1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Rocket Profile: Jay Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 24, 2005.

1. fanping

fanping Contributing Member

let's also get Dunleavy, we will have top 3 pick of 2002 class

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

If not for the accident, I'd be onboard with this move but now, it's simply too risky. To me, he's a bigger longshot than Spanoulis. Even if he does manage to come back, it could be 2 or 3 years before he's physically able to handle the rigors of the NBA and that's time the Rockets just don't have to give. Plus, he'll be in a conference where he's expected to match up with Tony Parker, Devon Harris, Steve Nash and that's the kiss of death for this idea AFAIK.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

He would have to be near his pre-injury form and destroying people in practice to consider the 1.7 exemption. I'd much rather target a proven servicable NBA player like Raja Bell with that.

I still like no Worries' strategy as it balances risk rewards. The scenario you say is true for any non-1st round pick. Sure there is an off chance the player takes the league by storm (e.g., Gil Arenas, Manu, Boozer), but most cases the Early Bird would be enough to protect unexpected surprises (Cat Mobley, Marquis Daniels, Cardinal, even Michael Redd). Further, if JW WAS that good those 2 years to make the Early Bird/MLE level of of play at least we got a borderline all-star for cheap for two years.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If he is healthy and affordable, why not give him a shot.

5. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

The only way i would sign him is if the rockets had the ability to lock him up if they did strike gold if he pans out. There's nothing more dissapointing than taking a chance on him and then somebody else getting the payoff.

6. We're Back

We're Back Member

he wasn't very good before, honsetly. y'all are crazy

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Low risk, high reward in Jay Williams. Give the guy a workout and see what he can do. Nobody's expecting him to come in and log 35 minutes a night. If he can give a solid boost off the bench, then we've got a bargain. Probably won't cost more than a 2 yr. $2.5 million contract.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

On one leg he is better than Moochie.

Sign him up.....

DD

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

True, but I sincerely hope our bar for point guard signings this offseason is not "Is he better than Mooch?"

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He was a bust when he was healthy and you want him to play for the Rox now. We need to make this team better not worse.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

He wasn't a franchise player in his ROOKIE year, but he was far from a bust.

Besides, the rox need to sign their annual Charlie Ward.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Point guard is a tough position to play ... look at Steve Nash's first 3-4 years in the league, particularly his first 2 in Dallas playing good minutes (more than Jay Williams did as a rookie). No way does Williams' rookie numbers say bust.

Now is he worth pursuing? I really don't know that. I personally don't think JVG will go that route, but the workouts will tell all.

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

For a guy to get to even where he is now after what happened shows a hell of a lot of heart. That's worth something in my opinion.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'll pass on this one.....

We need to get some actual athletes on this roster. Jay or Jason or whatever the hell he wants to be called USED to be real quick & explosive---I really doubt he'll be able to regain those abilities to the point where he could be effective again.

Even though I despise Duke, I do wish him the best. He was nothing short of a complete bonehead for the situation in the 1st place, but I do admire his heart and determination to get back on the court. At the same time though, I don't think I would be able to stand everybody constantly slobbing him off. He would easily be the most popular player on the team that wouldn't play.

I'd rather to a chance on acquiring a 2nd round pick and going after John Gilchrist, Nate Robinson or Salim Stoudamire. Gilchrist especially, I believe is being severely overlooked.

15. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Hey guys!!

This is from ESPN Insider---

Warning-its by Chad Ford

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/...?id=2039748&month=jun#June6,200512:58:43PMPDT

Jay Williams on the comeback trail
    NBA teams, take note.

The surprise at ATTACK Athletics on Monday was former Bulls point guard Jay Williams. He held his own against two of the fastest guys in the draft, Raymond Felton and Dee Brown. His shot is better than ever. He's cutting and jumping. He went full steam for an entire hour with Felton and Brown and looked just fine.

Williams said after the workout that everything is coming back to him and he's hoping to be in an NBA training camp this fall. Grover concurred, asserting that if things go according to schedule, Williams will be ready to play next season.

That's amazing progress for a guy who's been playing basketball full-time for only six weeks.

"Right now it's more mental that physical," Williams said. "I'm still not secure in myself. The doctors have cleared me to play. Now it's about getting back the confidence I need to be a great player. When I think about it, I sometimes doubt. However, when I'm going one-on-one with Dee Brown, my basketball instincts kick in and I play just fine."

"I don't want to come back and be an average player. I know some people think that it would still be great if I did that. I know I could do that right now. But that's not what I'm trying to do. I want to be an All-Star and play at an All-Star level."

Williams said he has a handshake deal with the Bulls to give them the right of first refusal after seeing him work out. He doesn't think it's likely that they'll sign him, however, with Kirk Hinrich and Ben Gordon thriving in Chicago. If Chicago is not an option, he's hoping to land with a veteran team with title aspirations, such as the Spurs, Pacers or Timberwolves.

It remains to be seen whether he'll ever get back to his old self. But he's on the right path.

posted: June 6, 2005 12:58:43 PM PDT |

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sign him now...2 year deal for 3 million...why not?

DD

17. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Absolutely! 1.5 million isn't really a big deal, considering millions of $ paid to Weather-1 minute in playoff-Spoon.

18. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Clutch,

I agree with most of what you said, but if Chris Mullin was a poor man's Larry Bird, "Jay" Williams is a poor man's Steve Francis.

-P1st, S2nd (or fifth...hell, passing the ball is FUN)

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

Why would he want to go to a veteran team looking for a title? I would think he would want a team where he could get playing time so he could prove he is back and then get a big contract.

20. jkg123

jkg123 Member

If Chicago is not an option, he's hoping to land with a veteran team with title aspirations, such as the Spurs, Pacers or Timberwolves.

Timberwolves?? Since when does a team who didnt make the playoffs become a title contender???