1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuttino Mobely on Best Damn Sports Show

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigermission1, May 20, 2005.

1. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I would love to have Cat back but he would hve to fit in the system. I think Cat would be a great addition, but he may have to sacrifice some of his offensive game to come here (meaning T-Mac and Yao are the first 2 options).

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Excellent post GATER, and exactly my sentiments

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cat would be taking shots from Wesley and Sura and not tmac and Yao. Yao actually took less shots last season than the seaon he was with Mobley and Francis. So to think Cat would be taking anything away from Yao and Tmac is just stupid. Now if I were given the option of letting Cat take a shot versus Wesley and Sura. I would definitely pick Cat. He is would be the third option and wouldn't be scared to take the open look.

He would also be the best defender behind Tmac and could take on the hardest defensive assignment so Tmac can save his energy for offense and playmaking.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Maybe so. I'm not advocating him coming back. But when you read the statement that he made about Van Gundy and the Rockets offense at the beginning of the season, you have to acknowledge he was dead on. If Van Gundy hadn't loosened up the reins on McGrady after their one on one chat and let McGrady have his head on the offensive side of the floor, we would have never got to where we went to this year. Van Gundy made adjustments in that area of his coaching..............and he is a better coach for it. Cat was dead on right.

Van Gundy was right about ball movement but you have to remember that McGrady is dribble driving as the superstar of this team and creating a lot of the ball movement because of his mismatches and double teams. Steve didn't draw the double often enough, early enough in the shot clock to allow us a lot of ball movement. That didn't have a whole lot to do with what Cat was or wasn't doing. Steve did the majority of the dribbling on last year's team. That compounded Cat's problems and helped Cat to stay attached to the ball longer than he needed to because he probably wasn't going to get it back very often.

As to what happened in Sacramento, he was traded twice in less than 12 months. I think Cat was probably thinking more selfishly in Sacramento, in hopes of running up his stats and getting a bigger check. It may or may not have worked for him. Looks like from at least our perspective that it probably didn't.

All I'm saying is we should take his remarks with balance and understand what he was saying was true about Van Gundy at the time. And we should also consider that many "selfish" players change their stripes when they are placed in an obvious "winning" situation and become great teammates. Those are typically the players that are available because they have a high talent level, have gotten a high dollar contract, and then have been placed in a losing situation and not lived up to expectations. They are second tier stars, not able to carry a team, such as Pippen, Rasheed, etc. that when placed in a winning situation where they no long have to carry a team, they excel. Players like Cat, Darius Miles, and dare I say Sprewell fit that category. They need a strong team and a secondary role to flourish.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Bingo. The only feasible way to get Cat would be a sign and trade involving Wesley + Fillers + pick(s). You're right on with the defending part too...save some energy for T-Mac on offense and late in games and you can go ahead and ring up a top 3 finish in the mvp race, and probably a top 4 seed.

BTW, anybody got a recap of what he said on the show?

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Not much man, he was having a hard time speaking for some odd reason, he was having a hard time expressing himself, speech impairment is a b****!;)

I was really surprised how bad the segment was, Cat just kept babbling on and on in an incoherent manner, and all he said basically was that he is opting out to get more money (more than $5 mill per, which I tell him "good luck" with, I don't think he is worth more than that in such a diverse pool of SG this off season, his market value will fall because of all the competition).

He was also questioned about the two trades in the last year, and he mentioned something about GMs and owners that promise not to trade you and still do, and then he was asked if that was what happened in Houston, and he said "No, no, no man!".

So that's a recap right there. On a sidenote, dude needs to stop shopping at the damn GAP and get himself some nice Rocawear or Sean John:rolleyes: