1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which ONE player should the Rockets be targeting this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, May 10, 2005.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Because a MLE is way under market for SAR and there are some teams (e.g., Cleveland, Milwalkee) that could just go snatch him. We roll out the red carpet, get SAR to want to play for us, than Portland take a modest compensation to complete the S&T (expiring contract, couple picks). It is a win-win all around. I think the Heat (with Haslem and all ready a fined tuned team) and Spurs (Duncan and ditto) make much less sense for SAR and vuce versa.

Swift I view a S&T as more risky (he isn't as proven as a legit 4) and less plasuble, plus I think the last thing is Memphis would want him in Houston. If I am Memphis I tell Swift I will facilliatate a deal anywhere you want to go, as long as it isn't in Texas. Unlike SAR, this is Swift's first big contract and all things considered would not take millions less per year to sign with a better team. For Swift I have no problem offering the full MLE 6/37 mil, but it will depend on other offers, right now it is a long shot (longer than SAR IMO) but worth exploring.

While Simmons is not gettable (will got for more than the MLE I am fairly sure), combos or two guards like Daniels or Mobley or Spree or Raja Bell or McInnis or Kittles we could consider with some or most of the MLE IF we did a S&T for our PF. Of these I like Daniels and Bell as compliments to our other guards and as role players, but neither is worth a full MLE, maybe 60% of one for 3-4 years, and again only after we have addressed our 4 need.

#121 Desert Scar, May 13, 2005
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
  2. Desert Scar

I just disagree. An MLE signing, even a bad one, doesn't kill you. Brent Barry has been a disappointment, he not even been as good as John Barry for more than double the cost. But he has not killed the Spurs and won't kill the Spurs. A 6 year 37 mil deal for Swift or a little more for SAR is not mortgaging our future, and I would only do a deal for DM for 4 years and Evans 3 years unless they start at below the full MLE. What is nice is we do have alternatives, if the player demands are out of whack in years/total dollars, we have plan B,C,D. We are the 1st or 2nd best team in the league with a wide open 4 spot--that should be attractive for this player given close dollars, we don't settle for something that isn't a win for us and for the player.

We are not going to be under the cap as long as Tmac and Yao are on the team. This is pretty much a reality. We also are going to bad draft picks, flyer 20somethings at best. The MLE, the 1.6 mil exemption--those are the ways you add modest contributing pieces (role players) around your stars. That is the way the best teams have to improve or stay aflout. The Lakers in their prime added Fox one year, Horry another, Samake another. Three of the two worked out, it was all fine. Detriot added McDyess, he has been fine for them. All the Spurs are going to do from here on out is use the MLE too--like Brent Barry last year.

Like I said I think the fact SAR, Swift, DM and Evans all may be "in play" for an MLE say it is a good year for adding a 4. Last year all that got was a look at Etan Thomas and that was still matched. It is a good year to add these fourss because you have younger or even more talented bigs out there (Chadler, Curry, Dalembert, Kwame) and well as other stars (JJ, Redd, Allen, Z) or borderline stars (Simmons, Radmon, Walker), and few teams under the cap.

Finally, Tmac and Yao are close to their prime, don't waste a year having another donut at the 4 spot and then find slimmer pickens next year. We don't need SAR, Swift, DM or Evans to be our superstar--just our Fox or Horry, good enough players to keep opponents honest.

As for Walton, I'd consider the 1.6 mil exemption for him (2 years/3.3) but I really don't think he helps our 4 spot or our athleticsm in the wings--our two main needs. He would make more sense for someone like Miami or Washington or Chicago that has the athleticism in abundence but could use the extra smart point forward type off the bench.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What Walton would add is the ability to get the ball into the post,shoot the 3, and basketball IQ. He would be our best entry passer from day one if he were on our team. Swapping Padgett out for him would be a plus.

4. magyuan

magyuan Member

Sarunas Jasikevicious:cool:

5. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Wasn't there some talk a few weeks back about Jay Williams wanting to come back to the NBa and Houston being it's prime target?...

ALA

6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want Van Chancellor. He can "carry thuh bawl to da hole" and "shewt thuh 3 bawl". Just ask Little Nikko, he's had his 3rd grade a$$ handed to him a couple of times by grand-daddy in the driveway.

"Make a move Grand-daddy". Van makes his patented fake left go right, stop on a dime, fade away 3 pointer in little Nicko's face then does the Rocket's new 3 point hand gesture to the other 3rd graders watching the game.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

:D

8. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I understand your point but that does not change the fact that SAR is an unrestricted free agent. When was the last time an UFA went the way of sign & trade?

