1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[David Alridge]: Lakers want Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fya, Mar 18, 2005.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

You think if he was even considering playing for LA w/ Kobe he wouldn't ask Shaq about it?? Shaq would rip Bryant and suggest him to stay w/ McGrady in Houston.

That passiveness and loyalty to China that we sometimes despise is why he will be loyal to the Rockets.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

1) Am I the only one that dreams of oneday seeing a special Clutch-made headstone with the name EDC on it?

2) yaomania with the MAJOR LEAGUE edc slapdown....good job man....:D

3)and to lostelephant and shaggy,

you aint gotta like it...but when trolls litter our board...we call them on it....stupid is one of the lesser things that could be said about Mr EDC.

btw...

Sura Faints

3. msn

msn Member

Didn't mean to intimate that. Just sharing something funny.

There is a website I've visited more than once that both explains it and lists the top 20 or 25--but unfortunately, I don't have the link. :eek:

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

Yao has already said the most dangerous words an professional athelete can say:
    "It is just business." I think he will consider leaving. Doesn't mean it will happen, but it cannot be ruled out as impossible.

Have the Rockets organization "endangered Yao's loyalty?' The way I see it, Loyalty is earned. Incumbency guarantees very little.

5. tigereye

tigereye Member

I'll clear this up....but this expaination might cause even more confusion amongst the masses....

Houston is the 4th largest city in America.......by Metro population standards.

When it comes to area/region, the Houston are is the 11th largest. This area is even listed behind Dallas-Fort Worth area (9)....(ducks and runs for cover)

My honest belief.......The Rockets wont let it get this far. Yao wont have a bidding war come 2007. Cuase the Rockets are saving up so they can lock him on on the first shot they have in 2006. Hence the Mo Taylor salary dump deal. Hence all the two year/one year deals that most players havethat will coincidently expire around the time the Rockets get their first shot to lock Yao for life. I like the way this organizationhas played its cards, there gonna have alotta money waiting for Yao....now lets hope they dont overpay him to keep him.

As for Yao's loyalty......most people here think of his loyalty as only being loyal for the team. But what about the city? I have not heard one peap form Yao that he hates Houston. In fact, he's given this city nothing but love....partially for the number of easy-to-find hamburger joints this city has. I think come 2006, the feelings and loyalty he has for this city will end up playing the biggest impact of all in this decision.

And best of all.....Scott Boras isnt around this time to sway his decision. Its just the Chinese government ....which might make things just as interesting.

6. edc

edc Contributing Member

Don't forget "Team Yao," who could have their own reasons for wanting him in a bigger media market than Houston.

7. li_chen18

li_chen18 Contributing Member

I just got so sick of the whole"Yao will leave" or "Team Yao wants him to be in a bigger market"thing.

You will stay. He loves Houston and will retire as a Rocket. Period.

8. tigereye

tigereye Member

Umm...Way off here kid....

Team Yao could have done this a long time ago if they were concerned about the market size of Houston having a negative effect on Yao landing endorsement deals.

To be exact, 3 years ago.....

If they didnt want him in Houston, they could have had him pull a "John Elway/Steve Francis" and say "dont draft me.... or if you do...trade me here___." It for Elway and Francis. It has worked numerous times before and would have worked with Yao in this case too.

Why?

LA might not have wanted him then cause of Shaq's presence, which was then secure. But New York, the biggest media market of them all, would have traded the Garden to land Yao as they were (and still are) desperate to find someone to "fill the seats." This deal would have worked for everybody....China would still have their "national treasure" in the NBA and Team Yao would have its "big market " for Yao.

Just one problem.....it didnt happpen that way.

So I guess its "back to the drawing board" for that idea of yours....

9. roxy

roxy Member

you have to treat yao right
    12 shots for him per game
    is not right

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The LA Times was wrote a great artile on the Lakers last week....

Bugle Sounds, but It May Be 'Taps'

Cap room in a year or two?

They can have cap room in the summer of 2007 — after this season and two more — if they let everyone but Bryant, Odom and Caron Butler go by then.

Let's say Yao Ming is a) willing to leave Houston and b) come here for $20 million less than the Rockets offer. To preserve even that slim chance, the Lakers would have to move one of the big three — or everyone else, including their 2005, 2006 and 2007 No. 1 picks by then.

In other words, they can spend the next two seasons trying to improve or saving cap space. Doing both at the same time will be a good trick.

11. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Better make that a cup. Glass is too dangerous for some. :p

;)

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When edc speaks, Sura faints.

13. edc

edc Contributing Member

Let me make myself perfectly clear. I want Yao Ming to stay in Houston. I believe Yao Ming will stay in Houston. However, I'm realistic enough to say he could possibly leave, and if he chose to do so, he has perfectly valid reasons to consider that option.

A light breeze could cause someone of Sura's age to faint ;) [JOKE]

14. birdman

birdman Contributing Member

as far as i know, most chinese fans do not prefer other teams, especially kobe' team

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'd love to see the Lakers dump salary for their big free agent push for Yao.

Sorta like how Grant Hill and T-Mac and Duncan made Orlando championship....oh wait....:D

16. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Thats what people said about Hakeem.

17. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

If Yao leaves in the last year or two of his career having won two championships, played for a 3rd, and been the the conference finals a couple more times with the Rox, I won't complain.

18. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Yea, IF Yao is let go, McGrady will demand to go. They will be the cornerstone of the other franchise.

19. tigereye

tigereye Member

And with all respect....that's true. You have a point.

But I'm curious as to your response on my counter on one of those valid reasons you brought up.

If Team Yao didn’t want him in Houston for marketing reasons, they were closer then anyone and had enough power to convince Yao to tell the Rockets either not draft him or trade him.

And me being from New York, I know how bad the Knicks would have loved to get there hands on Yao. Forget LA, we have a larger Asian population then some Asian countries have. And as for that "media market" size, no one can even compare. In fact, I remember Stephen A Smith writing an article in the Philly Enquirer that stated that if the Knicks had landed the top pick, it would have been a conspiracy by Stern to get the team that plays in the "biggest media market" some excitement and market savvy again. This would have been a match made in heaven...all Yao had to do was pull a "Steve Francis" come draft time.

That didn’t happen

And as far as I'm concerned, being in Houston hasn’t negatively effected his marketing at all. The simple mere fact that he is from China and is considered there national treasure, their Micheal Jordan, makes him as marketable as any one player can be, no matter if they play in Memphis, Houston, or New York.

The success or failure of Yao's marketing will come down to one thing.....how Team Yao effectively markets there product. And since were speaking about marketing, endorsement deals...you can take this fact to the bank.

Furthermore, the end conclusion of this in my opinion, it will bear no meaning when it comes time for Yao to decide if he should stay or go. What will be the biggest factor is his decision is which place he feels be best for him and his family.

I say this is where Houston has the ultimate advantage as he and his family are already making investments for the family's future in this city. Need an example….just take a visit to Yao's $1.5 million dollar new eatery on prime real estate at Westheimer, just three miles away from Houston's Chinatown.....

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

That's not a good example. Those in the know know Rudy could have come back the next season.