1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Texas' new Lt. Governor Democratic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ZRB, Dec 13, 2000.

Tags:
  1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I heard somewhere that the new Texas gov would be democratic. If this is true, then I don't feel so bad about Moron becoming the new prez. Seriously though, is he?

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Excuse my topic title, I meant:
    Will Texas' new governor be democratic?
    Not Lt. Gov

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited December 13, 2000).]

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Perry is a republican. He used to be a democrat though.

------------------
    "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence ?

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The next Texas Governor is most certainly a Republican. There is a chance, however, that the acting Lt. Governor, once (P)Rick Perry assumes the Governor's office, could be a Democrat.

The State Senate will choose one of their own to be the acting Lt. Governor until the next election. While the Republicans control the State Senate, their margin is very slim, and a Democrat could potentially be selected. The chances probably aren't very good, though.

On the upside for Democrats, though, is that (P)Rick Perry isn't all that attractive a candidate, so if the Democrats put an attractive candidate up against him in 2002, the Dems could win back the Governor's Mansion.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Thanks.

------------------

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Apparantly, the turncoat's main priority is to discontinue the issuance of tickets by the DPS in Texas.

I read in the Austin Chronicle that Tony Sanchez, president of the UT Board of Regents, will most likely be the Democratic candidate for governor in '02, and they think he has an excellent shot at beating the turncoat. (Of course that is coming from the ultra-liberal rag in the city)

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

7. mrpaige

I think we have to wait to see what Henry Cisneros does before we annoit anyone the Democratic nominee in 2002. Cisneros recently retuned to Texas and may well be preparing to seek the nomination in 2002. Despite his relatively high-profile problems a few years ago, he'd still be an attractive candidate.

I think many good Democratic candidates will throw their hats into the ring for 2002 since there is an excellent chance of unseating Perry.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

8. mrpaige

By the way, the Houston Press listed several potential Democratic Candidates in a story a week or two ago. Tony Sanchez is listed, and they put Cisneros as a possible candidate for Senate against Phil Gramm. John O'Quinn (a lawyer from Houston) is also listed as a potential Gubernatorial candidate.

Sanchez was a Bush contributor, by the way, raising at least $100,000 for the Bush Presidential Campaign.

Ron Kirk (who is listed as the Former Mayor of Dallas, something that is probably news to him. Last I checked, he was still mayor of Dallas), Sylvia Garcia, John Sharp and Paul Hobby are also listed as potential candidates for state offices (they don't say which ones)

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

10. dc sports

dc sports Member

Hmm. If this is the platform, I wonder who Kagy will vote for? [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Governor Lee P. Brown?

12. mrpaige

An article about Perry and his plans:

Farewell Yalie, howdy Aggie
    Perry's road from Paint Creek leads to Governor's Mansion
    By POLLY ROSS HUGHES
    Copyright 2000 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN -- He hails from a cotton farm in Paint Creek but looks like he just stepped off the pages of GQ magazine.

Republican Lt. Gov. Rick Perry, 50, who nominated George W. Bush as the GOP presidential candidate last summer, now follows the long-awaited president-elect to the Texas Governor's Mansion. He is expected to take on the new job as soon as Bush resigns, probably sometime next week.

It remains to be seen, however, how quickly Texans will warm to the photogenic Perry, a politician who so looks the part that it's been joked he was ordered straight from central casting.

"Well, certainly you're not going to see a great philosophical difference between Rick Perry and George Bush," Perry said Wednesday as he unveiled his transition team. "Stylewise, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe it will be the difference between a Yalie and an Aggie."

Perry, the man who will become governor of Texas, is a farm boy at heart, an Aggie, a good sport who once agreed to spoof himself by appearing with a live goat on stage at a journalists' comedy revue.

"Rick Perry is probably the truest Texan you'll ever run into," said David Weeks, a political consultant who has worked with Perry since his first election to the Texas House 16 years ago. "If you could write a script or a story about the Texan who grew up in Texas and became a leader, you'd write the Rick Perry story."

Perry is a former state legislator and one-time conservative Democrat, raised by Democrats, who switched to the Republican Party to run for agriculture commissioner against Democrat Jim Hightower in 1990.

"I've been in this city as a member of the House of Representatives for six years, a statewide elected official and an agency head for eight years, president of the Senate and lieutenant governor for two years, so I have a fairly good grasp of what's going on, what we're doing," Perry said. "Yet, the bully pulpit of the governor of the state of Texas is invaluable."

Perry has carved out an agenda for the next legislative session that appears to avoid ideological overtones. His top priority is higher education, followed by a plan to address traffic jams with faster highway construction and strategies for tapping into the new digital economy.

"Only one in five Texans -- just 20 percent -- have a college degree. That's not good enough," Perry said earlier this year in a speech. On Wednesday, he said he wants every Texas child to go to college, regardless of "where they live, what their address is, the sound of their last name, the color of their skin."

Indeed, Perry plans to be the first governor since John Connally in the mid-1960s to focus on higher education. A report of his special commission on 21st century universities is due for release the first week of January.

