1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WNBA Still Going Strong?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bobblehead, May 8, 2005.

1. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

I ask this because of the coverage it receives from national and local media.
    It has really taken a backseat to just about every other sport out there. I just get the feeling it's become a very weak league and lost it's pazzaz, popularity, fanbase,whatever you want to call it. Am I wrong?

I know that here in Houston, the Comets are basrely mentioned on any newscast and hardly noticed in the Houston Chronicle. There was a draft that came and went without any coverage that I noticed and I didn't even really notice any local coverage.

Maybe it was only really covered here in Houston when they were winning back in '98 thru 00'.

Again, this is just what it seems to be...maybe I'm blind!!!!

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

the wnba was never 'strong'. It's taken a backseat because it's always been in the trunk. It's lost money every year, and it's only gotten worse. The league blows, and everyone knows it. Haven't we all discussed the $5 vs. wnba championship thoughts? Originally brought up by bill simmons, but also by people on this board. which would you rather have? i'd take the 5

3. Bobblehead

Well I have to agree. I find it to be terrible basketball. Women's basketball is hard to watch because of how awful they play.
    Yeah it's competitive and all...but I hate seeing them throwing balls up like my baby. I've never and will never go to a Comets game anyway. I've heard it's nasty anyway...a bunch of butch dykes in the crowd!!!

4. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

The thing most people dont understand, is that you may look at these players as "woman".....but these woman can play that game. If you put a team of Wnba players against 5 guys from this board....I would bet money on them.

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

its just not as comparable as the men's game..it's kind of boring

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

no doubt. just like pro softball players are better than me, so are pro women's tennis players, and so on. How does that change the entertainment value?

I don't go to and enjoy NBA games because they can beat me. So putting that qualification on the wnba has never helped the argument

7. MykTek

MykTek Member

...no one was complaining when we were winning championships..... I'm still a fan of the comets....they excel at different things then the men's game....it's just were so use to the flash of the NBA and so the WNBA looks bland to most fans.....

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Have they been around ten years yet? I would have expected them to fold as quickly as the XFL did.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

What is the WNBA? Is that like the World NBA or something? Like in London?

10. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

well the WNBA's players still have work if the WNBA folds

[​IMG]

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

Well.. no athlete in any way,shape or form is going to gain any popularity or sponsorship or make it in any respectable league, let alone make a respectable league, for simply beating up on the "average man" on any sport.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If the WNBA was the WNBL, it would have folded after year 1. The NBA heavily subsidizes the league. I don't have a problem with the WNBA. I think it sucks but hey if people want to watch it, that's cool. I hate though how the NBA tries to jam the WNBA down our throats. When I'm watching the NBA I don't want to see or hear anything about the WNBA. All-Star Weekend is such a joke when WNBA "stars" participate. Larry the hot dog vendor has more game.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

exactly, there are no exciting plays to make you jump out of your seat. (like Crazy dunks/facials...etc.)

14. Bobblehead

The only thing the women have going for them is when they drain 3's...which is rare. Women backing it down in the post is a joke to watch. Little turn arounds off the glass.
    It's just sloppy looking basketball.
    Mens high-school basketball is way more exciting and a better brand of basketball.

Now is players were in tight outfits like the Australian nation team and that hot blonde, I might be more interested. Of course most players are nasty lesbians.

15. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Eh. That's not really a good comparison, as those women are professionals who practice and play all of the time. That being said, I suspect that their are five guys on this board that are good enough to beat a WNBA team.

A more fair comparison would be playing them against a men's college team. No professional women's team could beat any men's NCAA division I team. Women pros < men amateurs.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I just can not get used to them making all of those free throws.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The WNBA would explode in popularity if they would just lower the basket to 8 feet. Does anybody remember when Michelle Snow dunked back at Tennessee? That dunk was all over Sportscenter, and that was just a plain old ordinary one handed dunk. That's how the NBA became popular, by marketing the athleticism of it's stars through dunks and alley oops. Sure, the women have skills, but casual fans won't watch women's basketball if they're shooting jumpers all the time.

Think of women's golf if all the women were driving from the men's tees. Nobody would break par! That's what women's basketball is. Sure, the skills are nice to have, but they don't pack much punch without the athleticism to go along with it...

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the question isn't whether any one of us likes it or not. the question is in its economic viability. it has lost money every single year. the nba has propped it up, but it's sucking money.

it won't last that way forever. something has to dramatically change, or it will be history.

19. tested911

tested911 Member

You know whats sad is that the IFOC is more entertaining to watch that the WNBA :)

20. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Watching paint dry is more entertaining than watching the WNBA