1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana use

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Francis3422, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If we legalize all drugs can we discriminate
    against the users? Cause I don't know if I
    want a KNOWN CrackHead as by Doctor

If they legalize it. . . I would hope there
    would be a matter of public record for my protection

Rocket River

------------------

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

river,

How do you know your doctor is not a crack head now? Do you really think that just because it is legalized, the doctor will want to do it?

Yeah, I smoked back in the day...but I grew out of it. Most of it was my freshman-early sophomore years of high school. Last time was junior year when I made a horrible mistake -- smoked after having taken heavy prescription mediaction...I thought I was going to die. I was already losing interest, so that just became my last experience.

------------------
    Take an object.
    Do something to it.
    Do something else to it.
    " " " " "

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

And what about alcohol? How do you know your surgeon isn't an alcoholic?

Or addicted to perscription drugs. I once knew a physician who stole drugs from the hospital pharmacy to feed his habit. He was eventually caught and arrested, but he was doing this for a long time before getting caught.

I don't want my doctor to be addicted to drugs, but whether or not drugs are legalized will likely have little effect on whether my doctor is a drug addict.

That said, I'm not really in favor of legalizing drugs across the board. I'm in favor of changing the way we punish drug abusers who end up having run-ins with the law. In most cases, incarceration is probably not the answer. Treatment would likely work better and probably prevent future drug-related crimes by the individual who receives the treatment (not always because treatment doesn't help everyone). And we'd ease prison overcrowding and allow more room to keep the actual criminals locked up.

I'd also probably support easing of restrictions on industrial hemp. To me, the problem is always one of demand rather than supply. Cutting down someone's pot field isn't going to decrease the number of mar1juana smokers. People will just get their pot from somewhere else. Since preventing people from growing pot doesn't do much of anything, we might as well explore any benefits that hemp can provide (though Cecil kind of puts a damper on the "mircle benefits" angle here: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_131.html ).

As for the original question, I've never done drugs. I don't know why. I guess I just never thought to try. It never appealed to me (I don't drink or smoke tobacco, either. Those things didn't appeal to me, either). Deep down, I'm a big nerd, so that's probably what kept me away.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I like to smoke. I have never been much of a drinker regardless of what DoD says. Occassionally, for a few Rocket games, I will drink but since I'm such a lightweight I can't down near as many as my drinker friends. The way I see it is this. They like to get all liquored up and act like drunken morons. I like to smoke and be at peace while listening to them act like drunken morons. They also smoke cigarettes, too.

Besides that, in moderation...it is something that is relaxing, fun, and makes you one with nature. I am not the type of guy to sit around all day long and just do that all day long. I am very active physically, have a good job, and like to get out. If you find you do nothing but hibernate on it, then I don't think its for you. If you don't like it, then that's great. If you grew out of it because of lack of desire, then that's fine too. But, don't sit there and stigmatize all people who smoke as hermit, sofa-driven, band playing, woodstock lovin, hippe wannabe, jobless airheads who don't know any better because I have similar thoughts about people who get drunk every night and slur their words like they never learned the English language correctly [​IMG].

Surf

------------------

5. Summer Song Giver

nope never [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

[This message has been edited by Summer Song Giver (edited February 21, 2001).]

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

ScreamingRocketJet:
    I hear you bro. I went through a break up and all of the following depression that came with it. The girl who was my first love just ripped out my heart and stomped on it. I let the weed use me, instead of the other way around.

I've always said I'm very fortunate that none of my friends were anything other than pot heads, because who knows where I'd be now if they were into anything heavier.

Pot CAN be downright dangerous when you're at a low period in your life. Everything my buddies and I did centered around when we got our next sack. After awhile, I finally got a hold of myself. It was hard to do, but I did it. I went from stoned 24/7 to smoking at night, when I had taken care of all my responsibilities throughout the day and done all of my homework.

Now, like I said above, the desire is just gone. I suppose I've just grown out of it. Since getting out of college, I've taken a much more health-oriented stance for my life. I'm running and working out again, and I've managed to quit smoking cigarettes. To top it off, I actually count calories now and watch what I eat.

As for my buds (my friends, that is [​IMG]), they've all grown up as well. They're all married and out of school with good jobs.

We do reminisce about "Back in the day." We had a hell of a lot of irresponsible fun back then. We might miss the occasional stoner fest of movies like Dazed and Confused, Half-Baked, and Reefer Madness, topped off with hours of NBA Jam on the SNES while sucking on our 4 hose hooka, but we don't do anything about it.