Maybe I am having a brain lull but UFA "cannot" go the route of S&T. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

MLE is arguably under SAR value but have you stopped to look and see that the market for him is relatively very small save for the MLE route? Not many teams have the money to give much over the full MLE and the ones who do logically do not need him. And most of the ones that have the money are "loser" and SAR has hinted that he would like to win.

In all it comes down to SAR chosing the team he would like to be with - neither S&T nor money lure will likely play a big part in landing him.

9. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

could we sign SAR for a year for only the middle level... and then resign him again for more later?

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Noted and done.

This past offseason. Dampier to Dallas this offseason. Stephen Jackson to Indiana. Brad Miller to Sacramento the year before. Other cases like Derek Anderson a few years back.

11. Desert Scar

You missed a critical part. Walton can't shoot the 3 with any competency. I have watched him many years now, and he has gotten some better, but trust me, he will never be the 3 shooter Padget is. He does handle the ball well and have a high BB IQ, but his lack of range and consistency on his jumper and lack of athleticsm for a forward will keep him from being a servicable starter or 6th man. He might be OK as the 7th or 8th man for the right team (team with lots of athleticsm but could use a guy off the bench to get their head on strait)--but I don't think were are that team.

I don't think there are any prohibitions against it.
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
    Further, were not Stephen Jackson and Erick Dampier last year URFA who were signed and traded so they could make more than the MLE?

Of the teams under the cap I am not worried about Atl, Charlotte, NO, Clips or Seattle--as they either need to go younger, cheaper, more upside, or take care of their own first. But if I am Cleveland or Milwalkee I would not hestitate to offer SAR 6 for 40 mil--that would be a steal for a PF of his caliber and age at just over the MLE (6/37 mil). I just don't fathom SAR only getting the MLE--unless he is willing to turn down a lot of money (very rare for players) and Portland flat out won't deal.

That is why I say be proactive and talk to SAR/agent and Portland, and work something out. I think Spoon + picks (say 1st rounder + NY 2nd) for SAR signed at like 6/48 is fair to all parties and worthwhile. Would Portland take on the extra salary of Spoon 1 year (6+mil) for a late 1st and early 2nd or rather lose SAR for nada? I think they take the picks.

12. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

Totally agree.

13. Desert Scar

The normal strategy would be a 3 year deal so then we would have his full Bird Rights.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even further-
    Jackson was scarcely signed above MLE. Full MLE was 6 years, 36.77 mill. He signed a 6 year, $38 million dollar deal.

Indiana just wanted to give Harrington away basically, for cap reasons.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Thanks Desert Scar and Nikestrad for the education.

Common Draft day and FA.

16. paul g

paul g Contributing Member

I dont know what everybody sees in Tyson Chandler. He seems awkward almost like a M. Olowokandi type.Offense doesnt seem too good.
    I am all for Bobby Simmons and Dalembert as additions.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, definitely. That Dalembert, now there is a well oiled offensive machine. :rolleyes:

18. osa420

osa420 Contributing Member

What I think should be the #1 issue this off season is to find someone to rebound well. I don't care if he will score or not. Rox really need someone to get boards, and knock the small guys down who try to enter the lane(Dallas). I honestly haven't done any research to tell you which player will fit that mold. But, rebounding has the be a big part to fix this off season. Jason Kidd would be a nice acquisition, but I don't think we need to overboard for an aging pg.

19. osa420

osa420 Contributing Member

20. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

(1) An MLE signing, even a bad one, DOES kill you. It takes 6mil of those precious cap dollars out of the picture. Do that a couple of years in a row and you have a real problem, similar to ours.

(2) It is not exactly wide open, we do have JHo. He had the worst year of his carreer by almost half this year, and that is not a good omen for a player like SAR. If we do sign someone, he should be a change of pace like REvans that rebounds and fits into the defense. Since JVG runs a team defense he doesn't have to be a Ben Wallace.

(3) We all but dismantled our team last year. The teams you named were just tweaking, we need more than a tweak. We have 4 2's, 5 4's, 1 3 and 2 5's plus 3IL. That is pretty unbalanced especially since neither one of our 5's can play more than 30 min, none of the 2's can make an entry pass. TMac said it all when waived off MJ and brought the ball upcourt himself furing the playoffs.

(4) I am not that fond of the second tier 4's and we can't afford 1st tier 4's so spend the money on another need like Simmons. Play
    him at whichever position Tmac isn't in. Give the 1.6 to Luke to back them up along with JonB. I guess I would rather have a good 2/3 than another mediocre 4.

(5) Tmac and Yao are close to their prime and we can not afford bad moves at this time that we live with for 5-6 more years. We panicked when Hakeem came to the end and we are still paying those bills (Cato, MoT, Mooch, that guard we just quit paying that hasn't played in 4 years.)

(6) Sounds about right.