1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Fans can get early jump on a new rep

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Apr 28, 2005.

1. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

I want to know why they will not let us "middle-class" people who borrowed money just to get to go to the game and sit in the nose bleeds cannot move down to the lower bowl and fill the empty seats during the second half?? They check every stub each quarter...Compaq center they just stood there, every game I went to I moved to the seats that I watched stay empty through the entire first half.....

Can someone please tell me why this is?????

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I put this in another thread as well

I like it that this is a national news issue - so the fans are aware of it and the media will be all over it tomorrow when they hear us tonight (section 428 baby !)

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

If I was running it, I wouldn't allow it either for many reasons.

I could see fights breaking out for people claiming seats because no one has a stub to prove they were there first....or someone taking someone's seat while they got up to go to the bathroom, which would be an annoying experience, and economically, why encourage people to buy cheaper tickets thinking they can just move down when they see an empty seat below? You want them to pay for that seat.

I agree it sucks to pay a lot of money for decent seats....the only way i get tickets is through knowing media / sales guys who are in a generous mood. But ya know, at the end of the day it's a business, and winning ain't cheap.

4. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Before I left Houston I was a season ticket holder and was lucky enough to be present at The Summit for both championships. During the regular season the crowds arrived late, but I noticed people got to their seats earlier for the playoffs. The Summit used to rock for the playoffs. Man I miss being there.

I haven't been able to attend a Rockets game yet at TC, so I haven't a clue about the atmosphere of watching a game there.

5. rvpals

rvpals Member

Fans have the easiest job. You guys just need to show up early and bring your A game. Loud as hell, scare the Mavs shtless.

6. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

The real Rocket Fanz sit in the upper deck or nose bleed section.

7. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Ok, I exaggerated a little bit by saying that all true fans are in the upper level. But it's not far from the truth.

I sat at the lower bowl once last year, and all the people surrounded me were talking on the cell phone, eatting, and minding their own business the whole game. When I got loud to cheer for my team, they looked at me like I'm crazy.

I hope that will change during the playoffs.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

So, from people who went to the game, did the H-town fans show up or were they AWOL again?

I did hear a MVP chants on TV, what was it like live?

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

More expensive tickets => more corporate tickets => more 'no shows'/less passion.

Have a few hundred of the premium seats set aside for rabid fans (i.e. Clutch fans) and see what happens...

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I like this. I agree totally. What should we call it, the "ROCKETS ROCKER section?" It's your idea. Feel free to start a poll, my man Cohen. Have people suggest names, then POLL them.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No excuses.

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I see plenty after last nights crowd performance, DD.

Horrible.

The Rockets didn't lose because of the crowd. But crowds inspire players. Thats why they came up with HOMECOURT ADVANTAGE.

Not in H-Town, though. Football is king. No pigskins flying in the Toy Center.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

which hasn't meant a thing in this series.

14. Susan

Susan Contributing Member

I thought it was a good sign before the game that when the Toyota Center cameras focused on one lower bowl fan who brought a poster of "The Dunk" (I think it also had the "Save a Horse - Ride a Mav" caption on it) that fans spontaneously cheered and got very loud, causing a number of Rockets players to look around. . . was that one of us who brought the poster? Bring it again on Saturday!!!

15. twoniner

twoniner Contributing Member

Drink more

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Don't really understand getting to a game late. Sure, traffic/work things happen - but actually just deciding to show up a little later couldn't work for me. I'd much rather be there for the start of the game (at least 30 minutes ahead of time).

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Were you there?

I was and it was loud.

I'm so sick and tired of this whining about the fans. If we're relying on our fans to help the Rockets win a game, then we're probably already screwed. Most of the people doing the b****ing weren't even at the game. So shut up.

18. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

If you were there it was loud. The fans showed up.

But the referees kept blowing the whistles and slowly conditioned the fans to listen for them. The consistent calls against Houston made by the refs took the fans out of this one.

19. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Personally, I think what most people are complaining about is weak. Those who complain watched it on TV.

Perhaps a few things happened that made people think it was quiet:
    -TNT in-arena mics suck
    -the acoustics at TC aren't good. My question about this is when you see the design of AAC versus TC, does the shape of the arena contribute to the decibel that much?

I CLEARLY heard MVP when McGrady was at the line and had the ball when I watched it on TV. I definitely heard 'De-fense' chants, even up until the end of the game (for those hoping for another TMac Miracle:)).

My main complaint about it being quiet (which it definitely didn't sound loud) was int he process of the 20-0 run. Obviously it's the players' faults for absolutely sucking it, but where was the crowd then? Even in Dallas the crowd got loud randomly to get the players going.

Like say when the run was at 8 or 12 straight points...what happened to everyone getting up on their feet and start cheering to get the players going again?

Did that even happen? As far as I know (from watching it on TNT) nothing happened. I'm sure a lot of y'all got up and tried to get everyone in the game, but definitel ynot the whole arena, right?

20. munco

munco Member

The main factor in the Rox losing is not the fans, but arenas that are loud (see Sacramento) create a major home court advantage. I watch the games on TV because I'm in NY, but the TC is known to be a quiet crowd. Even the players have called the fans out in articles.

We're one of the hottest teams in the league, we have one of the most exciting and popular two players in the league so there's no reason the TC shouldn't be loud.

Maybe it was loud last night, but I remember about half way through the game the Rox were storming back and they panned in on the crowd. The majority of the crowd was sitting down and it did not look like a playoff atmosphere at all. Maybe it was loud last night, but it sure didn't seem it.