1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy fined $100,000

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BSW, May 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

that's not a problem cuz now the ref will call the fouls:cool:

2. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

Van Gundy has just become my Coach of the Year!!!

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Utterly ridiculous...$100K?

Are there any sort of appeals of league fines or anything?

BTW, I am becoming a HUGE JVG fan.

4. heech

heech Contributing Member

JVG needs to get a lawyer, and he needs to sue.

There must be legal recourse to a unilateral fine. I don't care what his employment contract says, you can *always* sue. There's no way that your employer can fine you $100k without due process, if you assert your rights.

So, let's subpoena the NBA's records. Let's publicize the official NBA instructions on officiating. Let's have everyone scrutinize exactly what was, and what was not said about Yao Ming's moving screens.

Thanks for opening pandora's box, David Stern.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From an in-game interview with Stern: Stern says he isn't done with JVG yet. Once the Rockets' playoff run is over, the league will continue its investigation. When asked if JVG would have to name names, Stern replied that he wants to keep his options open. He added that JVG's complaint is standard operating procedure for a coach.

This has the makings for an interesting offseason...

6. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Hey Stern, you can go suck on a Matza ball! Your Nazi way of governing your sport is getting old real fast, wait until more fans stop watching and buying your SH*T, you're sorry AZZ will be gone!

7. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Dude, what's with the "Matza ball" and your "damn that Jewish man" comment in the game thread?

I'm not even Jewish, and I think you're pushing it ...

8. Man

Man Contributing Member

i think it's really unfair for jvg..i mean just for saying something? Wow...and then trying to force him to tell you more later wtf.

I would start a fund to pay it for him..but I think players may help..or owner or something.

Really wtf?

At least it seemed to be fair in the first quarter..if only the whole season was that fair.

But anyways I hate Commisioner Stern now what an a$$ jk :)

9. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Did somebody post this already? The Little Man is hinting at a "lifetime ban," according to the AP. What a little nut.

AP article on Stern's comments

DALLAS -- The NBA fined Houston Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy $100,000 -- the largest amount ever for a coach -- on Monday, a day after accusing officials of targeting center Yao Ming this postseason and saying Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is to blame.

While Van Gundy laughed off the penalty and Yao offered to pick up half the tab, the matter jumped to another, far more serious level. Commissioner David Stern called the fine "an intermediary step," adding that an investigation will continue once the Rockets finish their playoff run.

He said further punishment is possible, even implying that Van Gundy could face a lifetime ban.

"If he's going to say things like that, he's not going to continue in this league," Stern said. "If the attitude reflected in those comments continues to be public, he's going to have a big problem with me as long as I'm commissioner."

10. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

And Yao just got a bs fourth foul because a little gnat was tying him up. BS.

11. 12345

12345 Member

Wow, I can't believe Stern is actually hinting this crap. There's no way JVG's comments are going to get him banned. :rolleyes:

12. Man

Man Contributing Member

Seriously wtf.....

Man I hope something's done.

people at games should have signs that say FDS or david stern is an idiot...stern = idiot..

nowitzki hasn't been getting calls..but that offensive foul on yao was not a good call.

It sucks when that one call basically screws up the momentum for us..and we have to sit Yao out.

#192 Man, May 2, 2005
    Last edited: May 2, 2005
  13. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

It's that little sorry ass dictator that's pushing it not me, take it anyway you want!

14. Susan

Susan Contributing Member

That AP article is seriously disturbing . . .

15. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

I agree that it's unacceptable.

16. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

(On the other hand, I think making fun of his height is OK.)

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

This is horse ****.

Gundy was right, and he knows it.

(one of the few times ill support gundy)

18. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I'm sick of this, the NBA should throw this game out barring a miracle.

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I cancelled my league pass subscription a couple years ago because I couldn't stomach NBA officiating. I've only watched a handful of games since, including Saturday's and tonight's game. As I watched the refs hand the Mavs repeated opportunities to wrap up the game I was reminded of a letter by Ralph Nader:

In a February interview with David DuPree of USA TODAY, he asked you "Why aren't coaches and players allowed to criticize the referees?" You said, "...we don't want people questioning the integrity of officials. ... It just doesn't pay for us to do anything other than focus people on the game itself rather than the officiating." "Integrity" which we take you to mean "professionalism" of the referees has to be earned and when it is not, it has to be questioned. You and your league have a large and growing credibility problem. Referees are human and make mistakes, but there comes a point that goes beyond any random display of poor performance....

It seems that you have a choice. You can continue to exercise your absolute power to do nothing. Or you can initiate a review and if all these observers and fans turn out to be right, issue, together with the referees, an apology ... and forthrightly admit decisive incompetence ..., especially in the crucial fourth quarter.

You should know, however, that absolute power, if you choose the former course of inaction, invites the time when it is challenged and changed — whether by more withdrawal of fans or by more formal legal or legislative action. No government in our country can lawfully stifle free speech and fine those who exercise it; the NBA under present circumstances can both stifle and fine players and coaches who speak up. There is no guarantee that this tyrannical status quo will remain stable over time, should you refuse to bend to reason and the reality of what occurred. A review that satisfies the fans' sense of fairness and deters future recurrences would be a salutary contribution to the public trust that the NBA badly needs.

Deja vu.

20. rocket999

rocket999 Contributing Member