------------------
    "We got f*cking smashed every day. And then when we came here to Beverly Hills, we had drugs, we had chicks, we had orgies. I thought I'd died and gone to f*cking Rome"
    ---Ozzy Osbourne, on the early days of Black Sabbath

7. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I smoked it four times in college.

Or maybe five.

I can't remember.

Anyway, each time I did it, I found it less and less enjoyable. After the last time, I decided that since I didn't enjoy it, I shouldn't it do it.

And since that day, I haven't smoked pot, filed taxes, or obeyed the speed limit.

PS: SummerSongGiver, I didn't think from your name you smoked. I thought you were Joe Satriani.

------------------
    I take her to the aquarium, she says shark,

I take her to the planetarium, she says dark.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited February 21, 2001).]

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

i could not have written it better turbo!

LEGALIZE mar1juana: GIVE COPS SOMETHING ELSE TO DO LIKE SERVE AND PROTECT!

------------------
    May I have another Snowball Clutch? Please may I? Ill be a good little mole.... I promise.

9. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

During my Sophomore & Junior years in high school I'd get blown just about every weekend with my friends. Gosh those were the days! Not a care in the world! High School was such a joke. Some people I know still smoke pot and they're pathetic losers! Not to say that all dope smokers are losers. I'd frequent the grass on occasion if I didn't have to worry about drug tests in the future. Actually I probably wouldn't because it's not the lifestyle that I've become comfortable with.

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

[This message has been edited by Frank Black (edited February 22, 2001).]

10. RENDIGGLER3:20

ScreamingRocketJet,I have the same problem now!I am an every day user and if I dont have any I dont even like to talk to people,I just hate and b**** at every little thing!I wouldnt say I was addicted,becuase I could quit right now if wanted to but I dont [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the why in the Hell isnt Langhi playing club!!!

11. ScreamingRocketJet

Lynus...can relate mate. That's the thing with pot, it makes your highs great...but it makes your lows really low. That's the dangerous part.

Yep...we had all those snes and sega days! Also plenty of cartoons and really crap movies. That's the one thing I miss...cartoons seem pretty bland nowadays and crap movies really suck. I used to see a crap movie stoned and LOVE it...now I come out of a crap movie and always think "would have been cool if I was wasted"...lol. Horror films also were heaps cool.

Rendiggler...you'll give it up when the time is right, just let it happen. The moods aren't cool but mate. Serious stoners are pretty hard people to be around...****ty all the time, forgetting to turn up to things etc etc..so go easy:)

------------------

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Hmmmmm....got any single girlfriends that share your beliefs???? [​IMG]

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

[This message has been edited by RocketMan Tex (edited February 22, 2001).]

13. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i think that i like weed...but you know an ounce of good stuff you know what i am talking about.. can go for as much as 420 dollars..i believe that is more than gold for its weight...

there was a time when i smoked so much that i almost didnt get a buzz...thats what i call the 'smokers wall'...then i began to again get a buzz again..weird..its a stupid drug really but can be enjoyable..i think it heightens sex..

if you are highly opposed you would be very suprised at the amount of professors lawyers doctors (met a helicopter pilot) that smoke often anyway that doesnt make it better but shows that is more widely used than thought..

i find it funny that some females think of it in the same context as heroin...i can understand the mentality so you have a lot of men that smoke secretly..

its a shame that the weed is not legalized but it is a form of taxation for it to be illegal....think of all the money that people can leech..the lawyers..the tow truck driver..the drug education class..the court costs..thats all i can think of right now...

i had 3 grams..that equals like 3 joints..anyway one time harassed then i was taken to jail paid thousands of dollars and lawyers the gov't and all the other leeches along the way got their money...its a joke then the judge said 'dont smoke pot' and that was it..wow...

if you have money in this country you can do anything...look at OJ..anyway thats another thread..

so be cool..keep it on the down low and believe me they can smell it even if you have a bunch of cologne on..dont let it affect your motivation...thats the worst thing about it...you muxt saty motivated or you will end up being a jacka$$ with no job..hustling just to smoke a little reefer eat cheetos on your a$$ and gain 55 lbs...let me tell you the women really dig that..

remember also its not cool to smoke..smoke because you like it..

------------------
    "no matter how good she looks someone... somewhere..is tired of her sh*t"

14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Lynus................LOL [​IMG]

------------------

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Cool story, Lynus. I hope to duplicate it some day. You must have looked like a martian from hell with those red eyes. Good thing you didn't eat any space cakes or you would have really, really been lost. What type of bud was it if I might ask [​IMG]?

Surf

------------------

16. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

17. Lynus302

Neither one of ya'll is going to Amsterdam without me, dammit.

