1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin, the next Robert Horry?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Griffin41, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Griffin41

Griffin41 Member

Remember when Robert entered the leauge and how people were saying that he is a great defensive player who can block shots, rebound and etc. I see the same thing happening to Griffin.

------------------

2. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

I think he'll be a Marcus Camby with a shot and a better overall game. Check out the profile of Griffin from the Sporting News:

Player: Eddie Griffin
    Ht./Wt.: 6-9/220
    School: Seton Hall (declared after freshman season)
    Pos.: Small forward

Defining characteristic: Generally regarded as the top talent in this year's draft, a potential franchise player who excels as a scorer, rebounder and shot blocker.

Strengths: There's very little Griffin can't do on the floor. He is a terror around the lane, as he finishes strong, is great on the glass and is an intimidator because of his ability to block shots (4.4 a game last season). He also can't be forgotten about on the perimeter. Griffin is an excellent athlete; he runs the floor exceptionally well. He scored in double figures in all but one of his 30 games as a freshman last season on his way to averaging 17.8 points. Griffin's 10.8 rebounds a game ranked fifth nationally last season.

Weaknesses: In big games, Griffin's shot selection (or should we say shot accuracy) was poor. He was 7-for-26 against Illinois, 4-for-17 against Michigan State, 8-for-30 in two games against Georgetown. Griffin's critics point to the stat-padding games he had against the St. Peter's of the world. Griffin needs to shoot better from long range to be a top-flight small forward in the NBA. Griffin scored below his average in six of his final eight games, which makes one wonder if he's ready for an 82-game schedule. Griffin can be a selfish player on the court, and he has a history of volatile behavior off the court. He needs to mature.

Amateur highlight: Or in this case, it is a lowlight. Griffin entered Seton Hall as the consensus No. 1 prep player in the nation but his short stay there will best be remembered for him punching teammate Ty Shine in the locker room following a midseason loss to Georgetown, which triggered a freefall from the top 10 to the NIT.

NBA comparison: Marcus Camby, Knicks
    Like Camby, Griffin is a rangy, lanky player who can score, run the floor and block shots.

Outlook: Also like Camby, Griffin will have some dazzling moments early in his career but may also need some time to grow physically and emotionally before he finds his niche in the league. If Griffin keeps his head on straight, he can be a future NBA All-Star because he will bring an impressive package of talent to a team.

------------------
    http://www.cld9.com/chris/nbau.html

3. IVFL

IVFL Member

I would not mind if he turned out like Horry when its a big game. horry always played his best when it was an important or playoff game, however I saw him float through games sometimes too. If that boy would have been serious all the time I think he could have been great. However I think the comparisons between griffin and Camby are not fair. for one camby has no O, his shot looks like he broke his arm and is still recovering. griffin has a nice stroke and a post up game wich camby sorely needs. I do think they are similar in their defensive styles but thats about it.

------------------

4. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

If i remember correctly, Horry was moved to the power forward position during the playoffs, a position he didn't like, but excelled at during the playoffs. I remember that there were many "future Scotty Pippen" comparisons coming from the media around that time.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

5. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

.... and I forgot the actually put the point of my post in my post. If Eddie Griffin ends up being the same kind of crunch time player Horry was/is, then I'd be quite happy.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

6. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Hopefully, Eddie will be a lot better than Robert. Robert disappears for long stretches of time, and then manages to appear in clutch situations. Hopefully, Eddie will be more consistent and still come through in the clutch. My expectations for Eddie is to become the next SAR or better, definitely not the next Horry.

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

[This message has been edited by LiLStevie3 (edited July 09, 2001).]

7. Griffin41

Griffin41 Member

yea, same here

------------------
    Are you a GHANDU?

8. Kodinh

Kodinh Contributing Member

who is SAR?

------------------

9. Kodinh

Kodinh Contributing Member

ohhh you mean shareef
    that would be great if eddie turned into a shareef

------------------

10. Live

Live Member

BTW, has Eddie or Terrance signed a contract yet?

------------------

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

No

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.

12. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

You bet it would be great if Eddie turned into a Shareef. I think Eddie and Shareef have pretty similar games, but Eddie is a lot better shot blocker.

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center