmons and his 52% eFG% against. By these stats, the guys around him on the perimeter weren't competent.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. It worked out terrible for Phoenix this year. Come on, some good players can come out of anywhere. Atlanta is arguably as bad as the Clippers or worse, but look what Jason Terry did for Dallas?

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

and to the rockets :mad:

as for jaric, i'll pass

19. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

I just don't understand the fascination with this guy. He's a terrible defender who makes bad decisions with the ball,never really shoots that great of a percentage and seems rather soft overall.

I've watched the guy play quite a bit and I don't get the hype, if you have a good team what does this guy really offer you?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

no, but they were better than he was - he gives slightly more points than they do, at a slightly higher percentage, and his man usually gets a boatload of assists. Even if his teammates don't help - he is the weak link and the one that the opposition goes after.

But, I'm not basing this all on stats, although his stink. I've seen the guy play and unintentionally noticed how bad he is; he gets blown by all the time, seemingly due to lack of quickness- he is frozen molasses.