1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 5/5/2005 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 6)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 3, 2005.

1. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Member

I wasn't aware that the Rockets fans were now complaining about a blown last possession call. I guess you just add them up by the minute.

(All those three's were obviously a desperation attempt to come back when the lead swelled to 10 with under 5 minutes to play)

2. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

I think you know the possession that Rockets fans are upset about. The refs blew it, and it practically handed the game to the Mavs. Don't act like the refs didn't F that one up. Mavs had no business getting those points. That was probably the worst call I've ever seen, right up there with the officiating in the Kings-Lakers series a few years ago.

3. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Member

See. There it is again. "Handed." As if the Rockets didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. You just assume that the Rocks would have won, had that call gone their way.

4. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

Dude, isn't there a Mavs board you should be whining on? The winners post on this site. I don't need to rehash every little detail of Game 5 with you. The refs blew an obvious one in that game with the Finley swipe. You know it and I know it. But the Rockets won Game 6. Decisively.
    See you in Dallas.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But Charles knows what it's like to be the home team in game seven.

Remember this, Charles?

ocelot- His ppg is less than 2 ppg above his averages during the regular seasons in which Dallas made the playoffs, and his FG% was lower before this series' 35% performance.. And as we went over before, his individual performance playoff pedigree pales in comparison to TMac's deeds. He's been exposed this series because he's not a very good passer out of the post.

6. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Member

Dude. I'm not whining. Read your own post and that of your brethren.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

8. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

Me and my "brethren" are coming to Dallas.

9. dabien1

dabien1 Member

Exactly!

This was by far the FAIREST OFFICIATED GAME in all the series.

The refs should just let the teams play....

10. nxw6570

nxw6570 Member

What a great win.
    Tmac answered, Deke barry and MJ answered. Looks like yao's silent. but....

We still need yao to win the series, He and Tmac are our consistant ( or most consistant) scorer, he is taking the roller coaster right now, and saterday is the time his cart will be at peak.

11. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

preach it.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ocelot... how do you, as a Mavs fan, feel about Dirk's performance right now?

As a fan of the NBA in general (and not just the Rockets), I am absolutely stunned... I've never seen him look this sheepish since he was a rookie starving for playing time.

Right now, he's shying away from the ball, deferring to guys like Stackhouse and Terry... and he's yet to be effective without drawing fouls and getting his points at the FT line (and as most Rockets fans will tell you... why does he deserve to get bailed out every time, when he can't make the shots that are cleanly defended).

Are you guys at all worried about this, not just for this series, but for the forseeable future of the franchise, as this indeed is the guy who was supposed to be the foundation for the next 10 years...?

13. dabien1

dabien1 Member

Of course you have to support your MAVS team, hence the unbelievable BIAS in your posts.

However, step out of the "MAVS BANDWAGON" for a sec and just take a look at all the games in this series (except tonight's for the most part), you're honestly going to tell the world that the MAVS have NOT been favored by the refs?

Dirk is the biggest flopper since KARLA and don't even get me started on the NUMEROUS BS calls over games 3, 4, and 5 (not to mention FINLEY outta bounds).

If the tables were reversed, you would wish little AJ would pull a JVG and have the balls to call out the league like he did.

Yeah he got a hefty fine of 100k but if JVG is willing to call out the refs like that, you know there's definitely a legitimate reason for him to do so.

14. aznsexyboi

aznsexyboi Member

We definitely need Yao in Game 7. I sure hope he brings his A-game!:rolleyes:

15. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

Great win by the Rockets. I've been reading the posts and I have yet to read comments on the coaching. I think JVG made some excellent subtle coaching changes during this game. For one he rested T mac more so that he was fresh in the fourth (though he really didn't need him in the fourth =) ). And the second thing that was real good was how he really trusted the offense in other players. A lot of plays I think tonite were designed for MJ and other Rockets and they delievered. I think this is critical to the Rockets success Saturday. The Rockets cannot simply rely on T mac and that pick and roll play to win the game. They need to run plays for Wesley James and the other players.

I have one question for you guys though. Do you think the Rockets D was the reason they won tonite or do you think Dallas just missed shots?

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe that Yao starting helps Deke. Deke is fresher since he doesn't play that many minutes. Also Yao once in awhile busts out some major offense. They both need each other.

17. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

I concur, Nick. No matter who wins this series, Dirk's bubble is burst. This guy has completely failed to show up in this series. Barkley wants to go off on Yao, a young player, but the dude has had two games over 30 points, and he's not even the best player on the team! And he's shooting over 70%!
    How many games has Dirk scored over 30? What's his FG%? How many years has he been in the league and in the playoffs? Tell me who's had the better series.
    Any objective observer has to wonder at what has happened to Dirk. Not a gamer.

18. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

It was definitely both. I saw too many shots go up unconstested in the 4th, where I was like "Nooooooooo!" but amazingly they didn't go in. But anyone who thinks the Mavs just went cold did not watch the same game I did. Deke was a warrior in the paint during the 4th.

19. dabien1

dabien1 Member

Well it's a combination of both.

BECAUSE of the Rockets Great D, the MAVS missed shots down the stretch.

The MAVS were stuck on 80 for 7 min in the 4th, you don't attribute that entirely on the shooting because we all know the OFFENSE is the MAVS forte.......

the DEFENSE won the game for us.....and shall win us this series as well ;)

20. 4cwebb

4cwebb Contributing Member

I've been stunned at Dirk's performance in this series. In the years I watched him play in the playoffs, he rarely, if ever, played this poorly for a game, much less 4 or 5 of 6 games. Sad thing is that Houston has not taken advantage and won this series already. Should already have played game 1 vs. Phoenix at this point if the Rox had just taken care of business at home in the first place.

Good to see TMac come back with a huge 4th quarter in game 6. Solid win for the Rox when they could've just rolled over and gone home after giving up the lead and playing a relatively ineffective 3rd quarter.