1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casserly On the Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketFan007, Mar 31, 2005.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Just what I was talking about....

Seriously, who from the Texans organization has ever mentioned Barron as being the lead candidate? Writers, analysts, and "experts" apparently know something that I dont.

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:BvBtbJVXU80J:msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/%203505318++Crennel+has+Pats+answers+for+Browns%27+ne%3Cbr%20/%3Eeds&hl=en

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

When has anyone with the Texans mentioned anyone as a top candidate? I hope that we don't draft Barron either, but the fact of the matter is, no one knows what the Texans are thinking, except the Texans. And remember that the vast majority of the mock drafts on the web our done by guys much like me and you, I would hardly consider them experts.

3. rezdawg

Exactly. Therefore, there should about 1/3 of the mocks should have us selecting a LB. 1/3 should have us selecting a WR. And 1/3 should have us selecting Barron.

It just doesnt make sense why 95.7% of mocks have us taking Alex Barron.

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

As I said before, most of these mock drafts are done by normal people just like me and you. They look at the Texans and see the number of sacks and Wand at LT, and jump to the conclusion that we need Barron. I doubt most of them have even seen the Texans play more than a game each season. Also, the see a couple of guys start to pick Barron, and they automatically jump on the bandwagon. Take what they say with a grain on salt.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

#1 yes I am sure overlooking Benson is a statistiacal anomoly by Bernies Draft Muching crew but it sort of invalidates their whole effort because you know he should be in there somewhere knocking everyone below him down and one person out and changing the whole dynamic.

If the process ever had any validity anyway.

The Texans better have a bunch of contigencies worked out because I guarantee you something offbeat is going to happen in this daft because there is as little consesus as I have ever seen.

Even at the #1 pick; I would not be shocked to see SF take Braylon Edwards or Antrel Rolle because they can get a quarterback in the second with just about the same odds of success and pay him a lot less if he is a miss. They might be smarter to pick the surest thing playmaker.They could take Arrington in the 3rd and placate the local press.

Wouldn't that start a row of dominoes.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Taking a WR would be crazy, because when their rookie contracts are up, there's no way we could afford to pay Andre plus another star receiver. LT is an obvious area of need, more than a 2nd good WR. A good QB can make do with one good WR - look at who Favre and McNabb have had to work with. Or Marino, Elway, etc.

7. rezdawg

You have to remember, Andre Johnson is the #1 on this team. Anyone else we get will play second fiddle to him. And they will be paid accordingly. If we draft a WR, no way he will deserve to get paid as much as Dre. In conclusion, I wouldnt worry about the contract that would expire 4 years from now.

Look at who you just named...Favre, McNabb, Marino, and Elway...3 of those guys are a few of the greatest to play the game and the other guy is well on his way to having an incredible career. Carr is definitely not in that class yet, therefore, he could use all the help he can get. The Texans receiving corps is not good, plain and simple.