As for what kind of bud it was, I was never really sure. I asked for a menu and they showed all of the various kinds of hashish, various kinds of pot, and pre-rolled joints

A side note about those joints:
    ***The damn things were HUGE. It really was shaped like a baseball bat and was beautifully rolled. Not those nasty looking shriveled up things we Americans call joints. And it was so long it didn't fit into my pack of Marlboro 100s(!) until I smoked about a 1/4 of it.***

I bought a pre-rolled, 100% mar1juana joint (versus 50% tobacco, 50% weed). I didn't ask for anything special, just a joint. I didn't want any hash or loose pot because I can't roll for **** (they would have laughed at my pathetic attempts anyway) and pipes were never my thing. The menu listed all the varieties, but the pre-rolled were either 50%-50% or 100% mar1juana. I would have been more adventurous had I been there with friends.

------------------
    "We got f*cking smashed every day. And then when we came here to Beverly Hills, we had drugs, we had chicks, we had orgies. I thought I'd died and gone to f*cking Rome"

[This message has been edited by Lynus302 (edited February 23, 2001).]

18. Lynus302

Damn, how many times have I had that thought? Getting stoned made stupid movies (and Disney movies) really fun. Remember in Aladdin when Jabbar turned into that huge red genie with the planets flying all around him?? That was so cool to see stoned.

Here is a little tale:
    I went to Amsterdam a few years ago. Anyone familiar with the Val Halen song Amsterdam? One of the first lines in the song is "...quick stop by the Bulldog..." Well, I found the Bulldog, and I got absolutely baked in there in honor of one of the best bands of all time.

The Bulldog is located in the middle of the Red Light District, right down the street from the Oude Kirk (the Old Church)

[[***A quick side note: I know what you all are thinking, so just stop it. Going to Amsterdam and NOT going to the Red Light District is like going to NY and not seeing the Statue of Liberty or something of equal importance. I am above paying for sex. Not very far above it mind you, but above it nonetheless.***]]

To continue, I was there by myself [​IMG] , but I made the best of it anyway. I was sitting there smoking a joint the size of a baseball bat and before I knew it, my whole body was buzzing. I actually felt like I was vibrating, and I was getting some really cool tracers.

Then the paranoia hit me like nothing I had ever experienced. I put out my J, of which I had smoked about half. I put it in my pack of smokes and drank my coffee and smoked a cigarette and managed to calm down. I was listening to all of these people speaking Dutch and totally tripping out because I was convinced that everyone was talking about me and my stoned American ass sitting at the bar. It was getting fairly late, and I was in a foreign country, so I figured I'd leave and have a look around before heading back to my hotel.

So I walked around, checking out the chicks. I couldn't believe the girls for sale. Maybe it was a good time of year or something, but I was simply amazed at how beautiful many of them were, as I tend to be very picky.

I did that for awhile....stopping once or twice for a beer or a cup of coffee. People were all over the place and really friendly. African men would walk past mumbling "coke, LSD, XTC, coke, LSD, XTC." They wouldn't bother me, just offering their stuff should I decide to stop them (NOT my thing).

I continued on my journey, completely stoned. I was an experienced pot head at this point in my life, and I had never been higher. All the old buildings, churches, etc looked SO cool. The whole experience was just unreal.

Before I knew it, I was SO lost. I happened to find a tourist information center out of pure luck. I went inside and the fluorescent lights just killed me. It was SO damn bright in that freaking place. At that point, I could actually feel how red my eyes were. I made my way over to some lady at a desk to ask where my hotel was.

She asked me the name of my hotel. I couldn't remember my hotel's name or anything my hotel was near!

My brain absolutely refused to recall any information. My hotel was across the street from the palace (actually government buildings), and also across from the New Church, and right next door to a huge shopping center called the Magna Plaza. It was also like a half mile down the street from central station and I couldn't remember any of this ****.

This poor woman. She gave me a look that looked remarkably like that of a person who had previous experience dealing with f*cked up Americans. She said something that sparked some memory somewhere, and it all came flooding back. Turns out my hotel was right down the street.

After I figured out where the hell I was, I continued to look around, though I stayed CLOSE. I was still completely stoned. I finally went back to my room and watched European MTV for an hour or so.

I did the same thing (more or less) every night while I was there. I also did all of the cultural-tourist stuff. I went to the Heineiken brewery where they just about get you drunk at the end and I did a bunch of other stuff.

Moral of the story: If you go to Amsterdam, write down the name of your freaking hotel.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lynus302 (edited February 22, 2001).]