1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bagwell goes on 15 day DL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by pgabriel, May 10, 2005.

1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Get well Bags.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Todd Self is a very solid player. He does have some power (.565 SLG). I've seen him at Round Rock 2 years in a row now. He can hit and get on base (.491 OBP). He's a solid defensive player at 1B and in the OF. He's got a pretty good arm for a corner OF. I expected Coolbaugh or Carlos Rivera to get the call. Rivera is having a nice season and is a lefty as well.

#22 leroy, May 10, 2005
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

It's time to trade a pitching prospect for a hitting prospect. I suggest Bucholtz or Astacio for a nice bat. That is unless the Astros have already given up on the season. But i still don't see any sluggers in the minors that make me look twice.

Hopefully, Bagwell will bow out or at least let us buy him out so we can pick up a couple free agents this off season. I heard on ESPN that he's going to eventually need shoulder replacement. In today's era, we could get 2 real good sluggers for the price Bagwell makes per year. Get Clemens to come back next year and were an instant contender again.

4. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

i think this is code for ........err....... bagwell has been terminated.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Damn, Bags is one of my favorite players. I'd hate to see him go out like this. :(

Get well Baggy. Hope to see you playing soon.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Going to be wierd to not hear "JEFF BAGWELL!" from the voice of God at MMP. :(

7. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I am impress and sadden with Bags b/c the way he is slowly leaving the game. By his injury you know left everything on the field and gave it his all. I don't feel cheated nor should he.
    He is my favorite all time Astro.

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Jeff is my all time favorite too,its going to be a sad day the day he retires.I hope then he will finally be appreciated for all he has done for this franchise.Bags we will miss you ...get well soon so you can finish with the class you have always brought to the franchise.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I love bags and will buy his jersey, however, it sad, but true, he's done...

He is a liability...Berkman, with his bum knee is your first baseman...

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've been wrong about a lot of things in baseball...the "rightest" I've been was when I told friends in high school that Jeff Bagwell would end up being the greatest position player to ever wear an Astros jersey. He was not my favorite player. But he was so dependable for so long.

1994 was absolutely amazing. I was at a game where he hit 3 homers in the Dome...2 in the same inning. He fielded the position very, very well. Hit for average and power. And ran the bases with so much intelligence. Never caused a problem off the field. Was so nice seeing him have so much success in the playoffs last season, especially against the Braves.

I am sad to see him go...and I think this is the end. But it is inevitable. We were fortunate enough to get to see the guy play his entire career here.

11. msn

msn Member

Kudos to the Greatest Astro Ever, and thanks for the memories. Here's hoping he gets his due entry into the Hall of Fame in a timely manner (not first ballot, but not VC).

12. deepellumrocket

I was at that game. One of the homeruns was caught by the guy sitting right in front of me. He caught it on the fly with his bare hands.

13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I honestly hope it isn't the end...but if his shoulder is really causing this many problems, it's time for him to step down.

What I don't understand is how people still think he is not a hall-of-famer. I think it's not a given that he'll be a first balloter, but a hall-of-famer is definitely in the cards. I don't think I'm a homer for saying that, yet ESPN seems to think he'll squeak in, if at all. Anyone explain that?:confused:

14. msn

msn Member

What really gets my goat is mediots that forecast Frank Thomas with better chances than Bagwell. What on earth?? Dude's power numbers are barely Bagwell's equal, and he had *no* speed and *no* defense. Bagwell is head and shoulders above Frank Thomas, as he is above almost every other 1B in MLB history.

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Mike Wilbon just said on PTI that Bagwell may be Hall of Famer, but not ahead of Jim Rice and Ron Santo.

16. Random.

Random. Member

I love WIlbon's commentary, but keep in mind he's a huge Cubs fan, so he has to mention Santo.

Jim Rice was very good, but if he had played for a lower profile team I'm not sure he'd get mentioned.

17. MadMax

In my mind, Bagwell is the best 1B to ever play in the NL. He's going to the Hall whether Wilbon likes it or not! :)

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Ever? I'd take Stan Musial and Willie McCovey over Bagwell. I think we tend to show alot of favoritism toward Bagwell, I personally think he's a Hall of Famer, but I've heard quite a few national media types say in the last two years that Bagwell still had work to do in order to get in, while Biggio was already basically a lock.

19. MadMax

Musial played the majority of his career as an OF...the first 14-15 seasons of his career, I believe. I have a hard time thinking about Stan the Man as a 1B, though I know he got a good deal of playing time there.

McCovey, on the other hand, was definitely a 1B...a great answer,and you're right. I didn't think of him.

But damn, that's a pretty short list. even if you want to throw Musial out there in it.

20. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Bagwell is a unique 1st baseman because he was such a complete player. Most 1st baseman are there because they can't play anywhere else. Bagwell started at 3B and had great defensive skills. He hit for power and average, walked a lot, scored a bunch and drove in a bunch. Was a threat to steal a base and was a very smart baserunner. Bagwell excelled in every category, not just hitting monster homeruns. Also, he played the majority of his carreer in the cavernous Astrodome. His shoulder was already becoming an issue about the time the Astros moved into Minute Maid.