1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ABC] Fox Sports Grill charges Rocket fans $75 for viewing party

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, May 8, 2005.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/050805_local_fans.html

By Gene Apodaca

(5/08/05 - HOUSTON) — The Rockets and a local radio station seem fairly upset with how a local sports bar handled the viewing party for Saturday night’s Rockets game. Fox Sports Grill charged fans $75 a head to watch.

"They were charging $75 just to get in," said fan Stephanie Ogbo. "Otherwise you have to wait in line and then they told everybody to get out of the line."

Dozens of fans were shocked to be charged $75 for food and drink minimum, all to watch the Rockets on TV.

"If I had $75 to watch the game, I would probably be at the game," said fan Dante Devine. "So I’ll just go home."

"I think it's ludicrous. It’s not fair," said Ogbo. "We stood in line for a long time. This is a restaurant. They’re making a big deal out of it."

The vice president of Fox Sports Grill said he imposed the charge after Thursday’s game. He said crowds got so out of control one woman s purse was snatched and another woman was groped. He said the charge for reservations helps control the number of customers. But the radio station that promoted the event says they were never informed.

"Yeah, I’m upset about it," said Chance McClain with 610AM radio. "I certainly wish it would have been handled differently. I don’t know if we would have promoted it like we did."

Spokespeople from the Rockets and the Toyota Center, which sponsored the event, says they don’t condone charging fans for what s supposed to be a free event. The Rockets said had they known, they possibly would have chosen another bar. One customer we talked to did.

"We’re going to go to another bar," said Ogbo. "There’s plenty of bars in Houston."

The vice president of Fox Sports Grill said he allowed about 175 people into the bar who didn’t have to pay the $75 fee.

Rockets spokesperson Susan Newquist issued the following statement: "There was no communication between FOX Sports Grill, Toyota and the Rockets that any sort of fee would be charged."…"The Rockets think it's unacceptable."…"The Rockets regret any inconvenience to our fans. We'll be looking into the matter first thing on Monday."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Chance getting quoted..WOOT !!

I don't mind it...people can choose to not pay...

DD

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You don't advertise it as a free event, then when people show up, they're charged that much to get in.

Oh well, that's what they get for going to a place that serves $10 hamburgers. :)

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone cares if they charge or not, but that they did it at the last minute without telling anyone else. It's an inconvenience for people who thought they were going to a free event only to find out later that you have to pay. By the time you leave and go somewhere else, there are no good seats left. I think that the Rockets and 610 see it as a courtesy to advertise to people if there is a fee. Now it seems like they were in on a scam. If people know about a price ahead of time, no one is inconvenienced (aside from those who get groped).

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Depends on the price for groping, I guess? :D

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

they need to have a bigger place

remember back in the day when SRO and OTs were the places (we spread the love out to several bars so everyone could enjoy !)

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Luckily, we found out about this early enough to head out to another bar.

Could you imagine somebody who shelled out the $75, and then on top of it actually had to sit thru that entire game?!?

That would have possibly been the WORST night for me ever, if I had decided to do that.... good thing houston has plenty of great sports bars.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Maybe thats why there was some groping afterwards.

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

$75 doesn't buy as much groping as it used to...

10. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

What a bush-league move by Fox. I am thinking this is the last time the Rockets or 610 has anything to do with them. Atleast I hope so. 75 bucks is ridiculous. Actually any price is ridiculous. It isn't like it was a PPV or anything. I hope ch. 13 does a follow up on this.

11. Fatty FatBastard

Wow. I mean wow.

I have been there once. I was not impressed.

This information is cause for me not only to never go there again, but to make sure anyone I know doesn't go there again.

T-minus how long until we can shut this place down...

Band together, brothers! Fox Sports Grill is history!

12. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

I guess that comment was supposed to make everything alright. What a bunch of jack-a$$e$.

You "allow"175 people in THEN you start charging. I think their management saw dollar signs when all the people showed up then they pulled this stunt.

610am should say something about this place on Monday how they will never do a live broadcast from there anymore.

I cannot believe charging patrons to come and watch a game at your establishment, without prior notification of a charge. And on top of that the game wasn't even a PPV.

Death to Fox Sports Grill!:mad:

13. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

toyota center would have been cool, we used to be able to watch the draft at teh summit,why not? chrage us cheap,have power dancers prizes etc,thatd be cool

14. droxford

droxford Member

I'm sure that whatever income they received from the $75-per-person was not even close to being worth all the bad publicity they've gotten from this.

Fox Sports Grill isn't doing enough things right and won't last long in this town.

-- droxford

15. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Let's ban this loser place - fox sports grill. Champps is where it's at anyhow.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

People actually paid money to watch a game that was FREE on 2 different TV stations? There's a sports bar on every corner in this city, why would anyone do that?

The place I was at last night actually lowered prices for the game. What a concept. $5 pitchers for all Rocket playoff games. No cover. It was packed. When we left, we left about a 30% tip because the service was so good.

You see, they were actually taking care of us instead of taking advantage of us. :rolleyes:

17. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

YAO's place also charged to view game 7, i believe it was 125 a table

we got lucky and the bartender waived our fee which was alot lower anyway, but im pretty sure any bar you would have gone to yest was depressing and painful..theres always next year

i was pretty surprised that they charged though,,they werent in the morn when we called but my mid day they decided to rent he bar area out

18. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Yea... I was there for the game (I'm a TUNDRA) and showed up to a line of people outside...

I had brought three of my friends to watch the game with me, so when I heard $75, I was like Kcuf that (even though I knew I was getting in free for sure). But then I was told that I could get my friends in for free since their with me...

Overall, Bad move by the Fox Sports Grill...

How can you charge when you have Clutch, the Rockets Power Dancers, G-Force, and last but not least, The TUNDRA.

That's what I call star power...

LOL...

19. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Stack didn't charge $75 and I got a table right up front....Viewing parties should all be held at Live Sports Cafe. Bottom line!! Thanks Stack

#19 tim562, May 8, 2005
    Last edited: May 8, 2005
  20. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I was there last night, really really bad move by Fox Sports Grill, I will never go there again.