1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The best midrange shooter in Rockets is....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketFire, Apr 28, 2005.

1. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Ryan "Machine" Bowen. He is shooting very good, i think better than David wesley. If he keeps making all of those shots, than their is no way that Dallas beats us.

2. The Hungarian Rocket

3. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Like 2 per game?
    Nah, I don't want Bowen to shoot unless he is within 6 feet of the basket.

4. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Do you realize Ryan Bowen is shooting .308 for the series while constantly left open? :D

He definately has contributed in the other end and even hit a few jumpers but let's not kid ourselves - He's not gonna be the deciding factor if we win this series, at least not on offense.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I know you're trying to be cute, but in all seriousness, Yao might be the best mid-range shooter on the team... but you can't let him take too many since if he does miss, there is no one left to rebound

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I believe Yao used to be our best midrange shooter. But he hasn't attempted many jumpshots this year, so he's seemingly a bit rusty with it now. I'd pick either Jon Barry or T-Mac. Both can stop and pop that midrange jumper with a lot of confidence.

7. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

In a game of mid-range H-O-R-S-E Yao can take anyone on the team. :p He needs to take some 3's cause he can make'em!! :D Isn't Yao's favorite big man Sabonis?

8. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

Barry doesn't stop and pop mid-range jumper... he pops 3's :D

best mid-range jumper on this team should be Tmac and Mike James....

9. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

It's TRACY MCGRADY. Seriously. That double screen they run for him is money in the bank, and it's an area of his game I'm always slightly surprised with at how consistently dead-on he is; he can do everything else, and it makes me chuckle that he can do this so well too. Jon Barry is a close second, with that stop-on-a-dime fast break jumper that is oh so unorthodox.

10. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Ahem. Yes.

Stuart

11. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Nah, it ain't Bowen. It really is Ming, but it shouldn't be. We really need to see more dynamic shot selection from our bench, with Wesley living and dying by the long jumper. Right now Jon Berry can be our mide range gunner. He has a quick release that he can take advantage of after he dribble penetrates the defense a little. Sura can do this too, as can Wesley if he were so inclined, but really the mid-range gunner role needs to be filled by Barry.

12. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Juwan Howard

13. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Mr_Gootan:

Juwan Howard is not on the playoff roster, so he doesn't count right now going into Game 3 of the first round.

-P1st, S2nd

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Wesley has been money this season coming off that curl play; Juwon did great at the elbow before he went down. It was nice seeing him on the bench in Dallas.

Ryan has hit a few Js this series, but we all know any offense out of him is a pure bonus.

15. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I prefer 2 feet...

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

He doesn't do it in the half-court game, because he's either cutting to the basket or hanging out at the 3 point line. But he does shoot that jumper on transition quite a bit, and it's basically like a layup for him. Very accurate. On a side note, the jumper on the fast break is becoming a lost art these days. Players go for the layup way too much, risking getting blocked or fouled instead of a almost-sure-thing.

17. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

How can it be T-Mac? Despite my unbiased opinion i love McGrady as much as the next guy, and he has been shooting great and smart in the playoff's, but during the regular season what was his shooting %? like 30? That was his only knock for not being considered for MVP, "how can you be a MVP when u only make 30% of your shots?". the ability to rebound after a shot by Yao has nothing to do with mid rang shooting efficiency and obviously has the best shooting %, but Yao gets most of his points down by the basket. However with all that being said i think its either Mike James or,being kinda contridicting now but, T-Mac; For the simple fact that Tracy is our playmaker and if a mid range jumper needed to be made in the closing seconds i want him with the ball, of course..

18. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

You sure checked your facts before posting :D

Tracy shot .431 for the season and about .470 inside the arc. Those aren't exactly the best numbers but he was playing injured a lot and had to adjust to a new system and bla bla blaa.. but you get the point.

19. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

ITS JON B

IVE WATCHED ALL BUT 6 GAMES, THE ENTIRE SEASON...AND NOT ONCE HAVE I SEEN BARRY NOT HIT A MID OR SHORT RANGE JUMPER. HE IS AUTOMATIC.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Johb Barry in a landslide.