Perry embraces a philosophy, said his spokeswoman Kathy Walt, that education strengthens economic development, reduces crime and addresses other societal ills. The new governor hopes to expand higher education grants and student financial aid among other goals.

Although he has made a small fortune from real estate and stock transactions, Perry wasn't "born into wealth," said Walt.

Indeed, when Perry was a young boy, the home at the family farm didn't have indoor plumbing, according to his friends.

He grew up with rural values, Weeks said, noting that Perry was an Eagle Scout, and his own son is about to follow suit. A pivotal moment for Perry came when he fulfilled his dream of attending Texas A&M University, where he became an Aggie yell leader, a student senator and joined the Corps of Cadets in 1968 at the height of the Vietnam War.

He went on to join the Air Force and flew C-130 cargo planes for five years before returning to help his father, a Democratic Haskell County commissioner, back on the farm. He married high school sweetheart Anita Thigpen 17 years after their first date, and they have two children.

At Texas A&M, Perry met fellow Aggie John Sharp, who became a friend, only to challenge him later as his Democratic rival for lieutenant governor two years ago. Sharp questioned a series of land deals and stock purchases Perry made while in office, including one in which Perry made about $330,000 on a $36,000 land investment in less than 20 months. Perry responded that he was lucky and had invested his money wisely.

Fellow West Texan Ric Williamson of Weatherford, who insists that Perry is "honest to a fault," said they met when both were running for the Legislature from neighboring districts in 1984.

"When you're raised in rural Texas, you learn at an early age to not shine, to not let people know how smart you might be or how dumb you might be, how slick you might be or how rough you might be," Williamson said.

Contrary to critics who question Perry's intellect, Williamson said he is politically astute in the same way as Democratic House Speaker Pete Laney, a politician from the Panhandle.

"I can tell you categorically that the guy is way, way smarter than anyone realizes," Williamson said.

A contemporary of Perry's, Austin lobbyist and former state Sen. Kent Caperton, said great depth or intellectual prowess is not actually needed in the state's governor.

"I think that's an accusation made by detractors," he said. "Let's be honest. When did we last have an intellectual giant as governor?"

At various stages, Perry has been no stranger to controversy. He gained national attention in 1996 when he unsuccessfully urged former state Attorney General Dan Morales to use the state's "veggie libel" law to sue a vegetarian who told Oprah Winfrey that "mad cow" disease could affect the American meat supply.

In 1995, Perry urged Texas school boards to withhold use of the textbook Environmental Science: Ecology and Human Impact, because he said it equated agriculture with "pestilence and death."

More recently as lieutenant governor, he raised a stir twice last summer. In one instance, he grumbled at a state trooper for delaying him by stopping the driver of his car for speeding, footage of which was broadcast on TV newscasts. Then he drew protests from public watchdogs for sending a letter to lobbyists in July, suggesting they pledge campaign money on behalf of specific clients.

But Perry has always managed to pick up the pieces and move on, displaying a survival instinct essential in politics.

After all, he thought his career was doomed back in 1986 when he learned that an anti-drug video he sent to schools in his House district had an unsavory surprise ending.

The anti-drug message abruptly switched to a nude couple in bed, much to the entertainment of 30 high school freshmen. The mistake was actually the fault of the House Technical Services staff, which had copied the anti-drug video over the movie 1984.

And, from there, Perry began his climb as Texas' most famous Democrat to switch to the Republican Party in the 1980s, as the agriculture commissioner who would defend cattle from being libeled, as the lieutenant governor who narrowly defeated the popular John Sharp, and as Texas' 47th governor.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

13. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

You got me, dc, you got me. [​IMG]

14. Ih8walton

Ih8walton Contributing Member

The Bryan/College Station Eagle has this to report about him:

Perry to become first Aggie governor

Scary, huh!

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Ih8walton (edited December 14, 2000).]

15. BrianKagy

No, that's a good thing. With an Aggie Governor, we'll have cold fusion and maroon versions of every organically grown vegetable out there!

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I always thought he turned in '94 when everyone else did. I have a little more respect for him. Just like Dubya, I hope he does a good job.

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I heard that Perry might not run for election of governor. Apparently Kay Bailey Hutchison may want the job. She'd be a pretty formidable opponent for any democrat to beat in this state.

------------------

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I miss Ann Richards.

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

19. BrianKagy

There's no documented evidence of Bush "snorting coke", only unsubstantiated rumors. Richards' alcoholism and treatment are documented fact.

I only asked because Bill Maher and Jay Leno seem to think Dubyah's drinking was really funny. I wondered then if we could make similar jokes about Richards being too busy polishing her tonsils with Vitamin XXX to return to politics.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Not the "unsubstantiated rumor" argument!

As for alcoholism, both Bush and Richards have been through it. I hope they are both recovered and never suffer a relapse. Several close members of my family have had this disease and I don't think its funny in the least. I don't think its funny when Leno or Maher joke about it, and I don't think its funny now. But then, I almost never think Maher is funny.

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com